Step tracker and running - double dipping on the exercise diary?

Options
fitbethlin
fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
I have a Jawbone Up3. I have MFP set to adjust my calories based on the activity that tracker records, including a downward adjustment if I'm not moving much during the day.

On days when I go for a run though, I also have a separate HR monitor to calculate the calories burned. My step counter is counting those steps too.

Today the exercise log said -78 calories before my run because I've been sitting at my desk nonstop for 4 hours. Now that the run is over, it's saying burned 380 calories from my step tracker over the whole day AND 370 from my HR monitor from the run.

I think I'm double dipping, but I'm not really sure how to adjust for it. Anyone out there know?

(Note: I don't actually eat back the calories or anything, but I like using the estimate to help me figure out if I'm getting close to a 500 cal deficit everyday. It also helps me compare one day to another - if I'm starving one day, I sometimes look back and realize I've been running a much bigger deficit for the past few days. These are all mind games that help me keep my urge-to-splurge under control.)

Replies

• blh202
    blh202 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sounds confusing. I'm sure there is an easier fix as these trackers are to help us not make us work harder.

I just eat my 1200-1400 calories for the day and move. Any exercise helps with that deficit. Love watching the activity from my tracker but I don't utilize this option to keep track of deficit so not very helpful here.
  • Salvager66
    Salvager66 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hmmm interesting! Instead of 380 after the run, what does it say, if sync'd at the end of the day with the JawB?
  • fitbethlin
    Options
    I'll let you know at the end of the day! :) I know the Jawbone will sync more calories burned because I still have more steps to take (gotta walk the dogs and gotta walk to the grocery store to get more almond milk).
  • Salvager66
    Salvager66 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ok, lol wasn't sure when u are, it's midnight here in Johannesburg, South Africa. It seems correct then, i.e. all the information / calorie counts you need are coming from the JawB (incl workout data).

So u just need to de-sync the feed from the HR monitor to MFP, but keep the feed from HR monitor to JawB. Is that the case currently?
  • fitbethlin
    Options
    I definitely need to just wait until the end of the day. I think MFP was projecting the calories I'd burn if I kept up my movement at a higher rate for the day. Now that I'm back behind a desk, the Jawbone calories have gone back down to "3" - probably because I told the Jawbone app that I was on a run for that time. Or not. Who knows. I'll do a retrospective look at it all tomorrow rather than trying to keep up with it as the day progresses.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I know MFP will not double count exercise you log and that gets reported by a step counter as long as you put the correct start time in. Honestly not sure about its ability to correct if two different devices are reporting, but one would think it could apply the same rule.