Can 1lbs of food make you gain more than 1lbs?

Options
Hypsibius
Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
edited April 2017 in Food and Nutrition
So this is purely a theoretical question.

Let's say you decided to drink a pound of olive oil (3,998 calories). This is the best example I can think of, because even a pound of dense caloric food like sesame butter only has 2,707.25 calories (which is less than the estimated 3,500 calories for a pound of human fat -- if that figure is accurate).

THEORETICAL QUESTION: Is it possible to gain more weight than the weight of the food you just consumed?

So put another way -- if you eat a big meal, and you're feeling annoyed/discouraged by that -- if you step on the scale in that moment can you be rest assured that you won't ever gain more than the amount you weigh in that moment?

Seems there are a lot of potential factors here:
  • Water weight: 10 percent of human fat is water -- so the more fat, the more water weight you'll retain.
  • Calories burned eating and digesting: Your body will expend energy simply in the act of burning up that pound of food.
  • It's very unlikely you'd ever consume a pound of food anywhere near 3,500 calories.
  • Regular food is loaded with fiber -- need to consider what your body will pass unprocessed.
  • Law of conservation of energy...

So am I correct that if someone eats a pound of chocolate fudge, it's unlikely they'll gain an entire pound of weight from that pound of fudge if they are otherwise (and for argument sake) on a diet of perfect weight maintenance?

Nutrition amateur here. Curious what y'all think.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The physical weight of the food isn't related to the energy contained in the food. So if you ate 1,850 calories worth of fudge (my rough guess of the calorie contents of a pound), you would immediately weigh a pound more (because you just added a pound to your body). But your body is going to deal with those 1,850 calories just like it would deal with 1,850 calories of apples or broccoli or tofu.

The difference is that for most people, it would require a lot more effort to eat 1,850 calories of broccoli than it would to eat 1,850 calories of something like fudge.
  • Hypsibius
    Options
    The physical weight of the food isn't related to the energy contained in the food. So if you ate 1,850 calories worth of fudge (my rough guess of the calorie contents of a pound), you would immediately weigh a pound more (because you just added a pound to your body). But your body is going to deal with those 1,850 calories just like it would deal with 1,850 calories of apples or broccoli or tofu.

The difference is that for most people, it would require a lot more effort to eat 1,850 calories of broccoli than it would to eat 1,850 calories of something like fudge.

I understand that weight of food is unrelated to calories (again this is more theoretical). Are you sure the bolded part is accurate? My understanding is that the body metabolizes sugar calories different from vegetable calories, because one includes loads more fiber and is more difficult for the body to break down... and the other will up insulin levels and instantly convert those calories to fat. That's ignoring things like satiety etc...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »

I understand that weight of food is unrelated to calories (again this is more theoretical). Are you sure the bolded part is accurate? My understanding is that the body metabolizes sugar calories different from vegetable calories, because one includes loads more fiber and is more difficult for the body to break down... and the other will up insulin levels and instantly convert those calories to fat. That's ignoring things like satiety etc...

Vast oversimplification of insulin response...
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

Let's say you decided to drink a pound of olive oil (3,998 calories). This is the best example I can think of, because even a pound of dense caloric food like sesame butter only has 2,707.25 calories (which is less than the estimated 3,500 calories for a pound of human fat -- if that figure is accurate).

THEORETICAL QUESTION: Is it possible to gain more weight than the weight of the food you just consumed?

So put another way -- if you eat a big meal, and you're feeling annoyed/discouraged by that -- if you step on the scale in that moment can you be rest assured that you won't ever gain more than the amount you weigh in that moment?

• Water weight: 10 percent of human fat is water -- so the more fat, the more water weight you'll retain.
    • Calories burned eating and digesting: Your body will expend energy simply in the act of burning up that pound of food.
    • It's very unlikely you'd ever consume a pound of food anywhere near 3,500 calories.
    • Regular food is loaded with fiber -- need to consider what your body will pass unprocessed.

