Huge crisis

Options
I make it through most of the day, and then I come home super hungry and wait it out until dinner, and then I'm not hungry anymore, but then an hour after that, without fail, I binge. Really bad binging too, not just 'Whoops I went over by 100 calories' I can quickly see all my hard earned results disappearing, and I'm both frantic and unable to stop. HELP!.

Replies

• Siennacita
    Siennacita Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? You may be eating too few and your body is rebelling. While you need to be in a state of calorie 'deficit' to lose weight - you don't want to put your body in starvation mode - it will never last. However, if you are eating more out of habit or 'desire' rather than hunger - you're going to have to try to change your routine. If you just want the sensation of eating something - try making a pot of herbal tea and sipping it slowly. Tea has really nice aromas and can feel like a treat - plus it keeps you hands a little busy. Keep experimenting and changing things up - it'll get easier,:smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    MFP's calorie goal it gives you already has a deficit. Eating 100, 200, or even 300 cals over isn't going to destroy your deficit. Also, no one got fat in a day.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You have less than 20lbs to lose. Redo your numbers. change to 0.5lb/week loss and pick the correct activity level. Don't pick sedentary just because you think you'll lose faster. Weight loss isn't linear and the closer to goal you are, the harder it is to lose. Make sure to eat your exercise calories back because that's how MFP works. The formula can be found on the goals page.
  • purplepopsicles
    Options
    Maybe when you're tempted to binge, try keeping yourself occupied somewhere where food isn't available; you could get a lot of menial work done while waiting it out. Or chew gum or something so you can't put anything else in your mouth. Or you could binge on high-volume-low-calorie foods, like popcorn and tea.
    Idk if this helps, just some suggestions :)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I make it through most of the day, and then I come home super hungry and wait it out until dinner, and then I'm not hungry anymore, but then an hour after that, without fail, I binge. Really bad binging too, not just 'Whoops I went over by 100 calories' I can quickly see all my hard earned results disappearing, and I'm both frantic and unable to stop. HELP!.

What are your " healthy " reasons to only eat 1200 calories ? I eat 1200 calories a day, but I am 65 and barely 5 feet tall.
    Maybe you are not actually binging, but eating what your body requires to feel good.
    If I were young and only had 20 or 30 pounds to lose, I would eat at a relatively small deficit and exercise.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Just had a look at your food diary. You might be eating "too light" during the day, causing your brain to crave more food in the evenings because it hasn't had enough earlier.

Do you feel hungry during the day? Is it possible for you to eat a little more for breakfast and lunch, and eat just a snack or a light supper in the evenings? This way you'd be giving your body the nutrition it needs while being active.

Also, the tip with trying to find a distraction is very good. When you feel the binge coming, try to do something that keeps both your mind and your body busy: paint your house, re-arrange furniture, cut the grass, plant something ... you get the idea.

Best of luck!

Edited to add: Also consider what the others said about eating only 1200 calories. Are you sure this is all you need? What's your BMR? Find out and then manually change your "Goals" to that BMR to ensure you get that many calories as a minimum.
  • Zorx
    Zorx Posts: 15
    Options
    Okay, you've all brought up fair points. I'm going to change my goal to 1 pound a week, at 1548 cals/day which is a bit more manageable. I think I'll add a hundred calories to breakfast and lunch, and then see where that takes me. Thank you, I don't know what I'd do without such supportive people. :)
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Eat a snack if you're hungry when you get home. I've gotten in to the habit of taking an apple or carrots and some hummus to work with me because I know I always get hungry around 3 or 4. A 100 calorie snack either satisfies me until dinner time or at least takes the edge off enough that it isn't torture to wait until 6:30/7. When you get to dinner time you need to eat, even if you're not hungry.

As for the binge, if it is stuff you have around the house then get it out (or ask someone to hide it if you don't live alone). If it is food you have to leave the house for, have a healthier version of it on hand. I've found that a homemade 350 calorie turkey burger (5 oz. ground turkey with ample seasoning, reduced fat 50 calorie cheese, and a Nature's Own sandwich round) satisfies my burger craving just as well as going to wendy's would, and I don't have to feel guilty about it. I also have an excellent grilled pizza recipe in my back pocket that is just as good as any brick oven place around here.

Ps. I like your kilt!