added strength training

Options
I have recently added strength training 3 days a week to my routine not sure if I'm doing it right seems to be working for now I set the weight for each exercise so that I do 3 sets of 10 with the last 2 or 3 of each set being hard to do then when I no longer have a problem with the last few I increase the weight. I also try to increase my protien by atleast 25% on the days I do strength training. Strength training is pretty new to me so any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You should take a look at some of the time-tested beginner routines. Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength are excellent beginner programs, and they take a lot of the guess work out of rolling your own program.

Make sure you have good form. Have someone watch you from time to time to make sure you're not picking up bad habits.

I would work down to 5-8 reps per set, but I suppose 10 isn't too bad. I wouldn't do 3 sets of heavy deadlifts, but 3 would be okay for most other compound lifts.

Make sure you eat enough, and get enough rest between workouts, or you could over-train.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Starting Strength and Stronglifts. Both are solid programs.
    You might want to book a few sessions with a personal trainer to ensure your lifting forms are perfect. I worship the Goddess of Good Form, because She is a fickle ***** who in the past has sent me to Snap City gulag for the slightest of infractions.