interesting food weights

Options
13»

Replies

• amygatl
    amygatl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Forgive the multiple quotes. I'm on my phone. Also a bit technologically challenged
  • BlueberryJoghurt
    BlueberryJoghurt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter as well. Had some dental stuff going on and couldnt chew, ate a whole jar of peanut butter in a day.

Now its 16g and not more! :(
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Popcorn. I air pop, and was happy eating large bowls, thinking it was only a couple hundred calories. I was off by 100%

I eat large bowls of popcorn too, about 50-60g unpopped. It is a couple hundred calories. It's the oil or butter toppings that add to it.

I think our definition of "large bowl" is different. I was routinely eating 2/3 of a cup (unpopped volume), and thought that was only 150 calories or so.

I got fat eating popcorn with no butter or any other topppings.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I recently noticed when buying meats on special, especially chicken, that I'm paying extra for water weight in the absorption pad and packaging. 6 pounds of bone in chicken breast, turns out to be 4 pounds outside the package, and then 2.5 pounds after cooking and pulling the meat off the bone.

So $1.00 a pound really is about $2.40 a pound cooked or $1.50 uncooked with bone in. I've been testing out different brands and meats. I'm trying to find the most honest pricing at the best price.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Quaker Harvest Crunch.

Serving size 2/3 cup for 210 calories. Happily logged 1.5 servings as I'd pour a cup into my bowl.

Then I got a scale. 1 cup was ~ 95 grams. Not the 67.5 grams I had been logging. So not the ~300 calories I had been logging, but almost 50% more.

Finished the box and have not bought another one since.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Daddy78230 wrote: »
    I recently noticed when buying meats on special, especially chicken, that I'm paying extra for water weight in the absorption pad and packaging. 6 pounds of bone in chicken breast, turns out to be 4 pounds outside the package, and then 2.5 pounds after cooking and pulling the meat off the bone.

So $1.00 a pound really is about $2.40 a pound cooked or $1.50 uncooked with bone in. I've been testing out different brands and meats. I'm trying to find the most honest pricing at the best price.

This! Also a similar issue drives me crazy with purchasing frozen unpeeled shrimp. The total package weight quoted (340g) clearly refers to the weight of the shrimp unpeeled, the serving suggestion (90g or 1/3 package= 270g edible total weight) refers to them being peeled (implying that they are aware most people will be purchasing them to consume peeled). Its like a 70g discrepancy every time on a fairly expensive protein. Misleading labeling bugs me...
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It sucks because I can't eat peanut butter. It breaks me out. But yeah, I cry all the time (In my head of course)
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    canned tuna actually ends up being way less than stated on the can once it's been drained. i don't know, maybe some people don't drain it, but my kitties would revolt if they heard a can opener and didn't get snacks.
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    PB...I used to think how much peanut butter would fit on a tablespoon was 1 tbs. When i measured a tbs of PB i was shocked. I could fit 5 tbs on my spoon.
  • FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    This is so depressing, especially the sweet potato. I always believed them. Darn manufacturers. They're like drug dealers. Keep us coming back for more food to stuff ourselves. Good grief!!
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Cheese, cheese, oh man, this one was/is so hard.

The actual measurement of a liquid on everything from milk to beer!

Currently I'm learning about macros and that might be even more disappointing, empty cals everywhere!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    YalithKBK wrote: »
    Peanut butter, ice cream, and cereal. I want to punch whatever *kitten* decided 1/2 cup of cereal or ice cream is anywhere close to what a normal human being would eat as a serving.

I still eat PB and ice cream (mournfully) but have given up cereal.
  • double_nn
    double_nn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was pleasantly surprised when I measured champagne. I was disappointed weighing cheese.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Pasta. Cereal. Bread.

I love Alpen cereal, but holy crap that stuff is calorie dense! So, it's now a rare treat. I've also completely given up on store bought granola and only rarely have the homemade kind. (Fortunately, the amazing homemade granola recipe in the Baked cookbook killed any desire I have to eat store bought granola anymore.)
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Everything. I'm surprised the most by how calorific some fruits are :(