So am I correct that if someone eats a pound of chocolate fudge, it's unlikely they'll gain an entire pound of weight from that pound of fudge if they are otherwise (and for argument sake) on a diet of perfect weight maintenance?

Are we somehow under the impression that we don't burn calories? If you drank a pound of EVOO which you say is 3,998 calories, and you body burns 2,500 at rest you would still only be 1,498 calories over what you burned that day.

It's the same as any surplus with any food. if you go over you calorie allotment for the day you are going to gain weight. As for the old but do I gain more than my food weighs... Do you ever weigh yourself with absolutely no food or water in your body, and can you replicate that every day?

• Hypsibius
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »

Are we somehow under the impression that we don't burn calories? If you drank a pound of EVOO which you say is 3,998 calories, and you body burns 2,500 at rest you would still only be 1,498 calories over what you burned that day.

It's the same as any surplus with any food. if you go over you calorie allotment for the day you are going to gain weight. As for the old but do I gain more than my food weighs... Do you ever weigh yourself with absolutely no food or water in your body, and can you replicate that every day?

That's why I said, "if the person is otherwise (and for argument sake) on a diet of perfect weight maintenance?"
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Lots of factors come into play. Individual humans are different in body size, function and health, therefore, of course a larger person contains more cells than the smaller person. Now, the type of pound of food you consume would make a difference for a next day weigh-in, which is what you are asking...I am assuming because obviously you wouldn't put on fat mass gain after consuming a meal "right that moment". Carbs hold twice their weight in water for absorption. Consequently, one of the advantages of glucose and other carbohydrates is that they can enter into the oxidation process much more quickly and provide energy more rapidly. Complex carbohydrates, are one step further removed from the citric acid cycle than is glucose. As a result, complex carbohydrates provide glucose more steadily and more slowly (kind of a time-released glucose) than simpler sugars such as glucose and fructose. If we eat sugar directly, it's available almost immediately. Fats make energy available at a slower pace than carbohydrates. So, on the other hand, gram for gram, fats provide more energy than carbohydrates. All of that information to say this...lets say that an individual follows a high fat/low carb diet. Electrolytes can become imbalanced in this "diet" because glucose/carbohydrates bind sodium in the body. With such little to no glucose/insulin production, the kidneys flush these electrolytes rather than them being stored, hence why the term "water weight" loss could be included because you have less binding and/or retention of fluids due to lowered carbohydrates and insulin production.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

So you're arguing that regardless of energy needs, what else is eaten, etc the 1,850 in fudge will be instantly converted into fat? This doesn't match anything I've read before (in a reputable source).

If you go over your calories in broccoli, you're still going to put on weight -- even if you are burning a bit more calories to digest the broccoli. Taking into account things like fiber, the increased energy taken to burn protein, etc excess calories are going to result in weight gain.
  • Hypsibius
    Options

So you're arguing that regardless of energy needs, what else is eaten, etc the 1,850 in fudge will be instantly converted into fat? This doesn't match anything I've read before (in a reputable source).

If you go over your calories in broccoli, you're still going to put on weight -- even if you are burning a bit more calories to digest the broccoli. Taking into account things like fiber, the increased energy taken to burn protein, etc excess calories are going to result in weight gain.

Actually more asking than arguing (hence the "my understanding") -- I saw that in a documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLKwiNpjLZ8
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that if you drank a pound of olive oil you would lose weight because it would make you very sick... Sorry, little joke.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. I got nauseous just thinking about it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Oh. Pro-tip: ignore everything you saw/heard/read in Fed Up. It's complete nonsense.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Oh. Pro-tip: ignore everything you saw/heard/read in Fed Up. It's complete nonsense.

