Easter & diet

Options

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Am I the only person who doesn't like Easter egg chocolate? I'd rather a piece of normal chocolate... Cheaper and tastes better. And available any day of the year!

We don't eat that, I agree that it's not that great.

We do have a nice breakfast and then a family dinner involving lamb and spring veg and other holiday-like touches plus some sweets (I think I'm going to make lemon-lavender cupcakes, although I often do a pie). I'm sure someone will bring something chocolate-y.

If I do Easter Vigil mass on Saturday evening (usually do), they have a party after (it's around 10:30 or 11 pm) with lots of things that people are likely to have given up, but I never really eat a whole lot there, since I'm tired and it's not really usually things I find irresistible (if I drank that would be more of a temptation, but I don't).

Perhaps I'm lucky.... We don't have family to do things with, and I'm rehearsing/playing at mass on Saturday night, as well as a Friday night service so most of my weekend is spent working..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Some ham, potatoes, veg...don't see what the issue is...
  • ana_varn
    ana_varn Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hahahahaha greeks feast especially on Easter and my family is no exception. Plan has it that we will all gather up and there will be a lot of food! I'll try to eat as good as possible, I don't want to end up feeling sleepy for the rest of the day :P
  • FitFedin31
    FitFedin31 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in shock! maybe it's because I have two little boys and they always receive a large amount of sweets from the grandparents, and their uncles. I guess I'm the only one with a sweet tooth here
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    No I'm not, no eggs for me as I have no kids to buy for and usually Sunday roast for dinner at the parents meat, veg
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I plan to cheat, lol
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm not too worried because I don't really like traditional Easter dinner food. I hate eggs and don't like ham. Lol. I am worried about the candy though... I ate several pieces of chocolate today before I even realized I was supposed to be eating better.

We are also going on a little trip the Friday and Saturday before Easter so I'll have to be careful.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nope. Malteaster bunnies are my easter treat of choice and at 156 cals each they easily fit in my calories!
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I never stress over holiday and "diet." It's a small period of time and it doesn't mean I'm eating that way for a month. Now, the candy that can be pilfered from the little ones can last for days. That's more difficult. As for dinner, I'll be eating ham for days, sweet potato casserole and green bean casserole until it disappears. Thankfully now that my son is older the left-overs disappear rather quickly.

Eat what you need and keep working out. Enjoy the time and food with your family.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Nope - I'm a grown up and don't receive Easter Eggs as presents.
    Then again my children are also grown ups and don't receive Easter Eggs as presents. :)

Plus the long weekend is a chance to get more cycling miles in.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit worried over Passover, but I've decided to 1) take my first diet break in nearly 6 months and set my calories to maintenance 2) try to make sure I've got some nutrient-dense options (doing a lot with quinoa) 3) accept that in two weeks, I'll be back on track no matter what.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Am I the only person who doesn't like Easter egg chocolate? I'd rather a piece of normal chocolate... Cheaper and tastes better. And available any day of the year!

We don't eat that, I agree that it's not that great.

We do have a nice breakfast and then a family dinner involving lamb and spring veg and other holiday-like touches plus some sweets (I think I'm going to make lemon-lavender cupcakes, although I often do a pie). I'm sure someone will bring something chocolate-y.

If I do Easter Vigil mass on Saturday evening (usually do), they have a party after (it's around 10:30 or 11 pm) with lots of things that people are likely to have given up, but I never really eat a whole lot there, since I'm tired and it's not really usually things I find irresistible (if I drank that would be more of a temptation, but I don't).

Perhaps I'm lucky.... We don't have family to do things with, and I'm rehearsing/playing at mass on Saturday night, as well as a Friday night service so most of my weekend is spent working..

I love holiday feasts, so consider myself lucky. ;-)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options

I actually forgot about Easter chocolate until I read this!

