Teenagers need a calorie surplus? for real?

2»

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    cmtigger wrote: »
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Now our teen girl's bodies take any calorie surplus and turn it into fat, lol

No, not all, very few actually. Girls just tend to have a more distorted view of what is normal. They don't need as much as boys, but they need more food than an adult of the same size.

I was eating whatever I wanted and was underweight or barely in the healthy BMI until my late 20's.

Then my whole family must have been an exception to the rule, lol. Because we all got chubby during puberty. We thinned out because we actively were careful to eat less in our later teen years.

It doesn't mean you can't overeat, but you need more than someone who isn't growing. (Fwiw, my sister is 5'6", I'm 5'10". )

Also, sometimes girls think they are getting fat when they get hips and breasts. It's just their body changing.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    edited April 2017
    When my son was about 14 he easily ate at least double what I ate and was not overweight and I was.

However I was not a teenage male going through developmental changes of puberty, I did not play sports, I did not ride a bicycle to school

He was taller than me,his metabolism was going to be far higher than mine and he was far more active.

I was eating in a surplus for my needs, ie eating more than I burned.

He was not.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    No, they don't need a calorie surplus... that would make them gain weight.

They do however have higher maintenance calories.