Eating out vs. buying groceries

Options
124»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The chicken will taste different depending on what kind you get and how your store handled it. Most pre-packaged chicken is injected with flavored water, you'll see the percentage on the label. Also it is usually frozen before it gets to the store and the store thaws it and sells it to you. So when you buy that in your store and then refreeze it, the taste (and texture) reflects it being frozen and thawed and refrozen. Finding chicken that hasn't been injected helps a lot with freezing it again, as does trying to make sure it's not be frozen already once before (much harder, no label to go by and the kids at the grocery store may not know).

If you think the issue is freezing and unfreezing and freezing again, you could also just buy it frozen.

True, the store has breasts already frozen, though for me I actually drive a few times a year to a local smoke house that does all their own butchering and I know what's in the meat and poultry I get, I have the space to store it in the freezer (plus it's a nice road trip for the day).

I wasn't advising you, as you weren't expressing that you had a difficulty. (As I mentioned, I think the "unfrozen tastes weird" thing is, well, questionable, because I get chicken frozen from a local farm and it's fine, doesn't taste different than unfrozen to me once I thaw it. I also think the "fresh" chicken most buy has been frozen, so I don't think this idea that it just tastes different if frozen bears up.)

However, I hadn't thought about the idea that freezing previously frozen chicken was the issue. I am skeptical, but you could solve that issue by buying frozen chicken, which is probably cheaper too (people usually pay more for convenience and frozen would be perceived as less convenient -- at least that's what I see with fish, which also is normally frozen and then thawed).

Hope OP comes back.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I go to the store probably 2-3 times a week because I only buy food for the next 2 or 3 days. And it's so much less expensive than eating out!!

I also am best friends with my butcher. I only buy (I'm single btw no kids) 1 or 2 pieces of meat at a time and never buy the frozen stuff since I just can't eat chicken 4 times a week and those packages have too many pieces for me. And I'll also buy veggies that don't go bad quickly like brussel sprouts and asaparagus/spinach, carrots. Works for me!

I hear ya! I went shopping for chicken. If I want to buy 2 breasts it cost $7. It cost $11 for about 6 breasts. I'm trying to wrestle with the idea of paying a lot for a little or a little for a lot..and have waste. We don't want chicken breasts 3 times in however few days chicken lasts in the fridge. I can't stand frozen chicken, so saving it is crossing the line I draw in my own sand. lol

I use frozen chicken all the time. How are you preparing it? It's easy to ruin chicken breast, fresh or frozen.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    The chicken will taste different depending on what kind you get and how your store handled it. Most pre-packaged chicken is injected with flavored water, you'll see the percentage on the label. Also it is usually frozen before it gets to the store and the store thaws it and sells it to you. So when you buy that in your store and then refreeze it, the taste (and texture) reflects it being frozen and thawed and refrozen. Finding chicken that hasn't been injected helps a lot with freezing it again, as does trying to make sure it's not be frozen already once before (much harder, no label to go by and the kids at the grocery store may not know).

While I am sure it does, the chicken that I buy and freeze and thaw and cook, tastes every bit as good as any I have had. I am careful to not overcook it!
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    Can't help with the eating out issue, but when you buy fresh fruits and veggies why not just buy less? My 2 yr old is the only one that really eats bananas in our house. He eats half a banana a day pretty much, so when I went to the grocery store I bought 2 bananas that will last a few days. Nothing goes to waste.

To be honest, sometimes I buy a lot and have all this stuff I'm preparing to eat for the week. I get bored pretty quick and don't end up eating it all. Sometimes a head of lettuce is too much. When I stick to my plan it works, but using all the veggies gets expensive even if there is no waste. I will end up spending sometimes upward of $150 a week for 2 people. Stuff just adds up. It doesn't help that we have different tastes and end up eating different items.

edit: the $150/week is for all groceries. :wink:

My husband and I eat different meals and we spend 150-160$ a week on food and I eat all of it! BUT, so does eating out all the time. I pick and choose my battles. I'd rather spend the money and make the food myself.
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    munkel1 wrote: »
    How close do you live to a grocery store? I like to buy daily or plan my meals for 3 days and only buy what I needs for that. I've figured out how to eat at home for only about $50 a week from doing this. Just takes a little planning.

I live ~5 miles (8 km) from the store. I guess I could start asking for better ideas for eating at home? I spent $50 just for our breakfast items for the week. :(

Im going to message you.
  • fifthnail
    fifthnail Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A lot of the larger grocery store chains have salad bars. You could just grab one on the way home.

