Porridge for dinner!

Just back from a weekend helping our son move house. Worked my butt off all weekend. I'm too shattered to shop or cook and can't face another takeout meal so,for dinner tonight I'm having porridge,a protein shake,a yoghurt and some chocolate. In my head I know it's a perfectly adequate meal but I can hear my mum's voice at the back of my mind telling me to eat a proper meal.
Thank god for mfp and logging which tells me it's OK!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    I've done similar, many times. However, I end up making all of my stuff into one giant thing. Oats and a couple of eggs cooked together, put in the freezer long enough to cool a bit, strawberry protein powder and yogurt mixed in, some berries, then back in the freezer for an hour or so.
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Porridge with melted peanut butter.... MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    For some reason I can't get my head around eggs and oatmeal but I really should try it. And yes,definitely peanut butter! <3
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    For some reason I can't get my head around eggs and oatmeal but I really should try it. And yes,definitely peanut butter! <3

Think of it as rice. You'd cook rice with eggs, right?
  • comptonelizabeth
    Yeah that's true. I love rice with egg and nearly had that instead but it meant pans and cooking!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I also find the concept of porridge and eggs odd. But I too had porridge for dinner! I'd eaten heavier earlier in the day and wasn't overly hungry so it was just the easiest solution really.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Sometimes it just hits the spot!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Yeah that's true. I love rice with egg and nearly had that instead but it meant pans and cooking!

If you decide to try it there are some great "savory oatmeal" recipes. The last one I had was with an egg, some mushrooms, and some spinach, topped with chipotle tabasco. YUM.
  • comptonelizabeth

If you decide to try it there are some great "savory oatmeal" recipes. The last one I had was with an egg, some mushrooms, and some spinach, topped with chipotle tabasco. YUM.

I will definitely Google this. I love oatmeal and could happily live on it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

I will definitely Google this. I love oatmeal and could happily live on it.

It's pretty yummy, and discovering the savory approach opened up a WHOLE new world of oats!
  • comptonelizabeth
    Ps,you do mean cooked egg,right ? Not raw? (Bleurgh)
  • Sabine_Stroehm

smiles. Yes. What I usually do is cook the porridge, then plop a raw egg on it, and cook it a bit more. Or, if it's left over porridge, I reheat it with the raw egg on it. I like it sorta "runny".
    My hubs scrambles it into the oats. Like stir fried rice.
    OH! Scallions! Scallions are amazing on oats!
  • comptonelizabeth
    Scallions like spring onions?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Scallions like spring onions?
    Yup. Scallions and an egg and something salty or spicy. YUM.
  • comptonelizabeth
    It does sound yum. Thanks for the tips :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    "brinner" (breakfast for dinner) is amazing and perfectly acceptable :smiley:

Eggs and oats though.... I tried so many times to like that, and i still find it revolting and literally gag-worthy. Whizz it all together with some protein powder to make a pancake though,that I can definitely do!
  • Sabine_Stroehm

Eggs and oats though.... I tried so many times to like that, and i still find it revolting and literally gag-worthy. Whizz it all together with some protein powder to make a pancake though,that I can definitely do!
    And that would make me gag. :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member

You don't like pancakes? :o
  • Sabine_Stroehm

You don't like pancakes? :o

I love pancakes.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

smiles. Yes. What I usually do is cook the porridge, then plop a raw egg on it, and cook it a bit more. Or, if it's left over porridge, I reheat it with the raw egg on it. I like it sorta "runny".
    My hubs scrambles it into the oats. Like stir fried rice.
    OH! Scallions! Scallions are amazing on oats!

This is kind of what I do, though I beat the egg first, then completely mix it into the oats, then resume cooking. Basically, it just makes the whole mixture more dense and creamy.