Cutting out refined sugar for abs

Options
I've been working out a ton...eating clean (most the time) i'm approaching 40 and all my fat goes to my stomach. I'm also a new wine drinker as of the past year so I know that doesn't help. I cut out alcohol for about 35 days couple months ago didn't see a difference so I'm going to try to cut out refined sugars for two weeks to start to see if my abs will come through! I'm looking for an accountability partner :) add me as a friend or comment any tips!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Nope. Calorie deficit is required for fat/weight loss, not cutting out sugar. If you cut out refined sugars but still eat the same amount of calories in other foods, there will be no difference. .

You say you eat clean most of the time. Regardless of what that means for you, are you counting your calories? Weighing (solids) and measuring (liquids) everything you eat? Logging using accurate entries?
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Yeah... it really just comes down to calories in vs. calories out. If you cut out refined sugar but your calorie intake remained the same, so would the scale. Figure out your calorie goal and what foods satisfy you the most. I definitely recommend using a food scale to track as accurately as possible as well :)
    Also, not sure how much you have to lose or how aggressive your goal is, but most of the time it's more effective to ease into these changes for lasting results. For example, I don't have much to lose so I'm not expecting to lose more than .5lb a week! Anything more is a bonus.
  • ericalillykristene
    ericalillykristene Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes logging everything correctly and specifically. I just want to lose 5 lbs. I can tell I'm getting toned up every where else but my stomach and back. Maybe that's next. I bought a brand-new body weight scale but it's definitely not working one day it says a high # The next 5 lbs down. So need to take it back and maybe just start measuring with tape measure. Super frustrated. :(
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Yes logging everything correctly and specifically. I just want to lose 5 lbs. I can tell I'm getting toned up every where else but my stomach and back. Maybe that's next. I bought a brand-new body weight scale but it's definitely not working one day it says a high # The next 5 lbs down. So need to take it back and maybe just start measuring with tape measure. Super frustrated. :(

Weight loss isn't linear. Daily fluctuations are normal. Get a weight trend app - log your weight every day and the general trend over time will be apparent.

You also can't choose where fat goes from. Keep being consistent and eventually your stomach and back will lean up too.
  • owa1s
    owa1s Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If u are counting ur calories try decreasing a bit of carbs or fats (fats should be about .4 to .6 per pound of body weight). Taking sugar out of ur diet is very good if u can do that (for me I need to have some sugar because I crave it a lot I wish I could stop lol). Try not drinking ur calories also u should only be drinking 0 calorie drinks like diet soda ( not recommending because it's processed sugar), water and coffee or green/black tea. U can eat green leafy vegetables for carbs because it's filling and contains low calories from carbs. If ur carbs are low (150 grams per day) then add some cardio to ur weight training sessions. That's what advice I have for u u can ask me questions if u r confused