I have gotten those package salads from Walmart before. I think they are $4 or so. I wish they were bigger, but it probably is a cheaper option than buying stuff to make salads. Plus they are portioned out. Thanks for the idea.. well, you said "salad bar" but you made me think of this. Only salad bar near me is crazy expensive. Making a salad there would be in the $15 range.

Dude I got the same terrible habits of over spending with good intentions, but the reality or something throws me off during the week. My biggest issue it time. I have about a solid 1-2 hours per work week to make food for 3 people.

Consider the cost of throwing good food away versus the good cost of getting healthy expensive food you KNOW you will eat!
  • mariameats
    mariameats Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    you could make soup with any veggies that you think are going bad soon. it changes the flavor in my opinion.
    Otherwise, sometimes I just go to a salad place in my neighborhood that is expensive but eat half of it for lunch and the other half for dinner.

Chipotle isnt horrible either and you can calculate your calories easily online for it. I sometimes get a bowl or burrito and do the same- half for lunch, half for dinner.

I have heard the Wendys chilli and baked potato is pretty solid as well. Also have heard the "fresca" line at taco bell is much lower in calories.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Try planning and just buy what you need. Ex: chicken breast/broccoli/beans; beef/asparagus/sweet potato; salmon/green beans/brown rice.

Rather than buy random things and putting them together, plan and shop for entire meals in advance.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Maybe consider adding a cooler or freezer to the RV?

Also, in your case I definitely recommend hitting up YouTube and some of the van/truck life blogs, there are some people with some aweome healthy budget eating and storage solutions.

I'm also in the I only spend $25 a week at the grocery store. I meal plan lunch and dinner, 4 days typically, leaving room for one dinner out and one lunch out. I eat mcds every day for breakfast, $2.34. That means my food budget is $50/week. I just did a massive overhaul to get these numbers and it cut my food budget from $400-500/month to $250 (incl. some buffer).

Every meal plan has a base, grain, potato or pasta then add meat, veggie and sauce/salsa/dressing.

I buy in season because it's cheaper but those foods also last longer and taste better. Like others I hit the store twice a week sometimes.

For veggies cook then store, things usually last longer that way. There is also a whole science to how to store foods. I lived with a produce worker years ago and learned a lot but Google will answer most those questions. I think storing each item separately (don't put it together before storing) also makes for better food.

And don't forget to coupon, digital is easy peasy.

Wendy's, Panera's pick two deal, Subway (don't let them up sell you) are good deals. Generally I find Jasons deli and Chipotle cost prohibitive but do squeeze them in. Consider foreign fare too, we have great Banh Mi's around here for $4 and taco trucks are often a steal. Others tell me Sprouts salad bar has less selection but is less expensive (per ounce?) than Whole foods.

My kitchen is 6x10 and I have a small (full size) fridge. The freezer is dedicated to mostly liquor :) and I also a roommate so I have a bit more room than you but not a ton.
  • mariameats
    mariameats Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    also wanted to add, I also enjoy the prepackaged sushi at grocery stores. They are not really cheap but for under $10 it doesn't kill my nutrition or calorie bank for the day. Just wanted to add another suggestion in case it helps you!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    old veggies should go in a pot of soup before they go bad, then you can freeze the soup for leftovers.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    old veggies should go in a pot of soup before they go bad, then you can freeze the soup for leftovers.
    Or get animals you can feed them to and let them turn it into protein for you, eggs or meat.

Today my birds got my refrigerator clean out. Makes good eggs.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Pretty sure they can not freeze chicken and sell it to you without informing you first as you are never meant to refreeze meat that has been left at room temperature.
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Try freezing your veggies before they go bad and take them out and eat them as a steam side veggie or use them in stir frys, i found i SAVED money doing groceries instead of eating out. 20$ for one meal when you could stretch that to two meals.
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Or just buy little bit of groceries at a time go a few times aweek
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I eat at restaurants some. I peruse the menu for a vegetable or two. Then I look for a lean healthy protein. Lastly, I look for a whole grain. Last week I ate a bunless veggie burger, hummus, and steamed broccoli. The week before I had 2 veggie kabobs over 1/2 quinoa salad. I remember a roasted chicken breast, plain whole grain noodles, and asparagus. I show my palm to the bread basket and laugh at the absurdity of desserts. You forgot the 3rd option: growing your own vegetables. It's not as hard or time consuming as you might think.