Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

1500 calorie diet

So I'm 6'5 and I weigh about 330 pounds starting. I'm on nutrisystem and I'm really only eating about 1500 calories a day but I'm not feeling hungry. Is it ok to continue this way. (I'm not worried about losing muscle)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    What does mfp tell you to eat when you put your stats in?

You should be worried about losing muscle. It's inevitable that you'll lose some during weight loss, but holding on to as much as possible will be better for you in the long term.
  • jcampbell_27
    jcampbell_27 Posts: 2 Member
    Well I'm starting to lift now to maintain what I have. Is it unreasonable to think that a 1500 calorie diet with lifting will help me lose weight but maintain muscle? I meet all my protein goals for the day too.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Everyone loses some muscle when they lose weight. You can minimize that by exercising and eating as many calories over the 1500 as you burn with exercise.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    So I'm 6'5 and I weigh about 330 pounds starting. I'm on nutrisystem and I'm really only eating about 1500 calories a day but I'm not feeling hungry. Is it ok to continue this way. (I'm not worried about losing muscle)

Not really healthy. You could give yourself gallstones that way. The reason they say to aim for losing 2lbs a week is more than just holding on to muscle. You can really mess your body up by not eating enough to quickly. Someone roughly half your size (literally half) would most likely cut down on close to 1500 calories.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Umm....I'm. 5'2.5 and weigh 139lbs and eat 1500 calories to lose...I'm no expert but I would imagine you're going to lose at an unhealthy rate...what's your activity level...cause I am active, but still that seems like a huge deficit...but I'm not an expert
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    1500 is way too low, find a tdee calculator and start there, at your height and weight you should be eating probably double that .. less is not better you need to eat to lose weight, also nutrisystem is terrible you need real food if you want to achieve and maintain your weight loss