homemade kimchi anyone?

Options
Theo166
Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
After making what I thought was superb cabbage soup the other week, got a wild hair up my *kitten* and experimented by making kimchi last night, for the first time. Thought it would be a flavorful and low cal side to have on hand.

Anyone else had success with kimichi, or with other fermented sides?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I've made saurkraut a few times, it was fun. I've fermented other things too but not kimchi. I'm not a fan of kimchi:(

Have you read this book by Sandor Katz, "Wild Fermentation"? He has tons of ideas for fermenting.

Here's his website.

http://www.wildfermentation.com

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,131 Member
    Options
    I love kimchi. I have never made it since I am the only one in the house who does, not to mention my wife cannot eat cabbage at all. The only fermented stuff I have made, other than beer and wine, are kefir and kombacha neither of which I make any more. So I guess it is only beer and wine for me. ;-)
  • Theo166
    Options
    Thanks for the link (now bookmarked), I'm a complete novice but my sister had a big ceramic pickling jar that was begging for first use.

I probably should have started with saurkraut for my first effort :) .
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I made this recipe once. I found it too salty. But I have been wanting to try again adjusting the salt. I like all the ingredients. thekitchn.com/flotus-tweets-out-a-kimchi-recipe-food-news-183931

Would love to know the recipe you used. Care to share?
  • Theo166
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I made this recipe once. I found it too salty. But I have been wanting to try again adjusting the salt. I like all the ingredients. thekitchn.com/flotus-tweets-out-a-kimchi-recipe-food-news-183931

Would love to know the recipe you used. Care to share?
    Thanks for the link.

LOL, I mixed up several recipes from the internet, and i think it's way to salty as well. I didn't rinse the cabbage after salting. I'll post a full recipe after I have a successful batch. This one is still in it's first day of the fermentation cycle and may need to dilute it with more water and then drain off. It also may not be recoverable :'(
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I ended up adding some of the salty kimchi to recipes. I did a veggie soup and fried rice. It was good that way.

edited to add recipe

Spicy Kimchi Soup
    The Domestic Geek

6-8 cups vegetable broth
    1 tbsp coconut oil
    1 onion, finely diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tsp ginger, grated
    3 carrots, peeled and sliced
    3 celery ribs, sliced
    1 cup mushrooms, sliced
    1 red bell pepper, sliced
    1 cup kimchi
    1 tsp red chili flakes

In a large soup pot or Dutch oven heat oil over med-high. Add onion & sauté for 2 to 3 min. Add garlic and ginger & cook for an additional minute. Add broth, carrots and celery. Bring mixture to a boil & then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, bell pepper and kimchi. Simmer for another 5 min. Season with red chili flakes
    Store in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I haven't done kimchi, but I make fermented pickles (carrots, curried cauliflower, cinnamon apples) and water kefir. Give things time - the salt flavour tends to decrease as the acid takes over.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    For having enjoyed some varieties of homemade kimchi, I can only recommend one of my sister's go-to with Korean Favourites: https://www.maangchi.com/recipes/kimchi

ETA typo
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My MIL is Korean and makes us homemade kimchi all the time. If I ever get the chance to make it with her I will share the recipe. She makes some with cabbage some with radishes and some with bean sprouts. They are all delicious!
  • Theo166
    Options
    For having enjoyed some varieties of homemade kimchi, I can only recommend one of my sister's go-to with Korean Favourites: https://www.maangchi.com/recipes/kimchi

ETA typo

Yes, I've been looking at that site. Decent instructions and good video as a guide. I may try cucumber kimchi as my next project.
  • Birdygirl15
    Birdygirl15 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I want to try making kimchi, but for one person with a small kitchen and fridge, it is tricky. I did try sauerkraut from the recipe below. I used red and green cabbage, but the veg has all turned red now. The fermentation stage worked fine, (in an English winter but my kitchen is warm, and of course I have heating) but was too salty, so I will cut that down next time. I love caraway seed, so that definitely goes in. To make this first batch palatable, I put a little fat-free dressing on it, french or honey, to cut the salt when I serve some up.
    https://www.thespruce.com/single-jar-sauerkraut-recipe-1327725
  • Birdygirl15
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »

Ooh, that one looks really easy, and ideal for my situation! Thanks for that.

• samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love pickled foods, especially indian lemon or mango pickle. Easy to pick up in a store, and also simple to make at home, but it lasts forever, and it really ups the flavors in a lot of simple dishes like oatmeal (savory). But watch out for sodium as it uses the salt to preserve the fruit and chilis.
  • Birdygirl15
    Options
    Me again :) Is piccalilli known in America? Love the stuff, can be sharp or sweet according to taste. Fabulous with ham, bacon and cold roast beef, or cold meat pies with raised crust pastry (not that us weight losers can eat much of that!).
    Like most pickles, you can tweak the recipe if you can't get all the ingredients. My last batch used up whatever vinegars I had, and veg that Aldi had in their special buys that week.

https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/pams-piccalilli is just one version. Mine is in an old recipe book I've had for years, but any one is adaptable.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I made some last week (first time).
    Still fermenting, will try some soon :)
  • Theo166
    Options
    Me again :) Is piccalilli known in America? Love the stuff, can be sharp or sweet according to taste. Fabulous with ham, bacon and cold roast beef, or cold meat pies with raised crust pastry (not that us weight losers can eat much of that!).
    Like most pickles, you can tweak the recipe if you can't get all the ingredients. My last batch used up whatever vinegars I had, and veg that Aldi had in their special buys that week.

https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/pams-piccalilli is just one version. Mine is in an old recipe book I've had for years, but any one is adaptable.

Piccalilli sounds yummy but I think is relatively unknown in the USA
  • Birdygirl15
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Piccalilli sounds yummy but I think is relatively unknown in the USA

Heinz make the pickle, one version is a bit sweet, but you might find it to give it a try. As always, homemade is best, and so easy to make. I make chutneys and love to do fruit jam from foraged blackberries from my local woods and hedgerows in autumn. Brings back childhood memories!

Enjoy your new hobby, it can become addictive :)

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I made fresh pickles, last week. The jars go straight to the refrigerator though. I'm waiting for the heat of the habanero to develop, it takes about three weeks.

0l91o7dntno1.jpg

Mouth is watering now...
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I am a total kimchi fan and get twitchy if I don't have some in the (garage) fridge. I keep it in OH's beer fridge as it is a bit smelly :-)
    This link is also good:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-easy-kimchi-at-home-189390

I've made daikon/mouli kimchi as well, but prefer the chinese leave/cabbage variant.
    I've made the traditional one (with anchovy sauce) and without, with tamari, for my vegetarian daughter.

It's addictive!

<edited to add photo>
    cabbage in two jars on the left, radish on the right.
    1lc8di3ak8ju.jpg