Gaining weight over the past week and it's depressing me!

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I have another 10 days until my period is due. Is there any chance there could be something medically wrong like hypothyroidism or anything like that? Or is that rare? It's like I've just looked at other people's diaries and seeing 1700-1800 calories per day. I would definitely gain ( and have gained) if I eat so many calories. But I don't exercise much because of my knee so maybe that's the difference?

With 10 days to go you are highly likely to be ovulating (14-10 days is the average) . Keep a track of your weight and you'll find over 6 months or so you can plot your hormonal weight gains.
  • Tashlovesfood
    Tashlovesfood Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone your advice is really appreciated
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... you are right I just need to sit tight and keep going. I have a knee problem as well which prevents me from exercising much. I try to walk as much as a I can but I can't jog or run which is annoying. But I know 80 percent of weight loss is how many calories you consume so I just need to stick at it. It's just depressing because I started feeling like I might actually do this for once and now I feel like a failure because the scale is just going up. I can take two or three days of that but it has been going up for a week now...

If you are recovering from an injury you may be retaining water that used for healing. Every time I injure something (which seems to be frequently) my weight will go up a pound or two - recovery, taking ibuprofen, etc. Goes back down in a few days.
  • Tashlovesfood
    Tashlovesfood Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Thanks everyone... you are right I just need to sit tight and keep going. I have a knee problem as well which prevents me from exercising much. I try to walk as much as a I can but I can't jog or run which is annoying. But I know 80 percent of weight loss is how many calories you consume so I just need to stick at it. It's just depressing because I started feeling like I might actually do this for once and now I feel like a failure because the scale is just going up. I can take two or three days of that but it has been going up for a week now...

If you are recovering from an injury you may be retaining water that used for healing. Every time I injure something (which seems to be frequently) my weight will go up a pound or two - recovery, taking ibuprofen, etc. Goes back down in a few days.

Thanks but not recovering from anything :(
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it. I've always had under 1600 calories per day. I started losing weight ( 3 pounds since restarting myfitnesspal) and was feeling really happy about it. To be fair I only lost if I was eating around 1300 calories so maybe my body needs less calories than most people. But for the past week the scale has kept creeping up day by day and I've gained 2 pounds even though I've not overraten or gone over 1600 calories. Could it just be that I need to eat less still? 1200 calories is nothing! Could it be the foods I am eating? I'm just eating whatever I want as long as it fits into my calories for the day. I never thought it made a difference weight loss wise. I'm very confused and it's getting me down as I have a lot of weight to lose. I'm 29 years old, female and 212.4 pounds :(

I see a lot of people who say they are eating so much and should be losing but they do lose if they eat some less number. I tend to think that it isn't that they need fewer calories than most people but that they are actually eating more calories than they think. Many come back with, "I weigh everything I stick in my mouth," but still they aren't losing. It seems to me that the best thing to do is for people to quit worrying about why they aren't losing with the number of calories they are eating at and just keep reducing what they eat until they reach a point at which they are losing between 1 and 2 lbs per week.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    fhmangana wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to cut down on bread. Also I find that running helps with weight loss.

No. Bread calories are the same as any other calorie. Running burns calories, certainly, but again, it's no more special than any other calorie burn in terms of weight loss. CICO.
  • numbz618
    numbz618 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There's 2 different reasons for this.

1. Weight loss is simple math. Calories in vs calories out. If your eating more calories then your burning then you will gain weight. Try tweaking your diet. Subscribe carbs and all that with more veggie rather then high sugar fruits.

2. You're gaining muscle. Muscle weights more then fat so if you are working out and starting to obtain muscle then you will go thru what a lot of people do. Gain 2 loss 4, gain one lose 2. It's a slow process but effective. The more muscle you gain during weight loss the better your body will look. Instead of dropping drastic weight with little muscle gain in which your stuck with a lot of excess skin.

