DonT touch my food!

Options
2»

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Maybe it is just me, but I really can't see why people get so possessive over food. Yeah I get it-you took the time to weigh it, but in the grand scheme of things, is one bite really going to make that big of a difference in the calories? Granted, it would be rude if they did it without asking first, that I do agree with.

Also-stabbing then with a fork? Seriously? That's assault. You really think it is appropriate to assault someone over food?

Edit: I'm not saying they have the right to touch your food, but I think assaulting them is over reacting.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Maybe it is just me, but I really can't see why people get so possessive over food. Yeah I get it-you took the time to weigh it, but in the grand scheme of things, is one bite really going to make that big of a difference in the calories? Granted, it would be rude if they did it without asking first, that I do agree with.

Also-stabbing then with a fork? Seriously? That's assault. You really think it is appropriate to assault someone over food?

Edit: I'm not saying they have the right to touch your food, but I think assaulting them is over reacting.

Because we're hungry.

Also, I don't personally advocate stabbing someone with a fork. Just threatening. I mean, at least give fair warning that you're gonna do it. I get the desire to follow through, though.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options

For me it's the presumption behind it. Nobody has a right to my stuff. Whether they ask, or just lean over and take it, the expectation is that I'll let them have it. It's like they think they're entitled to it.
    If it was a partner, as in the OP's case, then even though they probably do have a right to some of my stuff, I'd be annoyed because I'd have explained to them why I weigh my food and expect them to understand that once it's weighed, it's mine and I'm planning to eat it. If it's someone other than a partner, what makes them think they have the right?

I am definitely not a believer that sharing is caring. I don't take food when people offer it, unless it's something like a portion of chips that I've ordered with the intention of sharing with a friend, or at a bring your own buffet. So if I don't take other people's food, why do they have the right to take mine?
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    OP I feel the same way when I'm weighing and measuring. I find it hurtful when they want some of my carefully weighed food because to me when I'm trying so hard, it feels like they're not being supportive of my efforts. Lack of support yep that's what hurts my feelings.

If you feel like sharing you could maybe weigh the food before and after his bite and use the recipe builder to figure out what he ate. I know you might have to wait until you wash the container to weigh that, kind of a pain. On the other hand I've noticed when someone wants a bite of my food they take the best bite, like the big piece of chicken with none of the greens, so that might not work.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I don't mind sharing a bite.
  • elphie754
    Options

Because we're hungry.

Also, I don't personally advocate stabbing someone with a fork. Just threatening. I mean, at least give fair warning that you're gonna do it. I get the desire to follow through, though.

So it's okay to threaten someone just because you are hungry? In some places, just the threat alone is illegal.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Couples can tend to share food off eachother's plates, and breaking that bonding habit can be tough. Go easy on him. A simple "I love you, and I know this is going to be hard to get used to, but the next time you reach for my food I'm going to stab you with my fork" would do the trick.

Hey, how about setting aside a few bites for him to try if you're having something different?

I have done this. Not to my husband, but to a a greedy work colleague who was always too cheap to buy his own food when whenever we went to the pub for lunch, but was more than happy to help himself from everyone else's plates. He tried to steal a piece of scampi so I stabbed him. He was absolutely outraged, and accused me of over-reacting. I just told him I didn't give a stuff and I would happily do it again.

Because we're hungry.

So it's okay to threaten someone just because you are hungry? In some places, just the threat alone is illegal.

You're taking it a bit too seriously.

Oh really? Because the above post clearly says she stabbed him, which is assault. I don't care how hungry you are, assault or threatening assault is not okay.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Couples can tend to share food off eachother's plates, and breaking that bonding habit can be tough. Go easy on him. A simple "I love you, and I know this is going to be hard to get used to, but the next time you reach for my food I'm going to stab you with my fork" would do the trick.

Hey, how about setting aside a few bites for him to try if you're having something different?

I have done this. Not to my husband, but to a a greedy work colleague who was always too cheap to buy his own food when whenever we went to the pub for lunch, but was more than happy to help himself from everyone else's plates. He tried to steal a piece of scampi so I stabbed him. He was absolutely outraged, and accused me of over-reacting. I just told him I didn't give a stuff and I would happily do it again.

Because we're hungry.

You're taking it a bit too seriously.

Oh really? Because the above post clearly says she stabbed him, which is assault. I don't care how hungry you are, assault or threatening assault is not okay.

Some states allow deadly force in defense of property (ETA the value of the property being a factor). I personally don't agree with it, but it's protected by law. So what's your point?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    So, I guess where we're at is: check the laws in your state before threatening someone with a minor boo boo to defend your food...right?
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Lol, if I'm defending my food, I won't be using the same definition of 'stab' as if a guy was trying to rape me or something. In that case, the 'stab' would be directed at their eyeballs, and would cause serious harm. Two different things!