Green almond calories

Options
amusedmonkey
amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
I can't find nutritional info anywhere. Many sources say they're the same as regular roasted almonds but this can't be right, maybe they mean the kernel (white) part? I eat the green shell as well. Fresh almonds have a much higher moisture level so they can't have the same caloric density. The shape and consistency is similar to unripe peaches, if anyone has a peach tree they would know what I mean.

Ideas?

fresh-almonds-550x366.jpg

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    Options
    For what it's worth, and in case someone comes across this thread for an answer, I've figured out how to guess at their calories.

I had 140 grams (about a cup), so I weighed 140 grams again and counted individual almonds. 23 almonds in this case. I used the database entry of "1 almond" then added a 120 gram peach. Total calories for roughly a cup of green almonds estimated at 200 calories.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I had no idea you could eat them this way. How do they taste compared to shelled almonds?
  • amusedmonkey
    edited April 2017
    Options
    They're entirely different. They have a grassy, ever so slightly tart flavor and they're quite mild, and crunchy like a softer carrot. The center is what forms the almond when it ripens and is a white membrane encapsulating a subtly sweet gel-like substance. They are fuzzy like a peach on the outside, but the fuzziness feels a bit denser than peaches and doesn't rub off when you wash it. They taste fresh and nothing like the ripe nut and are amazing simply dipped into a bit of salt.

The season for them is very short, only 2-3 weeks before the green part starts getting too tough to be enjoyable so if you wish to look for them better start now.
  • pillowjammies
    pillowjammies Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's hilarious. 4 years later and I was looking for this exact info. TY! I can finally count the green almond calories:)