12 lbs in four weeks

Options
So I've lost 12 lbs in a little over four weeks. I'm 5'6 and went from 222 to 210, but I'm asking if this is a healthy amount to lose? I frequent these forums and people often say if you're losing quickly then you're losing muscle. I eat 1500 calories a day and work out through skateboarding at least 30 minutes a day, walking, and bench press 3 times a week. Is this well enough to keep muscle and continue losing fat?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's common to lose a lot of water weight at first. If this rate keeps up, then up your calories.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It might just be water weight I've heard that often people lose a lot of water weight. Continue taking a look at your rate of loss in the next few weeks of it stays the same increase your calorie intake. Also is 1500 the amount mfp provided to you? With your weight numbers I would aim to lose 0.5-1 pound see what your calorie intake will state when you list this.
  • issiahs
    issiahs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well, I started at 240 and lost ten pounds quickly probably due to water weight. I slowed down and picked up MFP at 222, so I don't think it's all water weight. It recommends that because I put 2 lbs a week as my goal. I figured it was healthy too because I guess a healthy weight for my height is 150. I feel fine on 1500 to be honest, but I'm just concerned with losing muscle. Should I just up my calorie count anyways?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How many weeks total have you been dieting? When were you 240?
  • issiahs
    Options
    I started the beginning of this year.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    To minimize muscle loss, eat enough protein - at least around 95-100 grams - and also do strength training. Not just bench press - full-body. Follow a proven program for best results (Stronglifts, NROL, etc). :+1:
  • issiahs
    Options
    For sure, thanks a ton. I'm good on protein then, but I'll have to look into other strength training stuff. God I hate strength training though. I'd rather skate or do cardio, but I guess that's not enough. Oh well, I'll fit it in somehow.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Take up rock wall climbing. It's so much fun!
  • jemhh
    Options
    Ok. If I am reading you right, this is the timeline:

Jan 1 - 240 lbs
    ~March 9 - 222 lbs
    April 6 - 210 lbs

Overall, 30 lbs in that amount of time is a safe rate of loss. Depending on how slow your weight loss rate had been just before joining MFP, you could have had a bit of a water whoosh over the past few weeks. Sometimes we are losing fat but retaining water so there's little to no scale movement. Then suddenly the water starts coming off a bit and it seems like you lose a lot in a short period of time.

Are you actually eating 1500 calories or netting that after exercise? In general, I think that 1500 calories is too low for most men to eat. You should be able to lose easily eating at least 1800 calories and likely even more. I would raise calories a bit. I would actually go to 1800 for four weeks and then evaluate again.

I'd also suggest rounding out your strength routine. When you only bench, your routine is unbalanced. You could cause problems down the road when your chest is stronger than your back. I'm assuming you don't want a hunchback look :) Check out this thread, which has several lifting programs that you can look through:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • issiahs
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated! Gonna up my calories and take up some more strength training. I was just in fear of upping my calories cause I'm a short guy and didn't want to start gaining, but it's worth doing to check the progress.
  • jemhh
    Options
    issiahs wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated! Gonna up my calories and take up some more strength training. I was just in fear of upping my calories cause I'm a short guy and didn't want to start gaining, but it's worth doing to check the progress.

You definitely will not gain if you increase in moderate increments. I'm the same height and a woman twice as old as you and maintain on 2250-2450, if that gives you a number to compare against.

You're doing a good job. Keep it up.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    issiahs wrote: »
    So I've lost 12 lbs in a little over four weeks. I'm 5'6 and went from 222 to 210, but I'm asking if this is a healthy amount to lose? I frequent these forums and people often say if you're losing quickly then you're losing muscle. I eat 1500 calories a day and work out through skateboarding at least 30 minutes a day, walking, and bench press 3 times a week. Is this well enough to keep muscle and continue losing fat?

Most people have a big whoosh at the start with their diet change, they flush water when they reduce their salt. I think I dropped 16 lbs my first month and then it stabilized to 2-2.5 lbs/wk on average. I still have weeks of zero and then maybe 4 down the next. From here on out you should expect to hit your goal loss per the MFP calculations.