Questions re:Training Progress for Distance Running

Options
Hi All.

So at this point I can comfortably run a 5K at ~28 mins. Each event I'm a little bit faster so that's nice. I'm also doing the 5K to 10K trainer from Zen Labs. I have two weeks left and it's going great. I *feel* like I could run 10K already but I'll wait.

I guess my question(s) is -- what's the typical progress rate from say, the 10K to the 13.1, and then on to the marathon? Are there some resources better than Zen Labs for getting there? Is there anything I should keep in mind about these longer distances that don't really apply at 5K? I know for one thing I need better shoes -- I'm working on that.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Progress in what way? Like how many extra miles per week to add?
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Like, what's the typical time needed to go from 10K to 13.1, and then again from half to full marathon? Or is it a dumb question? Is there a tool/program I can use for getting those answers that's really adaptable to my needs and abilities, and is inclusive of things like nutrition and rest patterns? I don't fully trust just a generic app to do much beyond the 10K -- seems like there's so much more to think about.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I used the BUPA begineer training plan to move from 10k to 1/2. I found it really good. Can't help on the Full although I'll keep reading with interest as my sister just signed me up for one!

First things first, get proper\ running shoes and finish your 10k plan.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a "typical progress rate" mostly because some people *never* go on to higher mileage lots of people are perfectly happy to run shorter races.

I ran for years before I ever attempted anything longer than 10 miles and then I wound up doing my first half marathon and marathon in the same year. I've even seen training plans that are designed to prepare beginning runners for a marathon. The general rule of thumb I see thrown about is that you should ideally have a year of consistent running to begin training for a marathon, though I'm not sure what (if any) research this is based on. I think the most important thing is not to raise your mileage too quickly. With the right training plans, I feel someone could safely go from running a 10K to a half and then from a half to a marathon.
  • cforsyth617
    cforsyth617 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have always trained with a clinic at the running store. Usually there is a 16 week program for training for a full or a half. You can get quite a few good programs online.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »

Like, what's the typical time needed to go from 10K to 13.1, and then again from half to full marathon? Or is it a dumb question? Is there a tool/program I can use for getting those answers that's really adaptable to my needs and abilities, and is inclusive of things like nutrition and rest patterns? I don't fully trust just a generic app to do much beyond the 10K -- seems like there's so much more to think about.

Training plan wise, you can go from 0 to half marathon in 12 weeks or 0 to marathon in 12 weeks... real world experience would suggest you up your mileage 10% per week to reduce the chance of injury.

In my experience I went from no running to a 10k in 14 weeks and then did my first half 18 months later, with a knee injury and another 10k in between.

Do you race or are you just wanting to run longer distances?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »

Like, what's the typical time needed to go from 10K to 13.1, and then again from half to full marathon?

In principle most HM and marathon plans are between 10 and 16 weeks long, with the lower end being aimed at experienced runners. So allowing for a couple of weeks recovery you could get there in 34 weeks.

What I'd ask is, what is motivating you to want to go to marathon so quickly? To have a comfortable marathon experience you're talking about a considerable time commitment.

What's your current weekly mileage and what's the mileage breakdown? With a 28 minute 5K it might be worth consolidating at 10K, on a 35-40K week until you've knocked a bit of time off.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Google Hal Higdon and check out his half and marathon training plans (free).
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I'm venturing into longer distances after being a "runner" for years. In my 20ies I cringe at how I used to run. I took 5 years off in my 30ies to have kids and I'd say getting back into running the last 3 years have been much better. I run with more of a plan, I listen to my body, I don't run through injuries or pain anymore.

Anyway, I get a lot of great information and inspiration on Runner's World. I try to read and learn as much as I can. I want to be running into my 60ies and 70ies.

I'd say when you finish your 10k, find a beginner half marathon training plan. As you get into the longer distances you'll have to start experimenting with hydrating and fueling. Some can run a half marathon without doing anything, some need to fuel during. It probably depends on how long it takes you to run. I'm finding around the 60 minute mark I do well with sipping on water for the remainder of my run. I'm still experimenting with fueling before my long runs.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I went from couch to 5k to 10k to 13 miles in about 6 months, but got injured from doing too much too soon and couldn't run for the next 7 months. A year later another overuse injury sidelined me for several more months. I finally got to run my first HM race during my 3rd year of running and my first marathon a year after that.

