My Fitness Pal Only

Options
Just curious as to how many people here have only went by the My Fitness Pal app and guidelines? I was on another program but seem to have more success with this app than other paid programs. Also do you use the recommendations for macros and calories from MFP or did you get your numbers somewhere else? Thinking of dropping my other programs and sticking with exercise and MFP.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I used the calorie goal from MFP to lose all my weight (40+ pounds) and am using it to maintain that weight loss. I set my own macros based on my lifestyle and preferences.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    tayragd wrote: »
    Just curious as to how many people here have only went by the My Fitness Pal app and guidelines? I was on another program but seem to have more success with this app than other paid programs. Also do you use the recommendations for macros and calories from MFP or did you get your numbers somewhere else? Thinking of dropping my other programs and sticking with exercise and MFP.

I just use this site for tracking purposes. I set my own goals.
  • ninjamere1
    ninjamere1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's all I use now and the only one I've had success with. I do aim for slightly different macro goals but it all comes down to ease of tracking calories. Plus it's free

I also recommend it to others when they ask how I'm doing it.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Me. It's worked very well.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    This is the only app I use, and it's working great for me
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I've used it for 10 years. Lost my weight and have kept it off using the tools provided.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I use several apps.

MFP is useful for it's food tracking / calorie database.

I use S Health for tracking steps. (Mostly steps while stair-climbing, so I can estimate how far I went.)

For logging my workouts, I use Simple Workout Log. Like the name suggests, it's a very simple app with a very efficient layout. Easy to quickly see things like "How much weight did I use last week on this exercise?" or "did I do 8 reps or 10 reps last time?".

I enter my weight on all three apps because I find it rewarding, LOL.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I use MFP to track my food, but that's it. I tried setting MFP to various activity levels, but none of them were quite right for me. Instead, I use a Fitbit with a HRM and eat 500 cals/day under whatever my Fitbit tells me. I think MFP is great for calories in but I would rather have something else to accurately track my calories out.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Just MFP for tracking food.

But when it comes to exercise, I use several things. :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    When I started out I used MFP and tracked my walks in SHealth (didn't track other steps just walks from place to place). I've now invested in a Garmin tracker and I use MFP for tracking my food and Garmin for my exercise, I have the apps synced so they work together.

In terms of Macros I've set my own to account for slightly higher fat intake, as that's what seems to be working for me for satiety.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    tayragd wrote: »

This is all I use. I monitor calories but don't look at the other numbers much except sugar, as I was pre-diabetic a year ago. Some say this means I should watch the Carbs number as well, but I don't.
  • moonbeam568
    moonbeam568 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I only use MFP and it's working great for me. Daily logging your food really puts into perspective what you are putting in your mouth! Down 5 lbs so far and not looking back!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,148 Member
    Options
    Only MFP (day 1563). Love the tools on here, love the community forums and all the info packed sticky notes in each category. Used their numbers for a while, now I check in periodically with a dietician and we tweak things so I set those numbers (I have PCOS).
  • TPetey55
    TPetey55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    MFP is great for tracking what I eat, but I don't pay too much attention to calories as long as I'm hitting my macro goals. I shoot for 5% net carbs (carbs minus dietary fiber), 65-70% fat and 25-30% protein. The high-fat diet keeps me always feeling full, and since I don't eat when I'm not feeling hungry, my calories stay down naturally. I've only been doing this for about 6 weeks and I'm 18 pounds down from where I started.
  • TPetey55
    TPetey55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    This is all I use. I monitor calories but don't look at the other numbers much except sugar, as I was pre-diabetic a year ago. Some say this means I should watch the Carbs number as well, but I don't.

Obviously, if you're doing fine, keep doing what you're doing, but if your bloodwork still looks pre-diabetic, you should probably consider watching carbs as well because, for the most part, carbs are sugar. Except for fiber, digestion turns all carbs into sugar.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    TPetey55 wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

Obviously, if you're doing fine, keep doing what you're doing, but if your bloodwork still looks pre-diabetic, you should probably consider watching carbs as well because, for the most part, carbs are sugar. Except for fiber, digestion turns all carbs into sugar.

Digestion turns all food into glucose. Tony should listen to his doctor.