Creatine Side Effects - How to counteract?

Options
Chele_Belle_
Chele_Belle_ Posts: 65 Member
edited April 2017 in Food and Nutrition
For the past 3 weeks I started using Melaleuca's Vitality elevate pure creatine which is a creatine monohydrate. I use a 3g scoop only on days I lift which ranges 3-4 days a week and now am having trouble with crazy muscles cramps, mostly in my legs. I did not do a loading phase and don't plan on it.

I have increased my water and will continue to monitor but I am wondering if anyone has had success adding some type of electrolyte drinks after working out or any other methods?

Any information would be appreciated :smile:

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Before we delve any further - is the lifting new, too? Or did you just add creatine to an already existing lifting regimen?

FWIW - since we're here - I doubt it's the creatine, as 3g is below the suggested dosage of 5-10g daily (5 for most, some respond to 10). Additionally, only taking it on days you lift means you're likely - unless you eat tons of (preferably red) meat - not coming anywhere near saturation, so you'll probably not see any effect at all. It could be related, but with the dosage you're taking, probably not - at least, not unless you're one of the few people that have a negative reaction to creatine. In which case, I'd recommend not taking it anymore.
  • greekgoddus
    greekgoddus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Increase your sodium intake
  • Chele_Belle_
    Options
    No the lifting is not new. I have been doing it for about a year and a half steady but wanted to try mixing in creatine to see if I would see some improvements in endurance and strength. I'm very conscious of my macros and try and maintain about 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat. Most of my protein is meat based, red meat included.

I also mix in an amino boost on lifting days but have been taking that for about a year now with no side effects. The other reason I am suspecting its the creatine is its the only new thing in my diet and the cramps only happen in the night after lifting but that being said it hasn't happened every time.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Never heard of creatine causing cramps.
    It will pull water into the muscle....so for me if I have been off the stuff and then start taking it, the only difference I ever notice is that my muscles will become harder and I might add a couple pounds of weight, again due to the fact that the creatine pulls in water.

But I can't think of anything from creatine what would cause cramps.
  • Chele_Belle_
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/392259-creatine-and-muscle-cramps/

A lot of the articles I have read say that it can cause an imbalance in hydration and electrolytes. I attached a link to one for those of you that want to review.