Just Dance?

Options
Anyone used the Just Dance game as exercise? I've done it every day this week for 45 minutes, just wondering how much good it will actually do because I really enjoy it!

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Its excellent exercise! Dancing is a fat burning machine!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dont do just dance but ive been doing Wii DDR at night for my cardio . i think its awesome, anything that gets you up and moving around is a good thing. dancing is great exercise, and less boring than the treadmill
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I know a relative that loves that kind of stuff. Personally, I can't stand it.

It just depends on what you're into. It's better to burn less doing something you like than force yourself to do something you're more likely to quit.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    according to my fitbit and other bands i have worn over the years , dancing burns as much as jogging
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    That sounds like fun! I got my kids a PS4 for Christmas this past year, and I've seen that game and thought of getting it for them, but maybe I should get it for ME! :smiley:
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you love it, its the best kind of exercise :flowerforyou: I'd be careful not to overestimate how much you burn though. Do you eat your exercise calories back?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    That's a good way to burn some calories and have some fun!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Just Dance is my favorite form of cardio. My boys (2 & 5) love to join me. In fact they are telling me we need to dance right now :laugh:

(I've used games like Just Dance as a form of cardio all through my weight loss. It definitely hasn't hurt.)
  • daddyspuddin
    daddyspuddin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ive done it 4-5 days a week as basically my only exercise and I've lost 15 ish pounds in the last 6 weeks
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm a fairly advanced dancer, trained in lindy hop and several other styles. From a fat-burning and fitness perspective, I'd say that it's a good moderate form of exercise -- not excellent, but it can be good. If you want to make it really vigorous, you can go for some energetic Charleston or work in some plyometric moves.

For your typical dance class or session though, I'd rate this as moderately effective. As SonyaCele said, it's on a par with jogging -- not strenuous, but it burns calories more than a stroll or other light cardio.

It doesn't do much for strength, so I wouldn't make it the cornerstone of one's fitness efforts. For many people though, it tends to be more enjoyable, so it's a good starting point for people who might be otherwise averse to intense interval training or strenuous boot camp workouts.