Gaining weight! How to lose with a mirena..

Options
So I got a Mirena in November and gained tons of weight. I have been watching calories and eating better for a month. This past week I started logging everything and exercising daily. I have gained weight.

I am going to drop my calories to 1100 and see if it helps. But who has successfully lost weight with a mirena? What did you do?

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I would echo all of the above, and also add that many things can show an increase on the scale, not just fat gain. Water retention, as mentioned above, but also for women, if you are close to your time of the month, that can also show an increase in weight. I wouldn't be so quick to think your weight gain this week is solely due to your calone intake. Patience will be your best friend in this process. You didn't gain it in a day, you won't lose it in a day, either.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I gained 15 lbs of water weight within the first month of having my Mirena. Four months later,after I also I stared getting cycatic acne and stabbing pains in my pelvis, I had it removed. The weight was gone within two weeks. I've never had weight gain issues with the pill (and I've been on 6 different types over the years) so I just went back to that. The weight gain, acne, and pain wasn't worth the convenience.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The Mirena has made no effect on weight gain or loss for me, currently on my third one. I'd tighten up the logging and give it some time. 1100 calories is not enough but if you aren't logging/weighing/measuring you are very likely eating more than that.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

I would echo all of the above, and also add that many things can show an increase on the scale, not just fat gain. Water retention, as mentioned above, but also for women, if you are close to your time of the month, that can also show an increase in weight. I wouldn't be so quick to think your weight gain this week is solely due to your calone intake. Patience will be your best friend in this process. You didn't gain it in a day, you won't lose it in a day, either.

I gained it in less than 4 months... 30 lbs in 4 months.

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I have had one for 5 years--About to get it replaced. I have lost 35 pounds in the past year without issues. I don't think weight gain is listed as a side effect? Oh well, everyone's body is different I guess. :)
  • ddveedub
    ddveedub Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40ish #. I had horrible side effects to the pill, so my IUD is a hero of contraception! I'm sorry you are not happy with yours. Every body is different though.
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have had the Mirena for nearly two years, I have put on a lot of weight in that time and I have heard it's hard to lose weight on it, but last weigh in I was down 7lbs in 3 weeks. I also have hypothyroidism as well. Once I really started trying it started coming off.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It's still all about calories and/or temporary weight gain. Make sure you are eating the number of calories you think you are by weighing your solids, and don't forget to deduct the bites and nibbles here and there. I got up to 250 lbs while on the pill, then lost about 70, then got the Skyla (Mirena Jr) and lost another 33.
  • Libby283
    Options
    The might log 3 slices of bacon but only eat one. I over estimate my food all the time. I never finish anything either. So if I log a container of yogurt, I usually throw it away with 3-4 bites in it.
  • Libby283
    Options
    I got a Mirena 6 1/2 years ago and when it was expired, I lost a ton of weight and dropped back to my pre kid weight. I kept it off until I had the expired Mirena replaced. I know it is the hormones in the Mirena causing the weight gain.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have had one for 5 years--About to get it replaced. I have lost 35 pounds in the past year without issues. I don't think weight gain is listed as a side effect? Oh well, everyone's body is different I guess. :)

Weight gain is a common side effect. I put a few stone on with my first one, then lost it within the last year (with help). I then gained the weight back on with my second one, but I'm finding it hard to lose the weight this time.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Libby283 wrote: »
    I got a Mirena 6 1/2 years ago and when it was expired, I lost a ton of weight and dropped back to my pre kid weight. I kept it off until I had the expired Mirena replaced. I know it is the hormones in the Mirena causing the weight gain.

Well, I think the suggestions given already are pretty valuable if you put them into practice. However, if you truly believe the Mirena is causing your weight gain, then why not try a different kind of birth control?
  • cnave99
    cnave99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's definitely slower with the hormones. That's simple biology. I have lost 30 pounds. But I have to work twice as hard for every ounce that comes off.

In the long run, I have to use a Mirena. It's the best solution to what ails me. If I didn't need the hormones, I sure would pass on it.

But posting to chip into the other suggestions- it IS possible. Just keep trying.
  • leannehathaway1
    leannehathaway1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I gained 15 lbs of water weight within the first month of having my Mirena. Four months later,after I also I stared getting cycatic acne and stabbing pains in my pelvis, I had it removed. The weight was gone within two weeks. I've never had weight gain issues with the pill (and I've been on 6 different types over the years) so I just went back to that. The weight gain, acne, and pain wasn't worth the convenience.
    I could of written this... except it has taken me a lot longer to lose the weight. Still have a few lbs left to go. The mirena was a nightmare for me.. I felt puffy and bloated and my acne was horrendous. Couldn't get rid of the thing quick enough and glad to be back in control of my body.