Psychological Support In Weight Loss

Options
I'm not quite sure how to word this so forgive me if I don't articulate this quite right, but has anyone used a professional to help with their food issues? Like a therapist or similar?

I know that a huge part of my weight issues are in my head, and I'm not sure how to unpick them by myself. I have tried and had limited, temporary success but I'm prone to self sabotage. I know my unhealthy eating habits are massively linked to low self esteem for example, but somehow just knowing that alone doesn't help me fix it.

I feel a little like I can't fix the physical unless I work on the mental too, does anyone understand what I mean? Or am I just talking rubbish?

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've been seeing a dietician, mostly to talk out goals, proper calories intake, macros, walk thru my diary, etc. it's helpful just to have someone to talk to about the struggles since my husbands capacity for diet talk is limited. When I approached her about my background, she did suggest a therapist. I've not explored that option yet, but will if things don't get easier. Don't be ashamed or scared to reach out for help! And there are lots of great books out there that may help explore your issues.
  • TheRobotsAreComing
    TheRobotsAreComing Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies!
  • LessofAJ
    LessofAJ Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing anyone currently, but I've heard a saying something like, "90% of weight loss is from the neck up" and I find it to ring true for my own battle. I get in my own way. I say go for it if you feel like it'd be beneficial!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    There are therapists that specialize in weight management and body image issues. So it's not uncommon. I hope you will be able to get the help you need.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've been working with someone while working on losing weight. It's been worth it and I wouldn't be able to lose without the added help. I say go for it. It's likely to help A LOT.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, low self esteem causes fewer problems than thinking too highly of yourself.
  • firead
    firead Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    There are therapists & support groups that focus on the mental aspects of weight loss.
    There is even an "Overeaters Anonymous", which is a 12-step group that treats overeating and other food issues as an addiction and teaches people to learn to manage the emotional and psychological triggers for it.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yes. Several years back I lost a significant amount of weight and was afraid I'd gain it back. I specifically sought a therapist who specialized in helping athletes, those with weight management issues, and body image issues. It was helpful at the time to getting to the root of WHY I felt certain ways. It did help me let go of some underlying issues. I was not able to continue (work/insurance limitation), but it was helpful when I went. (Punchline: I gained a lot back due to a very complicated pregnancy and recovery. I have now lost it all and then some. Keeping it off is the scary part for me). Even though at some point I gained much back it was still very helpful because one of my underlying issues/triggers has been dealt with to the point where it does not get to me at all (Hi Mom!) and it has helped me with my determination and focus to keep going again.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anyone, but then again, I'm also a psychologist. I figured out my own issues. It was actually partly why I chose to become a psychologist. There is nothing wrong with seeking help through the mental aspects of weight management. Almost everyone who is obese and even overweight have a misguided view of food, themselves amid others. Or a mixture of it all. Seek help, if you feel you need it, by all means do it. However, as a disclaimer, it will not fix the problem for you, it will just help you become aware and provide you the tools to do it yourself. My recommendation, seek help for the mental and also seek help for the physical. A dietician, personal trainer and or a doctor who specializes in weight issues. Get yourself a team of professional help. You can do this.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I started seeing a therapist before I ever started to lose weight and still do. I started at 386 lbs and I knew it wasn't normal, and I also felt I would never get my weight in check if I didn't get my head straight. Therapy helped me SO much. It helped me undo a lot of the negative thinking and it's subsequent (and a lot of time) subconscious actions that led me to where I was. I was able to make a plan and move forward and lose weight. I always say I have had a team throughout my journey, because I worked with my therapist, doctor, trainer and have an awesome support group of friends and family. I still have my struggles, and that's why I continue therapy. Losing the equivalent of a person presents a whole different set of issues and I want to make sure I prepared to deal with whatever crosses my path. I am a true believer in what @LessofAJ said, it's 90% from the neck up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Cognitive behavioral therapy is great for dealing with self-sabotage. Sometimes people avoid therapy because they think it will be years and years about talking about your childhood. That's Freudian, not CBT :)

While you get the ball rolling on that, you can check out this book on CBT for overeating. It was available in my library system, so maybe yours too.

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, binging, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)