8 weeks until wedding day

Options
Hi all,

I have 8 weeks until my wedding day. I'm wondering if I should start heavy lifting now or wait until the wedding is over. I know some swelling/water retention can occur with new exercise and I don't want to not fit in my dress! Maybe just do arms?

Stats:
5'11''
138lbs

I guess I feel like I should be doing something to improve my body before the wedding, but I know two months isn't much time at all.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    When is your last dress fitting?

I began heavy lifting about 6 months before my wedding. Even in the weeks leading up to it, I was losing fat (which I didn't have much to lose because I was already at a healthy %). It sounds great, but I was constantly crying because my dress was falling off and needed emergency tailoring twice. Even on my wedding day, if my sister hadn't given me extra bra padding, my dress would've slipped right down. You don't want to be in that situation. I would say that start lifting as soon as possible, but be aware of what could happen with the dress. Make sure you have a tailor that can do emergency work if necessary. It may be an extreme example, but I wasn't on a dedicated lifting program or anything and knew that I wasn't adding much muscle at all, so it completely surprised me to have the dress fit so differently in a few months.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Too late now! You should have been thinking about that 8 months out, not 8 weeks out.

Extra dress alterations are just going to add stress. Leave it for now.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    yep and coming from a former alterations shop owner, it is in your best interest to maintain where you are right now. There is nothing worse than having to fit a dress on a bride the week of the wedding because she decided to lose a few pounds AFTER dress fittings. And then --often times do not want to pay for additional work and for that added stress they put upon the alterations person. Trust me... you do not want to mess with an alterations person! :wink:
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Do not do anything different. You DO NOT need to lose any more weight. You are already thin I'm sure at that height and weight. You can't do much with lifting in two months either. My dressing was falling off for my last fitting like a month before my wedding and the seamstress told me to take in the corset she would have to remove my beading and pearls and rhinestones individually...needless to say EXPENSIVE....she told me to stop working out and I did.
  • Makeitso39
    Makeitso39 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    With your stats you are almost at the bottom of your healthy BMI range so you definitely do not need to lose any weight. Lots of brides lose weight as wedding approaches with stress/business anyway. I wouldn't want to mess up the dress fitting. I'm getting married in August, I'm goal weight but would like better arms too.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt do anything.

im getting married later this summer (anywhere from august to november, depending on immigration hang ups) and my dress arrived last week. it fits PERFECT.

im not even attempting to lose. i HAVE more to lose .... but im not putting myself through that stress. ill maintain and if i lose a few pounds, thats fine, but not looking on losing much in the next 6 months.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Trust me. He doesn't care. Just show up in 8 weeks and he'll be happy.
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I guess I'll wait until after the wedding!