Yeah, I won't buy any of the eggs or bunnies or anything ... just not my thing. Except for one type of Easter chocolate which I will have to see if I can find ... Cadbury Easter Eggs. I usually have one of those at Easter. However, I went looking for them several weeks ago and couldn't find any so I might not even have one of those.

I also don't do the whole ham meal thing (ick!).
  • Machka9
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Nope - I'm a grown up and don't receive Easter Eggs as presents.
    Then again my children are also grown ups and don't receive Easter Eggs as presents. :)

Plus the long weekend is a chance to get more cycling miles in.

Absolutely!!

My husband and I have a whole weekend of big cycling events on!! And believe me, what eating I do will be all fuel. We've got a whole stack of groceries ready to go for the weekend.

• livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Yeah, I won't buy any of the eggs or bunnies or anything ... just not my thing. Except for one type of Easter chocolate which I will have to see if I can find ... Cadbury Easter Eggs. I usually have one of those at Easter. However, I went looking for them several weeks ago and couldn't find any so I might not even have one of those.

Aren't you in Australia? Cadbury eggs are everywhere! (coles and woolies definitely)

I didn't even know ham was an Easter "thing". The only traditional thing we ever had growing up, on the very few years we weren't camping somewhere, was have amazing hot cross buns made by a family friend on good Fridays!
  • Machka9
    edited April 2017
    Options

Aren't you in Australia? Cadbury eggs are everywhere! (coles and woolies definitely)

I didn't even know ham was an Easter "thing". The only traditional thing we ever had growing up, on the very few years we weren't camping somewhere, was have amazing hot cross buns made by a family friend on good Fridays!

I didn't know ham was an Easter thing either until just recently. I don't recall my family ever having a special Easter meal of any sort. But ham is one of my least favourite meats (and there are a lot of meats I don't like, so it's near the bottom of a long list) ... so I definitely wouldn't be going out of my way to eat it just because it's supposed to be an Easter "thing".

And I've never liked hot cross buns either. I tried them once in my early 20s and really did not like them. Didn't touch them again for 25-ish years. I've worked in my current position for the last 3 years, and they have toasted hot cross buns every Easter for a morning tea. I thought I'd give one a try, and I do have to say that toasted they're a little bit better. But I'm happy with about half of a bun.

And as for the eggs, I've been looking at Coles and Woolies, and they've got every other egg and bunny under the sun, but not the Cadbury Creme Eggs. I've also checked the Reject Shop and Target. No luck.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    No, lots of food variety that I would rather enjoy than stress over. I always plan small weight gains during holidays, having it planned makes it less stressful and I'm much less likely to worry about it. I'm planning to eat enough to enjoy, but not enough to deliberately stuff myself until I can't breathe. A week won't undo a year's progress, and when it's over I'll happily just snap back into dieting mode.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited April 2017
    Options

I didn't know ham was an Easter thing either until just recently. I don't recall my family ever having a special Easter meal of any sort. But ham is one of my least favourite meats (and there are a lot of meats I don't like, so it's near the bottom of a long list) ... so I definitely wouldn't be going out of my way to eat it just because it's supposed to be an Easter "thing".

And I've never liked hot cross buns either. I tried them once in my early 20s and really did not like them. Didn't touch them again for 25-ish years. I've worked in my current position for the last 3 years, and they have toasted hot cross buns every Easter for a morning tea. I thought I'd give one a try, and I do have to say that toasted they're a little bit better. But I'm happy with about half of a bun.

And as for the eggs, I've been looking at Coles and Woolies, and they've got every other egg and bunny under the sun, but not the Cadbury Creme Eggs. I've also checked the Reject Shop and Target. No luck.

Our friends hot cross buns were so good - baked in an outdoor oven, perhaps light rye flour? filled with apricots, dates, fat sultanas, spices... Hot, glazed, and slathered in butter.

And boo on the creme eggs... I've seen heaps, shall I send some? :p
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Not a problem.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Nah not worried about Easter, I started my weight loss journey 4 weeks before Christmas and got through that relatively unscathed, so Easter should be a doddle.