Good luck with your continual journey!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    numbz618 wrote: »
    There's 2 different reasons for this.

1. Weight loss is simple math. Calories in vs calories out. If your eating more calories then your burning then you will gain weight. Try tweaking your diet. Subscribe carbs and all that with more veggie rather then high sugar fruits.

2. You're gaining muscle. Muscle weights more then fat so if you are working out and starting to obtain muscle then you will go thru what a lot of people do. Gain 2 loss 4, gain one lose 2. It's a slow process but effective. The more muscle you gain during weight loss the better your body will look. Instead of dropping drastic weight with little muscle gain in which your stuck with a lot of excess skin.

Good luck with your continual journey!

She is not gaining muscle eating at a deficit for a couple of weeks and 1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle.

And your correct that it is simple math so eating veggies vs fruit matters diddly.
  • creyes4182
    creyes4182 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Technically it's calories in calories out you should be ok in the long run. But I find I get better results if I manage my macros. For example I need to maintain my muscle mass so I can't go under a certain amount of protein so I have to eat eggs, meats, nuts. I don't want to trigger an insulin spike so I don't go over a certain amount of carbs so I limit my carbs to green leafy veggies. Whatever I have left over is for "healthy" fats like coconut/olive oil, avocados, nuts etc. You don't have to go that extreme but every time you have too many carbs you trigger an insulin spike. The insulin grabs the exesss glucose from your blood stream and stores it as fat. It has to do that because too much glucose could kill you or put you in a coma. So my approach is avoid that spike and you avoid storing fat. Try cutting down on the sugar/bread and try eating more veggies and chicken. Fats and protein don't cause spikes.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    creyes4182 wrote: »
    Technically it's calories in calories out you should be ok in the long run. But I find I get better results if I manage my macros. For example I need to maintain my muscle mass so I can't go under a certain amount of protein so I have to eat eggs, meats, nuts. I don't want to trigger an insulin spike so I don't go over a certain amount of carbs so I limit my carbs to green leafy veggies. Whatever I have left over is for "healthy" fats like coconut/olive oil, avocados, nuts etc. You don't have to go that extreme but every time you have too many carbs you trigger an insulin spike. The insulin grabs the exesss glucose from your blood stream and stores it as fat. It has to do that because too much glucose could kill you or put you in a coma. So my approach is avoid that spike and you avoid storing fat. Try cutting down on the sugar/bread and try eating more veggies and chicken. Fats and protein don't cause spikes.

It is calories in vs calories out as that is how are bodies work. Simple science.

All food including protein and fats create an insulin spike.

Nothing can store as fat whilst eating at a deficit.

Too much water can also kill you.

There is no need to avoid sugar or bread.

• creyes4182
    Options

It is calories in vs calories out as that is how are bodies work. Simple science.

All food including protein and fats create an insulin spike.

Nothing can store as fat whilst eating at a deficit.

Too much water can also kill you.

There is no need to avoid sugar or bread.

Didn't say to cut them out completely I said to cut down on them. Sugar does a crazy amount of damage to your body. You have too much and you end up with type 2 diabetes. Doctors say your not suppose to go over a certain amount of sugar in a day. And guess what if you have one can of soda you've already gone over the daily "safe" limit as recommended by doctors(37g of sugar). Breads, pastas, even milk all have sugar. Simple carbs all turn into glucose and cause a spike. And no protein and fats don't spike anything. Complex carbs are fine since they digest slower and also don't cause a spike.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    https://www.casewatch.org/board/chiro/berg.shtml

That is not a study. That is a you tube link with a lot of mis information in it by a debunked Dr.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Make sure your logging is tight and that the database entries you are using are correct. Even if you are weighing and measuring everything, if you choose an erroneous entry (plenty of those, since the MFP database is user-submitted) you could be eating more than you think. Your logged 1300 may be closer to 1600, and your logged 1600 could be more like 1800. Not saying it is, but it's worth mentioning.

I'll also ditto the likelyhood of water retention. I can be spot on with calories and logging and still gain due to water. It's no big deal and it always comes back off. Just have to be patient!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    fhmangana wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to cut down on bread. Also I find that running helps with weight loss.

No to both.
  • creyes4182
    edited April 2017
    Options

That is not a study. That is a you tube link with a lot of mis information in it by a debunked Dr.

That was just the last video I saw on it, there are many more sources. The OP can do whatever she wants, I going from my personal experience eating whatever you want and staying under calories will lead to malnourishment. You can either eat a chicken salad or a slice of cake, if you honestly think you're body will get what it needs from the cake and it's ok because it's the same amount of calories then there's no point in arguing. We're not going to change each others minds.

I did the low calorie thing. I was 330 and got down to 280. My body ached all over, even my joints and bones ached. When I couldn't take it anymore I stopped I shot up to 350 in a fraction of the time it took me to lose the weight. I tried low carb and my health issues went away(high blood pressure, cholesterol, the aches in my bones and I was prediabetic before). I went down to 230 got comfortable and decided to try carbs again. Not eating in excess mind you I was actually eating vegan and I shot up to 280 in a little over 2 months.

I got back on the low carb train and the weight loss is steady and I'm not losing strength or getting any aches. Plus after you detox from the sugar you stop getting carb cravings so it's not as bad as you think. All that said she said her approach wasn't working right? I only made a suggestion so what would it hurt to cut back on the sugar to see what happens?

• ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think there is definitely something to be said about eating whatever you want and the effect it has on your Omega-6/Omega-3 balance. Grains and shelf stable food have an extremely high amount of Omega-6 to Omega-3s and can easily tip this balance. Some ratios I've heard were that the standard American has a 16:1 (omega6:omega3) where as we should be closer to 4:1 or lower.
  • creyes4182
    Options

That was just the last video I saw on it, there are many more sources. The OP can do whatever she wants, I going from my personal experience eating whatever you want and staying under calories will lead to malnourishment. You can either eat a chicken salad or a slice of cake, if you honestly think you're body will get what it needs from the cake and it's ok because it's the same amount of calories then there's no point in arguing. We're not going to change each others minds.

I did the low calorie thing. I was 330 and got down to 280. My body ached all over, even my joints and bones ached. When I couldn't take it anymore I stopped I shot up to 350 in a fraction of the time it took me to lose the weight. I tried low carb and my health issues went away(high blood pressure, cholesterol, the aches in my bones and I was prediabetic before). I went down to 230 got comfortable and decided to try carbs again. Not eating in excess mind you I was actually eating vegan and I shot up to 280 in a little over 2 months.

I got back on the low carb train and the weight loss is steady and I'm not losing strength or getting any aches. Plus after you detox from the sugar you stop getting carb cravings so it's not as bad as you think. All that said she said her approach wasn't working right? I only made a suggestion so what would it hurt to cut back on the sugar to see what happens?

Why are you assuming that if someone eats the foods they like, they will only eat cake? Why are you assuming that the advice to eat the foods you enjoy doesn't include meeting your nutritional goals (which, by the way, can be done while sometimes having cake)?

And "eating in excess" and being vegan aren't mutually exclusive states. Vegans can consume more energy than they burn -- vegans gain and lose weight the exact same way as all humans do, based on their calories in versus their calories out?
    She said she was eating whatever and was wondering why she wasn't losing weight. I never said this is why, it was just a suggestion. Why do people get so defensive? I was responding to the person that said there's no need to watch your sugar and bread intake. All I said was try reducing sugar and bread. Use those calories that are freed up for more nutritious things. Cut out soda and juice, drink more water. Try it for a few weeks if that doesn't work then go back to what you were doing. I cut out sugar and got rid of a bunch of medical issues. And you can be skinny and still have diabetes and other medical issues. Just because eating low calorie makes you thinner it doesn't mean it makes you healthier.