Food combinations help you lose fat faster? Fact or fiction

Options
If there any scientific proof that this is real? Hear people talk about it all the time. Has anyone tried this and gotten results?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Weight loss rate is determined by calorie deficit and amount of fatty tissue - but, a well balanced diet can make it easier to stick to allotted calories, and doing something you think is fun or meaningful - even following an unbalanced diet - can also make it easier to stick to allotted calories, for a short while. Weight loss is slow process, so any short term solution is going to fail.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it. But no, it won't make you lose fat faster. The only thing that will make you use more energy than you already do is being more active.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    evileen99 lol
    I hear it all the time too. Combine a protein with a fruit, combine a carb with protein and a fruit yada yada yada
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It won't help with weight loss but my daughters RD does recommend combining a protein with her snack so she feels full longer...so instead of just pretzels or Goldfish, we reduce those and will add a piece of string cheese. Helps with satiety.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    evileen99 lol
    I hear it all the time too. Combine a protein with a fruit, combine a carb with protein and a fruit yada yada yada

Generally that suggestion is for satiety. Some people (not all) will find a piece of fruit or carbs not very filling on their own or that it impacts blood sugar far more when eaten alone. Adding protein can make it more fulfilling or can reduce the impacts on blood sugar. It's not a magical combo for weight loss, just a tactic to make sure you feel fuller for longer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    evileen99 lol

Generally that suggestion is for satiety. Some people (not all) will find a piece of fruit or carbs not very filling on their own or that it impacts blood sugar far more when eaten alone. Adding protein can make it more fulfilling or can reduce the impacts on blood sugar. It's not a magical combo for weight loss, just a tactic to make sure you feel fuller for longer.

Yup
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Fiction.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    If there was a magical food able to be grouped together to help lose weight we'd all be skinny and obesity wldnt be an epidemic. Determination and a calorie deficit is all u need:-) good luck
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've done a diet plan where you couldn't combine carbs with protein it worked in the same way as any diet does but I wouldn't say I lost any faster than on any other diet plan and I've tried a lot of them!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    I've done a diet plan where you couldn't combine carbs with protein it worked in the same way as any diet does but I wouldn't say I lost any faster than on any other diet plan and I've tried a lot of them!

Just out of curiosity, what reason did this diet plan give for this 'rule'?
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, it's about CICO. But if a certain combination of foods helps you feel satisfied and avoid overeating, then eat that way!
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Duchy82 wrote: »

Just out of curiosity, what reason did this diet plan give for this 'rule'?

You know, I can't remember, I did it in the 90s so the good part of 20 years ago, you couldn't have potatoes with your meat and veg or pasta with meat etc. Needless to say it wasn't sustainable and I didn't ever go back to it even when I regained the weight. I've tried allsorts: Low GI diet, VLCD, WW on several occasions, meal replacement diets similar to slim fast, herbalife but just the shakes and I can go on and they all have one thing in common they made me want to eat all the food I wasn't allowed and when I stopped I gained the weight I lost back.