Moment or situation you realised things needed to change

Options

Replies

• katz6910
    katz6910 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My friend took a picture of me and posted it on facebook. I had spent a lot of time managing to avoid cameras (and mirrors) I was totally in denial until that moment she tagged me in THE picture. I was mortified and I cried and cried. I knew I was big, there was no denying that, but I had no idea how bad it had gotten. I thank her almost every time I see her for posting that picture. It's changed my life so so much.

5638134.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I met a girl on the beach wearing the same bikini as me. She looked a lot better though. In my head I just told myself that she was probably taller and smaller busted than me. We ended up in the bathroom together and got to talking after laughing about our suits. Turns out she was only 2 inches taller than me and the same bra size. So I realized that I needed to stop kidding myself and look at the reality. I still have that swimsuit and am determined to pull it off just as well!
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    When I looked at vacation pictures and didn't even recognize myself.

This exactly! I saw some pics of a vacation to the Carolinas, & all I could think when I saw the beach pics was "push it back in!"

Then I realized "it" was me. :sick:

Yes! It wasn't necessarily vacation pictures for me...but pictures nonetheless. I wouldn't recognize myself and wonder who is that overweight dude. Another reason for me was my children. Both my Grandfather and Father died at a early age. I want to be there for my girls.
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    it all changed the day i found out i have high cholesterol, i have 2 months left to have it down or im on tablets. (hell to the no, if i can help it )

so i am cutting out alot of saturated fats and making better food choices...... i thought why stop there?

for the first time in my life i am seriously modivated to change my diet and health.

i now go to the gym 3 times a week, and eat so much better, all for a healthier me :)
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I used to exercise with my best friend but she died suddenly in 2005, in order to deal with the grief, i just threw myself into building my career. Last year, i realised how unhappy and fat i had become, and in truth, I hadn't grieved for the loss of my friend. I started to exercise more, and eat better but i still wasn't really gettoing anywhere. So, with my husbands support (i am the family 'breadwinner') I decided to take a career break to have time to sort out my body and mind, and reconnect with my husband. It worked. I am now happier and healthier than ever, and I have just returned back to work :)
  • imhc93
    imhc93 Posts: 23
    Options
    When I realised I'd avoided pictures for a year.

I was a size 10 until I was nearly 18 yes old. When I ballooned to a size 20. I'm now 20 years old and and have gone down to a size 16 since march hoping to be a 12 by Xmas!

All UK SIZES.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    when I finished cancer treatments and looked in the mirror and this fat/bloated kid was staring back at me....and my mom the day later looking at me and saying "you need to work out more" ...yea, those two things pretty much kicked my *kitten* into gear...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The moment I became over 200 lbs. Even then though, I wasn't quite ready to change. I had 2 low points that lead me here. In November I went to Salt Lake City to visit my sister-in-law's family. We took a small (and I mean small) hike. It was maybe 15 minutes.... and it killed me. The second low point was seeing the scale tipped at 211 (my heaviest). I swore to myself in high school I'd never allow myself to be over 200 and look at me. Was I really going to fail myself like that? It took alot for me to sit down with myself and say, you can't live like this anymore. You need to be healthier. So in June, every year, my in-laws hold a memorial party in honor of my father-in law. All the family and dozens of friends show up to this event. Two weeks before that, I decided that the Monday after the party would be the day I would end it all and begin a new life. June 10th was my starting day. Yesterday I hit my 45 day mark and I refuse to look back. I'm now back under 200, which was huge for me. I still have a looooong way to go, but everyday that passes I know I'm doing the right thing and that this is where I belong... healthier and happier.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It was actually when I asked a girl out. She said no; she needed a hot, fit guy.

Is that seriously what she said? I'm glad that you decided to make changes if it makes you happy but DAYUM....that's not very nice.

I've always been unhappy with my weight and how i looked...oddly enough it wasn't until I was married a year to realize that I need to change my habits not only for looks but more importantly for health. I'm 5'1" there's only so much fat that can be squeezed in. Plus I look at pictures of my husband and I and we look like the number ten. guess what number i was.
  • myfatgenes
    myfatgenes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    On holiday the pool was surrounded by mirrors. Many of the mums round the pool were about 10 years younger than me but also much slimmer. I was embarressed to be in a bikini.

