Weight loss journey and the roadblock of the flu

Options
Question: how much does the flu tend to set you back on your goals?

What tips do you have for getting back on top of your a game when you start feeling better?

Right now I just feel bloated and fat and low energy. So scary to think your hard work can disappear when you get sick. Trying to remind myself that it's just temporary and I can get back into momentum.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance while you have the flu and while recovering.

Your fitness level won't drop a lot with a couple of weeks off, but you will want to start back slowly. It does take the body a while to fully recover from the flu.

Once you are back your fitness level will return pretty quickly.

This is my experience. With the flu it is close to a month before I am up to par- I do baby myself to avoid setbacks though.

Cheers, h.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    When I had the flu earlier this year it was hard to keep down anything, so I actually didn't eat much for a few days. Calories were the last thing from my mind honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about calories. Your hard work won't go to waste. Rest up and be kind to yourself.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I had a chest infection at the start of the year and had to take 3 weeks off and the main thing on my mind was getting better. When I got back into working out and my journey I took it a bit slow at first before building it up again in case I still wasn't 100% back to normal.

Like someone else said: your hard work won't go to waste. Getting sick just happens sometimes and it shouldn't do anything too major to damage your hard work
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I have a nasty cold right now and I'm eating at maintenance and taking my vitamins. And of course, stay hydrated and try to relax. Your weight loss journey can wait. :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I started getting a flu shot every year 5-6 years ago, and i haven't had a cold or the flu since. Sorry, not helpful to you right now :lol: