Headache while running

I just started getting back to running now that it's spring, but I have been getting these horrible headaches about 20 minutes into my run. I'm not sure what to do about this or why it might be happening. It was never a problem for me before when I started running again (I always take the winters off) The only thing I can think that's changed is that I have moved somewhere quite windy and I have very sensitive ears, but running with a head band doesn't help.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    You might try taking a little longer on your warmup, so the change in heartrate isn't as sudden.
  • GoldBikiniGoals
    GoldBikiniGoals Posts: 47 Member
    Have you had your blood pressure checked recently? That's about the only thing I can think of.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2017
    I just started getting back to running now that it's spring, but I have been getting these horrible headaches about 20 minutes into my run. I'm not sure what to do about this or why it might be happening. It was never a problem for me before when I started running again (I always take the winters off) The only thing I can think that's changed is that I have moved somewhere quite windy and I have very sensitive ears, but running with a head band doesn't help.

Did you perhaps move to somewhere seasonal allergies, pollution, etc could be issues?
  • ottbbabe2002
    ottbbabe2002 Posts: 15 Member
    I had my blood pressure checked last month and it was normal, and there isn't any pollution or more of an allergy concern.
  • momar74
    momar74 Posts: 56 Member
    Could be your blood glucose level is going too low compared to what you are used to. Eat a snack that agrees with your body and your run about an hour before your run and see if that makes a difference. Other possibilities could be that you have post-nasal or sinus issues, neti-pot to clean all that out may help. You may have to try a number of different things to figure this out.

Agree with earlier posts, regarding starting slow and progressing slow.
  • paigele
    paigele Posts: 123 Member
    If these suggestions to not improve this, see your medical professional. It might be nothing, but it also could be something quite serious. Not to scare you, but headaches onset with physical exertion are not something to write off. If you ever experience any of these associated with it, seek immediate medical attention: weakness, severe unsteadiness, confusion or inability to understand others, hearing or vision changes, difficulty speaking, numbness (or paralysis even partial,) and of course seizures
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,735 Member
    Could you be dehydrated? I get headaches when I don't drink enough. Wind will also make any allergy issues (dust, pollen, grass) much worse. Another possibility is, are you holding your shoulders too tight? If you haven't run for a while, you may be tensing up.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    If no other symptoms during or after running, sounds like electrolyte imbalance and/or dehydration.