In the past running has kept my weight under control but running is no longer an option for me and my weight had ballooned. Don't feel comfortable in any clothes. As a woman in my mid 40s I don't want to become fat, frumpy and invisible. I want to feel good about myself.
  • daveymac1
    daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I had a stroke.
  • jbalistriere
    jbalistriere Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I needed to buy new clothes for a work event becuase none of mine fit. On top of that, I realized that I had less than a year until I hit the dirty thirty and I heard weight is REALLY hard to get rid of when you hit your 30s. I did not meet my goal of being healthy before that milestone birthday but I'm a heck of a lot closer than when I started. Also, I learned that once I got moving, the motivations kept coming. For example, being a type 1 diabetic I depend on shots for every meal but if I get a good workout in, I might be able to go without one of them (sweet!). I was also able to drop my insulin dose from 15-20 units every meal and 47 at bedtime to 5-7 every meal and 20 at bedtime. I'll never be able to go completely without insulin but I, and my checkbook, am glad to see the reduction. If that wasn't enough, I have so many people come up to me now telling me how great I look, and how they've been inspired by me (me? I inspired someone?... still can't wrap my head around that!). It's great feeling that keeps me going.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    It was actually when I asked a girl out. She said no; she needed a hot, fit guy.

Is that seriously what she said? I'm glad that you decided to make changes if it makes you happy but DAYUM....that's not very nice.

Not the exact wording, but yeah, more or less.
    It implied she saw a defect in the exact area I liked least about myself--my physique. (Which I had also considered not muscular enough, myself, ironically). I actually had been working out for a month or so prior to this incident. I think it was actually something more like, "No thanks. You're not really my type. I usually prefer hot, buff guys".

I was mortified, but I looked her in the eye calmly, said thank you for sharing your point of view, and then walked away like James Bond. I promised myself I would change my physique...but according to my own standards and not someone else's. It's not like I was unattractive physically; at 5'9, 140 lbs, and around 7% bf--somewhat muscular/defined but still thin, I looked more like a runner than a couch potato, lol. Not to mention being told I had nice eyes, nice teeth, handsome smile, etc in the past by others. Also, I have one of the most genuine and honest personalities you'll find.

But the clincher is, I have never felt entirely comfortable in my current body. I want more muscle mass and definition. Not a huge amount, but maybe 25 lbs when all is said and done. A healthy amount! I'm in this for the long haul and for the right reasons! :smile: The other stuff is just vanity.

• missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had just completed the intake paperwork for lap band surgery and was reviewing the risks of the surgery with a nurse over the phone. As she was explaining all the possible things that could go wrong it hit me that I needed to take responsibility for myself and my actions, and I was too scared to proceed with the surgery. That was on October 3, 2012. Here I am. Never looked back.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    when my doctor told me I had consistently high blood pressure, I was pre-diabetic, and my dad had to have heart surgery at age 72 (this is after my uncle died of heart failure at 74). It was a wake-up call for me. Wish it was for my dad too.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I met a girl on the beach wearing the same bikini as me. She looked a lot better though. In my head I just told myself that she was probably taller and smaller busted than me. We ended up in the bathroom together and got to talking after laughing about our suits. Turns out she was only 2 inches taller than me and the same bra size. So I realized that I needed to stop kidding myself and look at the reality. I still have that swimsuit and am determined to pull it off just as well!

Wow, what are the chances of that happening? The same suit! Good for you for turning it into a positive :)
  • Moya6512
    Moya6512 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When I started working at a distribution warehouse for frozen products, they give you a cooler suit to put on...I couldnt fit any of them...I had to borrow a large man's suit until they ordered my own.
    I felt like a freak.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Was going through a very bad time in my marriage. We were threatening each other with divorce in every argument. She said to me, "After I divorce you, I know I can find someone else. Lot's of men are attracted to me. But look at you! Look how fat you are! What woman would want you?

CLICK! That was my moment.

to settle on DIVORCE, i hope.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Some of my friends,relatives & the people i know died because of a bad diet,no exercise,drinking liquor,smoking cigarette and drugs.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Mine was a picture. I knew my weight, and I knew I was fat, but I was kidding myself that I was carrying it well.

Pictures don't lie though. Ugh.