Pigged out, need help.

Options
RemoteOutpost
RemoteOutpost Posts: 44 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So after 7 days of eating within my allotment I had a moment yesterday and ate a metric ton of pizza and mozzarella sticks that I then washed down with Pepsi. I'm back on track today and doing well but I had a killer workout and burned 800 calories according to my HRM. Now people have different opinions about the accuracy of HRMs and I don't need any advice in that regard however I do need some advice as to whether or not I should eat back those exercise calories today or skip that because of my wanton behavior yesterday. Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't.

I would think about my eating patterns during the week though - too restrictive, perhaps, in regards to calories or food choices?

Was it normal Pepsi or diet/Pepsi max? I don't see the point in drinking calories, so would go the no/low calorie version every time.

• crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'd skip it. But one binge day won't do too much damage in the long haul. Just keep to your calorie goal from now on.
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track immediately. Don't overwork yourself in your workout and don't undereat today.
  • mudonthetires856
    mudonthetires856 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You should do whatever works for you. One day won't undo the entire process. In the beginning it's a learning experience. Some find that by working out extra hard or restricting their calories further the next couple days, they are good. However, others may feel it's an excuse to binge more often and it leads to a vicious cycle of binging, guilt and punishment.

Personally, I would just get back on track the next day. I need bad days on occasion so I don't go crazy. Moderation is key.
  • RemoteOutpost
    RemoteOutpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So tempted to go grab some Taco Bell that fits my calories... I think I'm gonna try to leave those exercise calories alone today. I'm not feeling crazy hungry like I usually do.
  • geekmob
    geekmob Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I want you to understand something. You can have a cheat meal 1 or 2 times a week but what I want you to know is if whatever you ate exceeds 3000 4000 calories, sadly it will affect your progress. It does not matter if you ate them from broccoli or pizza because (a calorie is a calorie). If I were you I would be aware of all the "hidden calories"
    Never eat empty calories.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling "crazy hungry" you might want to look at your calorie goal. You should not be starving yourself.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    don't eat back those calories. I wouldn't. And don't beat yourself up over slipping. WE all do it every once in a while.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I would have a small snack maybe use 250 of those 800 earned calories for something you want and leave the rest to offset your big meal yesterday. That's what I typically do if I feel like I'm starving. However I've found that when I eat a really big meal that's like 1200+ calories, then my cravings skyrocket for the next several meals/even days. I think that's why people get stuck over eating and then trying to eat under eat to compensate. But I think leaving some of the exercise calories alone will reduce the damage from yesterday and help you get back on track with your normal eating pattern and not start a new habit of overeat, over exercise, over eat again because... cravings.

Good luck!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I went way overboard yesterday too. I was eating too low during the week and it will get you every time. I'm taking steps THIS WEEK (and today) to eat as close to my goal without going under by less than 50 cals so that I'm not dying of starvation when I'm bored at home on a Saturday and eat the house. Move on, move forward. Make a better plan.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry? Yes = eat (sensibly). No/not really = don't.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Log it.

I think a big reason we see so many posts of "I am eating 1,200 calories a day and not losing weight...why???" is because they binge and don't log it, and their binge is destroying their deficit.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty and don't punish yourself for pigging out. Start that and it might become a bad habit... Just log it, acknowledge it and move on.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Log the bad stuff, eat some of your exercise calories back if you are hungry (don't if you're not) and carry on. If you are hungry and don't eat them back you could end up in a bit of a cycle.
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Log it... and move on.
  • NYtp5031
    NYtp5031 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Remain focused on your goal and continue to log everything ESPECIALLY guilt food.
    Keep on going forward & remain positive!