1674 calories?

Options
MFP has given me 1684 calories a day to lose weight. Doesn't that seem a little high?

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Depends. I lose a pound a week on around 1500 calories a day and I'm a 38 year old 5'3" 200lb woman who just popped out her 3rd kid. Your stats matter.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    MFP has given me 1684 calories a day to lose weight. Doesn't that seem a little high?

High for who? A 4ft female weighing 45kg or a 6ft make weighing 140kgs?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If you're new to weight loss and logging, it might SEEM high. But it's not. If you are quite overweight and relatively active, it's a pretty normal calorie intake for weight loss.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I know some people who are pretty light who lose on 1700 as well.
  • dietkatie5309
    dietkatie5309 Posts: 20 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I just doubled checked abs that they actually allotted me 1870 calories. That seems impossible to lose weight on. Today I ate 950 calories and I'm trying to jump start on a mostly liquid diet the first half of the day.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I just doubled checked abs that they actually allotted me 1870 calories. That seems impossible to lose weight on. Today I ate 950 calories and I'm trying to junk start on a mostly liquid diet the first half of the dY

How much do you weigh? How tall are you? How active?

You don't need to jump start anything, and you can eat a decent amount of food to lose weight. Also, how did you track your intake today? Did you use a food scale for semi-solid and solid food? Did you track and measure all liquids, sugar, etc? Things add up and measuring cups aren't accurate.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"8, age 45 and 148lbs i won't go below 1660 calories, i lose weight just fine.

What are your stats?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I just doubled checked abs that they actually allotted me 1870 calories. That seems impossible to lose weight on. Today I ate 950 calories and I'm trying to jump start on a mostly liquid diet the first half of the day.

You still have given us your stats or any clues to go on. For context, I'm 5'8" and at 170-ish pounds I lose about a pound a week on 1700-1800 calories. Someone smaller than me might not lose at that rate. Someone larger than me or male might lose more. We need more information to help you.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

No, it's not impossible. I'm a 5'4" woman in my fifties, about 180 lbs, and I would lose a pound a week on 1870 calories, plus get to eat extra calories when I exercise.

If you'd respond to the questions of people who have asked for your stats, you'd get more specific advice.

950 calories is a bad idea. Under-eating leads to unnecessary loss of lean mass (which includes muscles, organs, and bones -- and your heart is a muscle).

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

you dont get a jumpstart on anything eating so little,it wont help you health wise either. why a liquid diet the first half of the day?
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I'm 72 years old, weigh 235 pounds, am 5'3" and I lose weight on 1700 calories a day. ... Of course, I don't eat that much if I'm not hungry or my menu is light. Generally, i eat anywhere between 1200 and 1800 a day.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Kinda seems low but i am losing on 1860 a day.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

Not really. Mine is 1810. It all depends on your own situation - starting weight, goal weight, activity level, etc.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I eat more than that to lose, so it's definitely not too high. And by that I mean for the majority of people...those who are smaller/older/less active, that could fall above maintenance for them. But if MFP gave you that number, then no.
  • kelsberry92
    kelsberry92 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not really. I get 1,730 a day and have lost 4 pounds in two weeks. I currently weigh 266 and work a desk job. But sometimes it's hard to eat that much so I just make sure I'm satisfied. Also, make good food choices and you'll be fine!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

Don't buy into the whole idea that you have to starve yourself to lose weight. That's bunk. You have to starve yourself to lose alot of weight very, very fast. If you do it that way, I believe most of the info I've read said that your chance of keeping off the weight is only like 5%.

By eating moderately, you'll lose weight slowly. But you won't starve and your chances go up that you can keep it off.

Give MFP a chance. It's way easier to maintain than a 950 calorie liquid diet. And much better for your body.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Everything about this screams wrong. Pretty much no one should be eating as little as 950 calories, trying to jump start doesn't work and a mostly liquid diet is usually a bad idea.

If you don't want to give your stats (you've been asked for them multiple times) then accept that you need to eat the 1870, eat actual food and expect to lose at the rate you put in. If you want more help than that then provide your stats.

Sex
    weight
    goal weight
    desired loss per week
    activity level
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    IF you use MFP as designed and IF you are accurate in your logging of food and activity, it DOES work the vast majority of the time. People claiming it doesn't work are usually either not logging accurately, using bad database entries, or similarly committing any number of known MFP sins. A small few will have medical issues that preclude the effectiveness of the program.

Why not give it a chance instead of questioning from day one and assuming you know better?
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Calories in / calories out.

Depending on your height, weight, you burn calories just by being alive.
    • If you eat as many as you burn you are in stasis.
    • If you eat more than you burn you will gain weight.
    • If you eat less than you burn you will lose weight except if you are in an extreme calorie deficit. Then your body goes into preservation mode and your metabolism might slow down and hold onto what you have b/c it thinks you are starving.

Rule of thumb is that women / girls should never go below 1200 calories because that will put you in a calorie deficit. (MFP will actually turn red if you try to log less than 1200 calories.) Your periods will stop and your hair will start falling out if you do it long enough.

I encourage you to look at food differently by thinking about high protein/fat/fiber and low carbs/sugar meal planning (Paleo or Ketogenic). See this website for a list: http://paleoiq.com/best-paleo-diet-blogs/

For me as a recovering anorexic, being able to control my portions (by weighing them) and my mode of eating (I am still being restrictive (low sugar/low carb – but I am not being overly restrictive), I am finding the Paleo / Ketogenic way of eating to be perfect for me.

Being able to pick picking WHAT kinds of foods I will eat was a game changer. There is enough OCD-food control / ritual weighing of food going on in that I am making sure I have enough fat/protein/fiber and trying to keep my sugar and carbs insanely low that I am able to do this and still feel in control.

BTW I eat between 1400 and 1500 calories most days (I am 59 years old, 5.6 and weighed 183 in January and I weight 156 today) and I am losing weight in a healthy way and I feel pretty amazing. I am not hungry most of the time and I have been enjoying finding the many different ways to get my nutrition in each day within the guidelines I have set for myself.