How to overcome cravings?

Options
So, I'm only on my third day. I don't feel hungry or anything, but I think about food ALL the time. I've already reached my calorie limit for today, and it's driving me crazy.
Does this get any easier over time? Is it worth it? How do you fight your cravings?
I find that evenings are the worst for me. I seriously keep going to the kitchen, staring at the cupboard, and then going back to my room. I just keep thinking about giving up, and how I'll never be able to have the body I want.

Replies

• amyrooni
    amyrooni Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have found that it gets easier, but I don't think that has been out of pure will power like you are describing. Here are things I believe helped me get to a point of not thinking about & craving all the time:

1) concentrating on small changes, pick two things to change each week recognizing that you want to take this one step at a time so the changes are sustsustainable

2) walk it off, go for a walk or some other enjoyable exercise for 15 minutes when you feel a craving, often the craving will dissipate

3) drink a 0 calorie herbal hot tea, lots of satisfying flavor and good for you, stock several varieties in your pantry so it does not get boring, Perrier sparkling mineral water in my favorite wine glass also works for my after dinner cravings

4) shift your eating toward foods that keep you feeling full, many articles about this plus just see how you feel after different foods. For me, oatmeal at breakfast and raw veggies with hummus are staples because of this

5) stay well hydrated with water & herbal teas throughout the day

6) plan your calories so you have 50 calories or so remaining when dinner is done, but use them only for healthy snacks , mine tonight will be fresh strawberries.

7) Find a distraction that does not involve food - cleaning out your garage, jigsaw puzzles, join a yoga class, gardening, etc

8) Forgive yourself. If you go over by 50 calories once a week, just celebrate that you capped the overage by that small amount instead of sabotaging yourself by eating 200 calories over!

Final word, this is about progress, not perfection. If you did better this week than last week and you sustain those improved choices that become habits, you will succeed.

Take care.