Water Weight

What water exactly is meant when people say the initial weight loss is water weight? Is this water we don't need but our body stores for some reason? And won't our body replace it again at a later date?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Well, your body stores carbohydrates (for energy) and it stores it with a lot of water. When you burn those carbs - either through eating less, or by exercising more - you lose the water that was stored with it.
    There's also the water that was tied up with sodium (reducing food intake (or eating "healthier") usually leads to reduced sodium intake).
    Makes sense? :+1:
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Thanks, you made me a little bit smarter! The sodium part I was aware of, not the carbs, though.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Most of it probably isn't really "water". It is more likely that the quick weight loss is due to less food in your stomach because you aren't stuffing it in as quickly. While it is true that carbs hold water at a 4 to 1 ratio, you would burn those carbs whether you were dieting or not. It is the fact that your aren't replacing them so quickly that results in the quick weight loss.
  • AObravo123
    AObravo123 Posts: 66 Member
    I think it's opposite. People who first start cardio weigh heavier than the previous day because they drink tons of water. Also weight will fluctuate depending on a lot of factors and water's a big part of that. Better to take weekly or fortnightly changes to weight loss rather than daily
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    AObravo123 wrote: »
    I think it's opposite. People who first start cardio weigh heavier than the previous day because they drink tons of water. Also weight will fluctuate depending on a lot of factors and water's a big part of that. Better to take weekly or fortnightly changes to weight loss rather than daily

That's one of the reasons I don't weigh often, because of these fluctuations and I don't need that pressure of maybe have gained a pound over the previous day. I've been on a calorie deficit here now for a good 2 weeks and have only weighed once. I have lost more pounds than the 1 per week that my goal is set to, so I was wondering whether the extra loss is this water or whether it's due to exercising. I don't log my exercise because it's a hassle to figure these things out, but on days I do exercise I don't worry if I go over my calorie goal by 100 or 150.