Apple Watch resting/active calories

Options
ijenr0s6qs5i.png
This is a snap shot of a typical active day for me-per my Apple Watch. I've asked the question before about TDEE vs. MFP, but I'm wondering how many of you with Apple Watch are using the info that it provides ?? MFP Gives me a daily goal of 1470, but as you can see with the pic, even if I take a 500 cal deficit, it's still way more.

Any ideas ????

Replies

• panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Since getting my Apple Watch I have been going by that. It typically gives me a total daily burn of 2200-2300 that includes both active and resting calories. It's been working great for me. I try to eat between 1800-2000 calories a day and Ives been losing at a pace I am pleased with for the last few months
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    So the resting energy is a dynamic version of MFP's base burn? Is that BMR? I never really looked at this closely before, and I've had the watch since June. And resting plus active would be TDEE?
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I personally stick with the MFP recommendations, haven't even looked that closely to the Apple Watch's details that you are looking at, I use it mostly for my workouts and determining how much I burn and making sure I hit my goal before leaving the gym. That being said, the Apple Watch is probably more accurate than the MFP guess
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I've had my watch for a year and I'm still confused by this. It's also confusing that the calories shown burned on my watch do not correlate with what shows up as burned on my diary on MFP.
  • imgr8stmom
    imgr8stmom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @panda4153 - based on the numbers above, what would you recommend I set my goal to????
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    imgr8stmom wrote: »
    ijenr0s6qs5i.png
    This is a snap shot of a typical active day for me-per my Apple Watch. I've asked the question before about TDEE vs. MFP, but I'm wondering how many of you with Apple Watch are using the info that it provides ?? MFP Gives me a daily goal of 1470, but as you can see with the pic, even if I take a 500 cal deficit, it's still way more.

Any ideas ????

That number looks kind of wrong unless you are like 7 ft tall female :smiley: I mean my Resting energy is around 2162, as a 6'3" guy. You normally simply add Resting Energy + Active Energy.

For example my Saturday:
    2162 Resting + 1418 Active - 500 deficit = 3080 calories input.

Make sure you have synced MFP and Health app correctly, perhaps try a reinstall.
    _dixiana_ wrote: »
    I've had my watch for a year and I'm still confused by this. It's also confusing that the calories shown burned on my watch do not correlate with what shows up as burned on my diary on MFP.

If you haven't done over 5000 steps as MFP assumes you to do even as a Sedentary person, there is some adjustment. Also active calories and burned ones are different.
  • dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    MFP only syncs the resting calories(BMR) from the IPhone & ignores active calories. It will add your exercise if you use the workout app, but you will mostly get a negative adjustment.
    Go by the watch and just use MFP for logging food.