Clif bar discussion!?

Options
emjam99
emjam99 Posts: 92 Member
I have to admit I've become obsessed with cliff bars. Sometimes I miss lunch (I wish I didn't, it's schedule problems) and I know a cliff bar helps hold me over, also on days I work out I may grab one. I was wondering how bad they are though, something that tasty can't be healthy, can it? Or okay. I make sure they fit in my calories and I don't really eat them if I'm sitting around doing nothing. I may eat like 2 a week. Are they bad for me? If you eat them, what are your favorite kinds? (I love chocolate chip, chocolate brownie, and peanut butter)

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Do they fit your calorie and macro (if you're counting macros) goals? If so, how can they be bad for you?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why are you under the impression that tasty can't be healthy?

They are pretty high in calories (meant to give energy while hiking or climbing) but if they fit into your goal, they are fine.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I like them as a meal replacement once in a while. No biggie.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    +1 to what's been written above. Since the bars hold you over, they serve a decent purpose in your diet. Two bars a week is nothing.
    I haven't bought any bars recently, but when I do, I eat them as long as they fit my macros/calories.
    When the holidays roll around, I always go for the Hot Chocolate flavor. Iced Gingerbread is a runner up.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    WAY too much sugar in them for me. I think if you are using it up being very active, fine, but as a meal replacement at the office, not so much.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a Cliff Bar in the middle of a long ride ... I never found one that was actually tasty and stopped using them.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I love the white macedemia bar. I think they are high on calories and low on protein, but they are so yummy. I eat them when I want something sweet.
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I like them as well. I really liked the chocolate mint flavor, although I wasn't thrilled it had caffeine in it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    Have those things (Clif bars) gotten better in recent years?

When I tried them it was like trying to eat ground up cardboard with some only just palatable stuff thrown in.

For a while I could tolerate one that had coffee beans in it.

Then I cycled through a swarm of flying bugs ... black, about the size of coffee beans, with hard shells. They got everywhere! In my hair, down my jersey, in my mouth and nose. I got through them all, and finally stopped to take a break. Pulled out my coffee bean Clif Bar, took one bite and couldn't manage anymore. The coffee beans reminded me so much of all these bugs.

I think that was the last Clif Bar I ever ate.

That was probably in about 2003 or 2004.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Have those things (Clif bars) gotten better in recent years?

When I tried them it was like trying to eat ground up cardboard with some only just palatable stuff thrown in.

For a while I could tolerate one that had coffee beans in it.

Then I cycled through a swarm of flying bugs ... black, about the size of coffee beans, with hard shells. They got everywhere! In my hair, down my jersey, in my mouth and nose. I got through them all, and finally stopped to take a break. Pulled out my coffee bean Clif Bar, took one bite and couldn't manage anymore. The coffee beans reminded me so much of all these bugs.

I think that was the last Clif Bar I ever ate.

That was probably in about 2003 or 2004.

^^Wow, that's crazy!

Personally, I love the peanut butter chocolate chip Clif bars so much, they replaced candy bars for me (so yes, some sugar, but maybe better than a Snickers?). I especially love them with coffee, and/or warmed in the microwave. They've been a staple pre-race food for me, but I also have them as a meal replacement, or a snack (sometimes only have half a bar).

I do also like Larabars for the simple ingredient list, but I will always keep the pb chocolate chip Clif bars around!!
  • kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with Clif bars. My husband filled my entire stocking with clif bars for christmas, no joke. My favorite is the Carrot Cake - sounds weird but it's AMAZING!!! I eat them during a hike or if I'm out shopping and hunger strikes. They do the job they're intended for.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I LOVE all their bars. I use the Cliff Builders Max bars for extremely tough workouts. I like all of them though. My favorite regular cliff bar is the oatmeal raisin.
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's great if they help you stick to your plan! That's what truly matters. :)

I like the peanut butter clif bars, and all the holiday flavors (gingerbread is so frikkin good). They are quite sugary, but I use them to supplement when I don't have an appetite, or the ability to carry real food with me. Otherwise I stick to veggies, nuts, and fruit for snacking.
  • caitlinj406
    caitlinj406 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them more on long rides but I've since moved on to some other bars. I do like the chocolate clif bars but tend to go for the clif builder bars so if I'm eating all that sugar I get 20 g of protein. I think Luna bars are made by clif and they straight up taste like protein candy bars. The chocolate coconut tastes like a samoa Girl Scout cookie.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them more on long rides but I've since moved on to some other bars. I do like the chocolate clif bars but tend to go for the clif builder bars so if I'm eating all that sugar I get 20 g of protein. I think Luna bars are made by clif and they straight up taste like protein candy bars. The chocolate coconut tastes like a samoa Girl Scout cookie.

Oooh, I'll have to look for that one! Samoas are my all-time favorite cookie!
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    @caitlinj406 I forgot about Luna bars! All the chocolate variations are tasty.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I've not had them because I can't justify the expense and the macro:calorie ratio doesn't work for me.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I always save enough calories to eat a Cliff Bar immediately after a workout. I keep one in my bag and eat it in the car on the way home from the gym or stow one away in my bicycle pack.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I've had these for breakfast for the last three months. I don't know about doing it for health or calories, though. I take mine with a can of diet Dew. The other morning I thought they were almost too sweet, but they're so convenient to eat during my drive to work and very filling. My favorite is white chocolate macadamia nut. I try others from time to time but haven't found one I like as much, plus walmarts selection doesn't include some that I've seen in the past like a berry something and an apricot something or other. Hmmmmm. Amazon?