Protein sources for mainly plant-based diet?

Options
Hello! I just started tracking my meals again on MFP, and I want to try to eat as plant-based as possible while still maintaining a calorie deficit to reach my goal. It's pretty easy to do.

However, my personal trainer wants me to up my protein. So my protein is 30%, fat is at 25%, and carbs are 45%. This is fine, except I don't know how to each that protein without going over on carbs or calories. I also thought I was eating a lot of protein today (beans and a protein shake) and I am still in the teens percentage.

What sources of plant-based protein do you eat to help you reach your macros?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I think 30% protein on a plant-based diet would be pretty difficult on whole foods, because there's a fairly limited number of individual foods that are going to be over 30% protein. Tofu and edamame come to mind. Lentils are just slightly above 30%. You'll find some green vegetables that top 30% of calories from protein, but most people aren't going to consume the vast majority of their calories in green vegetables. The chick peas I ate today had only about 20% of their calories from protein. I think you're going to have to rely a lot on protein powders and shakes.

Look at your food diary and see if any foods you eat are 30% protein. Eat more of those, and less of things that are lower in protein.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Tempeh. Also check out those Beyond Meat burgers. I haven't tried them yet but they have 20g of protein per patty.
  • vellamour
    vellamour Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! And that was the predicament I was coming to as well. I'm okay on shakes and powders (I like drinking calories over eating them), so I will definitely stick with those
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Search the community for the Protein%FoodList . Download it and enjoy.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Tempeh. Also check out those Beyond Meat burgers. I haven't tried them yet but they have 20g of protein per patty.

But according to their website, each patty is 290 calories. That's only about 28% calories from protein. OP's goal is 30%, so what needs are foods with more than 30% protein to balance out the vast majority of plant-based foods that are below 30%.