How important is water?

Options
For those of you have has success, how important would you say water is to your weight loss? iI'm never going to be someone who can weigh weekly.I weight daily and tonight I weighed myself and gained from 11.4 to 114. Such a bummer but I've been drinking so. I hope water that sons of it has to be water weight

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    For hydration purposes it's very important. For weight loss though? Not at all. Keep in mind that if you're comparing to your weight to this morning it now includes all the food and liquid you've consumed.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Suggest you start weighing first thing in the morning instead of end of day, it will reduce some of your water variability, but not all.

I can easily gain 8-10 lbs in a day from what I ate/drank.
  • Flyeaglesfly8630
    Flyeaglesfly8630 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Water can help fi you up so you eat less. Also speed up digestion if your organs are hydrated they work better.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Weighing at night is very unreliable, as it will be affected by what you have eaten and drunk through the day. Weigh first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. It's more accurate.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Water can help fi you up so you eat less. Also speed up digestion if your organs are hydrated they work better.
    You'll also feel a lot better if you're well hydrated. It may make it easier and more enjoyable to be active, and that will help with weight loss. Some people snack to help themselves feel better when they're tired or worn down, and staying well hydrated could help with that too.

(I'm not sure if that was what you were asking, but adding this just in case.)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I would argue that water IS important to weight loss. Staying hydrated is also good for your skin, energy and keeping things "moving" through your system. I would add that it's silly to weigh at night, do it first thing in the morning and weigh just once a day.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's important for weight loss because it's your body's fuel. Without enough water your body doesn't function as well. I drink 75 to 100 ounces a day. I can tell a difference in how effective my weight loss is now compared to when I didn't drink very much. Plus I just feel really great.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    It's very important to stay hydrated. I almost never drink water. My coffee has water, tea has water, Coke Zero has water and lots of food has water. I do sometimes drink plain water when I have to. Just stay hydrated.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Old personal training curricula (circa mid 1990s when I was studying it) basically stated fat can't be metabolized (catabolized) without water (adequate hydration level). But, the thing is there's no real hard fast rule on what that is. Last I checked there is no clinical data that unequivocally determined how much "water" is enough. What IS determined, however, is that a majority of people will mistake a thirst condition for a hunger condition. When in doubt, drink a cup of cool water. Wait 10 minutes or so, then see if a) I guess I was thirsty, or b) maybe I should eat an apple or something.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    For life on the planet, for health, for swimming - Very, very important.

For weight loss - Not very important at all.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Water will aid greatly to your weight loss. I won't bore you with facts but just to say it's calorie free, stating the obvious hydrate your body and flushes your whole system.

Drinking about 2lts a day, diet and exercise will help you in weight loss. All work hand in hand.

Our body is made up 60%of water or so.

One 2015 study from the University of Oxford found that obese adults who drank about 16 ounces of water 30 minutes before their meals ended up eating fewer calories and losing 2.6 more pounds than those who simply imagined that their stomachs were full before sitting down for their meals.

A study conducted at Virginia Tech back in 2010 reported that obese dieters already following a calorie controlled diet who also consumed two glass of water before each meal lost significantly more weight than non-water drinkers.