Ignore everything in any food documentary. They're all made to only show the maker's viewpoint.
  • Hypsibius
    Options

Gah, really? Anything better out there for a layman on how the body processes and metabolizes food? Very much want to better understand this and macros/nutrition, how different foods affect the body, the difference between "bad" and "good" foods and the correct balance -- but it seems like there's a lot of contradiction and articles that argue the exact opposite of something I just read.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Actually more asking than arguing (hence the "my understanding") -- I saw that in a documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLKwiNpjLZ8

I would not consider that video a reputable source for information.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Gah, really? Anything better out there for a layman on how the body processes and metabolizes food? Very much want to better understand this and macros/nutrition, how different foods affect the body, the difference between "bad" and "good" foods and the correct balance -- but it seems like there's a lot of contradiction and articles that argue the exact opposite of something I just read.

IMO, eating well is pretty straight forward and largely a matter of common sense...but the diet and fitness industry tend to muddy the waters and people throw common sense out the window and the next thing you know they're scared of an apple 'cuz sugar...

I eat a diet consisting largely of whole foods and my wife and I cook most of the time...I eat a lot of veg, some fruit (more in the summer), whole grains, legumes, lentils, plenty of whole food starches like potatoes and sweet potatoes, lean sourced protein (and sometimes fattier sourced), and good fats from things like nuts and avocados and good oils. I also eat pizza most Friday nights and have a little something for desert a few nights per week and the occasional candy bar at the office...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Start with the "stickied" posts in the various threads. You are going to find more knowledge and experience with the veterans of these forums than any documentary or alternate source. The reason behind this is money. Most services are ultimately selling you something and will drive fear into the marketing "You cannot lose weight if you don't follow my program!" pitch. The posters here however, have been there, lived through it, and maintained for a significant period of time and wanting to pass this knowledge on.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Love this post! I regularly eat a salad made up of cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, avocado, and bell peppers. It is not calorie dense at all but weighs over a pound in most cases. I can honestly say that the fiber and other non-digestibles contributes to a very large waste output the following day. Also, due to the high water content, I urinate a LOT after eating this. And I typically weigh less the next day.

It really makes you think about how complicated our bodies really are. It does mostly come down to calories in vs calories out but there is so much more to it when you dive in deeper!
  • JacobNicolaus
    JacobNicolaus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Let's be clear, we are talking about the possibility of the upper limit, i.e.:

Is it possible, even with perfect conversion of food energy into mass to achieve more weight gain than the weight of the food?

Short answer: NO.

Long version:
    1. Conservation of mass/energy in physics - no possible event will result in more mass or energy out of nowhere. So, no matter what you eat, you cannot gain more mass than what you've eaten by any means whatsoever, using any food whatsoever.

2. Napkin calculations:
    1 kg of olive oil = 8840 ccal
    8840 ccal = 982.22g of fat
    982.22g < 1kg.

So, even with the perfect conversion of calories into fat mass, you can't get more than you've eaten. Add to that all the imperfect conversions of food into carbs, protein, waste, heat, &c. - and you'll end up with even less mass adding to your weight as time goes by.

To answer those who'd say:
    But if you convert those calories into carbs/protein, they'll end up weighing more than 1 kg.
    - you won't be able to convert those calories into carbs/protein. Olive oil is 100% fat. Other foods will have different densities, so they won't make up the same weight with the same amount of calories.

Let me demonstrate:
    1 kg of sugar = 3870 ccal
    3870 ccal = 967.5g of carbohydrates
    967.5g < 1kg.

Again, we know carbohydrates pack fewer calories per gram than fat. At the same time, 1 kg of sugar packs fewer calories than 1 kg of olive oil. Sugar is 99.98% carbs.

Finally, an example with proteins (and mixed in fat).
    1 kg of Salmon = 1460 ccal of which there are 38% fat and 62% protein. That is, you have 554.8 calories locked in fat, and 905.2 calories locked in protein.
    1460 ccal = 61.64g of fat + 226.3g of protein = 287.94g.
    287.94g << 1kg.

So, between fat, protein and the rest of it, salmon is a very poor candidate if you want to gain weight which would be nearly equal to the mass of food you've eaten.

These rough calculations suggest, that sticking to pure-fat and pure-carbs options will yield the closest weight gain to the food mass, should you wish to achieve it.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible, eat a pound of extra salty chips and you'll add water weight on top of any fat.