Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

throwing scales away?

Options
thedarkhorseyy
thedarkhorseyy Posts: 13 Member
It is really easy to get caught up on the number on the scales. It helps guide the process of loosing weight as you can instantly see the positive or negative results. But would it be more beneficial to focus on the feeling you are gaining? Happiness as you become healthier?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yes it is so very easy to get caught up on the scale. However the scale lies. What is going on in your body is trumped by daily fluctuations. How often you use it is up to personal preference.

Gains on the scale when you know emphatically you are on point with diet can be food in gut, waste not eliminated, dietary (more/less carbs, sodium), hydration and lack there of, muscle/glycogen and as women, hormones (for me twice a month) effects the scale.

Perhaps look at the scale as a tool... Use progress photos, how you look and feel in your clothes, use measurements, and yes use the scale as a guide.

But everyone has to make their own peace with the scale and how they use it imho.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It is really easy to get caught up on the number on the scales. It helps guide the process of loosing weight as you can instantly see the positive or negative results. But would it be more beneficial to focus on the feeling you are gaining? Happiness as you become healthier?

That bolded part is the misunderstanding.

The scale weight can NOT do that actually - as others mentioned, all kinds of reasons for water weight fluctuations.

Too frequent and it's just noise - in which case you need a good 30 days to discern something through the noise - hence the popularity of the trend weight apps.

Too infrequent and not on valid weigh-in days to minimize water weight changes - and you are in the same boat - not enough useful data to discern anything.

No - it's not an instant gauge of anything except water weight changes.
    Which if you can find that interesting, weight 3-4 x daily and just see how much can change.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    If it's possible for you, I think it's a better strategy to thoroughly convince yourself that it's Just Data, one of many tools you can use to help you reach your goals, and nothing more. Most particularly, it isn't a measure of your worth, competence, or happiness.

Personally, I like to weigh every day, and record the results. I've done it for years, even when not trying to lose - not obsessive about weight, just a fan of data. For me, seeing the scale reading every day helped me to understand my personal weight fluctuations, what causes them, and roughly how long it will take for them to change direction. It helped take emotion out of the situation.

It's data, not useful without context. For me, food logging creates a lot of context: If I'm within calorie goals, upward fluctuations are random. If I eat enough over goal to gain a pound, I know how much of what I see on the scale is true weight gain, and that any more is sodium or digestive contents that will be gone in a few days. I know how long it will take me at some particular deficit to lose the true gain, or how many days delay an over-goal day "cost" on my way to a goal weight.

I don't believe we have "one true weight". There's a continuously-fluctuating range. When the range tends downward, over a longer time scale (weeks to months), we're losing weigh. If it stays stable, we're maintaining. If the range drifts upward over time, we're gaining. It's that simple.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

For me personally, I don't care about feelings-I care about hard data and results. I had to lose the extra weight because of a medical condition (high glucose numbers), and I had one shot of losing the extra weight. The scale is a large part of why I've been so successful. I've now been a daily weigher for around 5 years and my weigh-ins are a valuable tool in my weight management plan.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If you understand the mechanics of weight loss you'll know that 1. 3500 calorie SURPLUS leads to a lb gained 2. Water, sodium and Tom can affect this figure. Once you realize that logically you're not gaining fat, the scale is a very valuable teacher and tool. It shows you how your body responds to particular foods, a binge, time of the month and over time, if you don't see a downward trend you know you have to readjust sooner than had you used the inches method.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Don't throw away your kitchen scale!
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

This supposes that the only reason to lose weight is because one is unhappy or that one is only unhappy due to the extra weight.

For me, I got fat because I focused on my happy feelings instead of the scale. The scale keeps me honest and grounded. Sure.. it makes me happy when it goes down. It also makes me a little frustrated when it goes up. I need that frustration because it fuels my motivation to stick with it and keep going, even if I really want another bowl of ice cream.

• Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It really is a catch 22. "Obsessed" because I weigh myself daily, however not using the scale for a few months is how I ended up with 30lb of extra weight!
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Ditching the scales reminds me of when I tried to drive the car with my eyes closed.

You can't control your direction without key feedbacks on your direction.
    Thank you! I need this!
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Another MFP poster (forgive me as I don't recall their name) said instead of using the scale to measure your progress, find a tighter fitting piece of clothing and try it on instead of getting on the scale. Once it fits better, you'll see the loss :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just don't wash those clothes in hot water or hot dryer.

Bad surprise.

Should be infrequently worn only for feedback.
  • LakesLady
    LakesLady Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Because I have congestive heart failure, I am supposed to weigh every morning (Dr. orders). After awhile, it DOES help see variations in foods even without logging. I can see when I've had too much sodium in diet from day before when there's water weight gain and I know to watch it. Too high in carbs also creates gain and some retention. Then I know to really be careful with the meals. I've been doing it so closely every day for health reasons that I'd never throw away my scales!
  • cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    As with everything else there's no one answer fits all. For me weighing myself everyday is super motivating, regardless of the fluctuations that happen. I just got a scale that also measures body fat %, bone mass, water weight, etc.