Fasting and electrolytes

Options
Ironandwine69
Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
edited April 2017 in Food and Nutrition
What do you guys think about electrolyte imbalance during fasting periods?

I have been practicing IF for many years and overall I love it. However during cutting cycles I noticed I would get light-headed and get headaches. So I would break my fast just to get rid of these symptoms, even though I was not hungry.
After alot of research, I had a suspicion that these symptoms might be signs of electrolyte imbalance ( I drink a TON of water too). So I bought some electrolyte supplement to use with my water and have not had a headache since.

Does anyone have experience with electrolyte supplements?

Replies

• RedSquadronLeader
    RedSquadronLeader Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes. I seem to be disposed to problems with electrolyte balance - usually the symptom is a minor headache or general low energy, but occasionally I'll be very lightheaded or have brief blackouts if I get up too fast, during working out, etc. Bought an electrolyte supplement on Amazon you add to water (I think it's called Endure), it's got a better balance than Gatorade and also Gatorade is gross and I don't want all that sugar.
    Anyway, ever since I started adding that to my water whenever I work out, or really just once a day regardless, no more issues! I also have very low blood pressure genetically; a doc told me to eat more salt - since I cook basically everything from scratch I'm mindful to salt the crap out of everything. Salt. It's magic. =)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    When insulin goes down you retain less water and lose electrolytes along with a few pounds of water weight. It's true for LCHF diets as well as for fasting.

It is recommended that you get 3000-5000mg of sodium per day. There are 2300mg of sodium in a teaspoon of table salt so that's a couple of teaspoons. I add 1 tsp of salt to my water and drink salty boullion. Others make keto-aid with a calorie free flavoured drink and a lot of salt. It could be something to look into.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    Yes. I seem to be disposed to problems with electrolyte balance - usually the symptom is a minor headache or general low energy, but occasionally I'll be very lightheaded or have brief blackouts if I get up too fast, during working out, etc. Bought an electrolyte supplement on Amazon you add to water (I think it's called Endure), it's got a better balance than Gatorade and also Gatorade is gross and I don't want all that sugar.
    Anyway, ever since I started adding that to my water whenever I work out, or really just once a day regardless, no more issues! I also have very low blood pressure genetically; a doc told me to eat more salt - since I cook basically everything from scratch I'm mindful to salt the crap out of everything. Salt. It's magic. =)

Interestingly enough Gatorade was my first clue. I happen to drink some Gatorade once and it made me feel much better. And that's when I started researching electrolyte imbalance. I like the taste of Gatorade, but even the low calorie ones have enough calories to break my fast. I wanted something close to calorie free. I found Dr. Price's electrolyte mix, it has only 5 calories per serving. I take one or two a day now and I feel great. I can't believe it took me a long while to figure this out.
    I will check Endure out, maybe they have some flavors I might like.
    Do you use it every day?
  • RedSquadronLeader
    RedSquadronLeader Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use it most days, unless I'm mostly just sitting around doing nothing. The one I've got is unflavored - just electrolytes dissolved in water, but you could add those Mio drops or whatever to give it some flavor too, I would think. I haven't been doing IF lately but I have before, actually now I wonder if I'd feel better on it with the electrolytes. Maybe something I'll try.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If I am feeling like I'm low, or to keep symptoms away if I am eating very low carb, I just add some salt to a glass of water.

However, if you want something else, Powerade Zero will do the trick and has zero calories...though I assume it has artificial sweeteners of some type. I have had that a couple of times, and it is very good.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    I use it most days, unless I'm mostly just sitting around doing nothing. The one I've got is unflavored - just electrolytes dissolved in water, but you could add those Mio drops or whatever to give it some flavor too, I would think. I haven't been doing IF lately but I have before, actually now I wonder if I'd feel better on it with the electrolytes. Maybe something I'll try.

OMG the difference with the electrolytes mix is night and day. I am loving IF again. I would totally recommend trying it.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    When insulin goes down you retain less water and lose electrolytes along with a few pounds of water weight. It's true for LCHF diets as well as for fasting.

It is recommended that you get 3000-5000mg of sodium per day. There are 2300mg of sodium in a teaspoon of table salt so that's a couple of teaspoons. I add 1 tsp of salt to my water and drink salty boullion. Others make keto-aid with a calorie free flavoured drink and a lot of salt. It could be something to look into.

It's funny how everyone tells you to stay away from salt. Yet it's so important.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind the flavor, try pickle juice for replacing electrolytes. My friends doctor suggested she drink it when she was going through chemo. I then did some research on it because I had never heard of that before.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    rhaiin wrote: »
    If you don't mind the flavor, try pickle juice for replacing electrolytes. My friends doctor suggested she drink it when she was going through chemo. I then did some research on it because I had never heard of that before.

I love pickle juice!!!Thank you for the suggestion.