The conservative voices on Runners World generally used to recommend at least 9 months to a HM and a year, preferably two or more to marathon. The more miles you have run, the better your endurance and the better the race and the training will go. The big thing with marathon training is it takes a lot of time, so it is much better if it's enjoyable. Getting your base to 40+ mpw before you start marathon training will make for a better race experience, and it takes time to get to that point safely. You can do it with less of a base, but your 20 mile runs will be more of a struggle and race day is likely to include a lot of walking.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I went from couch to 5k to 10k to 13 miles in about 6 months, but got injured from doing too much too soon and couldn't run for the next 7 months. A year later another overuse injury sidelined me for several more months. I finally got to run my first HM race during my 3rd year of running and my first marathon a year after that.

The conservative voices on Runners World generally used to recommend at least 9 months to a HM and a year, preferably two or more to marathon. The more miles you have run, the better your endurance and the better the race and the training will go. The big thing with marathon training is it takes a lot of time, so it is much better if it's enjoyable. Getting your base to 40+ mpw before you start marathon training will make for a better race experience, and it takes time to get to that point safely. You can do it with less of a base, but your 20 mile runs will be more of a struggle and race day is likely to include a lot of walking.

This is so similar to my experience! I used a canned program similar to C25K, and went from walking 5 miles to running a 5K in a couple months. After that, I just ran 4 days a week and stretched the distance gradually, and got to a 10K in another month. Then came Christmas and late December vacation, and I ran myself into injury on less than 25 miles per week.

I ran myself into injury trying to get to my first half marathon, two years in a row. After I finally admitted I needed medical help and got a physical therapist, things began to get better. The PT not only fixed the problem I went in for, the stuff she had me do fixed problems that I didn't even know were problems till they went away. One of the PT's recommendations was to enter a group training program for the half marathon.

I did that, and got to that HM two years after I first aimed at it. Then a stress fracture of the metarsals canceled my training for my planned first marathon 5 months later; I ended up just running long runs with marathon runners, and getting to my first marathon 13 months after my first HM. That was also 1 month after my 4th HM.

The thing is, the game changes between a 10K and a half, and it changes again between a half and a full marathon. It was pretty easy to just run and get to the 10K. To get to the HM, I had to learn to run slower so I wouldn't injure myself. To get to the full marathon, I had to learn to run slow for longer and also how to manage fluid, nutrition, and electrolytes better than I needed to for a half marathon. I avoided a ton of classic rookie mistakes by listening to experienced marathon runners chat while I was on long runs; but I still made mistakes.

To date, I've attempted 3 marathons and completed 2 of them. I don't think I really got it right on any of them, and my 4th attempt is next week. There is a lot more to managing a marathon than it seemed there was before I actually got out and ran one.

My best advice for someone who has run a 5K and wants to work up to a marathon is, don't set a timeline. Run your 5K, work up to your 10K, and run that. Meet local runners. Find local runners with similar paces to yours, and talk to the ones who have done longer races. You'll learn more from those conversations than from asking questions online, because you'll learn things that you didn't know you needed to ask about.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    ocrXfitter wrote: »
    Google Hal Higdon and check out his half and marathon training plans (free).

This ^ - he's got many levels from novice to advanced. It'll give you an idea of what you could be at in however many weeks by looking at the training program. He also has a plethora of info on his pages too. Great tool.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've done a number of half marathons and to me, it seems the difference between 10k and a half is not nearly as big as half to full. A lot more training time is involved in a full, both in terms of number of sessions and the time in the long runs sessions. I got to half distance on about 3 runs a week (plus other non run cardio). It's all about the mileage to get there and hydration on long runs and during). I've done half's with my longest long run of 9-11 miles.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I went 5K, 10K, 15K, HM, marathon. I did a few HMs before going to the marathon. There are some free training plans out there from Hal Higdon, and there are a variety of options from beginner to advanced. As others have mentioned, don't ramp up your mileage too quickly. As others mentioned, 10% a week is a great rule of thumb. Doing too much too soon causes injuries and keeps you from running. This makes for unhappy runners since we obviously love to run!! ;)