Determined to break old habits!

Today is the 375th day of my streak! I lost 37 lbs and have been maintaining for about 8 months. Then I fell back into old habits and stopped weighing myself for a couple of months. That is usually how I gain weight. This morning I weighed and found that I am up 6 lbs, so I changed my calorie limit to lose 1 lb a week.

This support community really helps me stay accountable, so feel free to add me if you're looking for support, too!

Replies

• jacobsl221
    jacobsl221 Posts: 75 Member
    I, too, feel the community is a great support. Stick to the calorie counting for awhile and you will get back. I think it was brave to try to go without weighing for so long!
  • donovanwoodworking
    donovanwoodworking Posts: 25 Member
    Way to go! Getting back on the horse. Losing weight, watching what you eat, exercising is hard. At least for me it is. I will add ya!

Tim
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    I don't know if I'll ever trust myself enough to stop weight or calorie logging. And truthfully, I really don't have a driving reason to. That and daily reading on the boards keeps me on track.
  • aubintex
    aubintex Posts: 29 Member
    Thanks, everyone. For me it's like, "I'll weigh after my vacation . . . I'll weigh after that time of the month . . . " and it just keeps going.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I'm a couple of weeks into maintenance and am playing with eating more of my exercise cals and adding cals back into my total slowly. Aside from that I'm doing everything same as before and so far so good. I think I need to keep logging indefinitely, it's really either all or nothing.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    aubintex wrote: »
    Thanks, everyone. For me it's like, "I'll weigh after my vacation . . . I'll weigh after that time of the month . . . " and it just keeps going.

Dont completely avoid weighing in, but if you think it would mess with your head then wait about 3-5 days for the water weight to come off. I actually force myself to see the damage done right when I come back and weigh in everyday to see how long it takes my body to regulate. I like seeing all the data and remember it for the next time i'm on vacation.
  • MrsJ1210
    MrsJ1210 Posts: 135 Member
    The bathroom scales can become an enemy when you weigh yourself too often as if you're like me you become paranoid. The kitchen scales, however, are now my best friend.
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    I am going on vacation soon and contemplating taking the scale with me. Its a beach vacation so I will have plenty of activity to walk off those restaurant meals and cocktails. I am a daily scale guy. I have gotten used to the normal fluctuations. I have found some comfort in knowing daily even on those days when its not being so nice to me.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Today is the 375th day of my streak! I lost 37 lbs and have been maintaining for about 8 months. Then I fell back into old habits and stopped weighing myself for a couple of months. That is usually how I gain weight. This morning I weighed and found that I am up 6 lbs, so I changed my calorie limit to lose 1 lb a week.

This support community really helps me stay accountable, so feel free to add me if you're looking for support, too!

Congratulations on your loss. You should be proud that you caught yourself before you gained more. Good luck!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I don't think i can go that long without knowing where i am. I usually weight every morning, fluctuations are expected and stopped frustrating me long time ago. Good thing that you caught it relatively early, would not be too hard to correct a few pounds.
  • MrsJ1210
    MrsJ1210 Posts: 135 Member
    I like to let my clothes tell me how I'm doing a lot of the time. They often tell me better than the bathroom scales.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member

With only 6 lbs to lose, it is best to set it to .5 per week.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »

With only 6 lbs to lose, it is best to set it to .5 per week.

It is very easy for inaccurate logging to eat up the deficit of the.5 lb option, so I usually recommend the 1lb at a minimum.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    adipace815 wrote: »
    I am going on vacation soon and contemplating taking the scale with me. Its a beach vacation so I will have plenty of activity to walk off those restaurant meals and cocktails. I am a daily scale guy. I have gotten used to the normal fluctuations. I have found some comfort in knowing daily even on those days when its not being so nice to me.

I took both my bathroom and food scale with me on a recent ski vacation (we had condos with kitchens, so the food scale was used then). I loved the fact that I stayed in habit, despite the good natured ribbing from my ski mates.