I'm starting my journey tomorrow

Options
2»

Replies

• fitzmonkey13
    fitzmonkey13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Don't try to change everything at once!

If you are serious about making changes for life, focus on incremental change... Posters above have suggested tracking how you eat/drink now for a short period to get some data, and that is a good idea.

When you look at that data, you'll see areas you can change, like swapping out a high-calorie snack for a piece of fruit or some air-popped corn... or changing out the cream in your coffee for milk. If you can make a change and keep going with that until it's routine and normal for you, then add another one.

Someone above said don't eat food you don't like. My caveat to that is, keep trying different foods. Once you start making changes to your eating habits, your tastes may change and you might find that you actually like something you used to hate.

Be strong, and focus on the long term!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Stupid question but I am new to all this healthier ways. Do I just cut up the fruit n put it in my water?

You can cut it up and throw it in there, or you could squeeze some juice out of the fruit or you can also get one of the infusion bottles (they're available pretty cheap from amazon) that have a little inner basket to stop you getting floaty bits of fruit in the water.

Some of my personal favourites are Lemon & Lime, Mint & Cucumber and Orange & Raspberry.
  • plumppork
    plumppork Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My advice would be; Start now cause tomorrow never comes. Clean any junk food out of your house because if your anything like me its way too tempting. Don't buy it and you can't eat it. Measure yourself. Open your diary so it keeps you more accountable but even if you slip record it and move on. I started to weigh on Mondays instead of Fridays and it mentally helps to not go crazy on the weekend. I have started to learn if I eat healthy but reasonably low calories breakfast and lunches it makes it a lot easier to have regular full dinners. The recording seems overwhelming at first but you'll get the hang of it! Way to go!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cschof18 wrote: »
    I am starting my journey from 325 to 180 tomorrow. Any tips to keep me sane and motivated. Excited and terrified at the same time. Really don't want to fail again. Thanks everyone!

Why are you terrified? (Not being a pain, it's probably worth thinking through the associated emotions.)

I lost 95 lbs in 2014 (into 2015). My best advice:

It's a process, don't think of it as being on or off. You won't be perfect, no one is, and it's not realistic.

Have a plan.

If you don't stick to the plan one day, don't beat yourself up. Instead, think through what happened and make adjustments. It's an opportunity to learn, not a screw up.

With the plan, don't think you will do everything at once. Have realistic goals and stages. For me it was helpful to make goals for the week, month, 3 months, 6 months, and a year (but I'm a planning kind of person). I would have a focus for the week -- log consistently, maybe. Then look at the logs, see what you could improve on, and then make that a goal for the next week. When you get something down, stay consistent and move to something else.

Think through carefully how you gained weight -- it can help to log what you were eating or if it's something like bingeing or emotional eating, understand that. For me it was a combination of careless eating and emotional eating, and being too sedentary (after having been quite active in the past), but I had other strengths, like being pretty comfortable with cooking and planning meals. If the latter are new to you, start gradually and work up.

I approached getting active again gradually too, without being too hard on myself and burning out. I knew I had specific longterm goals (half marathon, century ride), but started just by walking everywhere I could and going to the gym 3x a week for 30 minutes. Then as I got used to it and was enjoying it, I did more, and added in goals to try new things and stuff like that.

If you have specific questions, ask them.

Focus on the things you can control. You can't control (week to week) the amount you lose. You can stick to calories and log well and get to the gym (or whatever you choose to do).

You can do this!
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I like volume when I eat so for me what helps is finding foods I can eat a lot of for not a ton of calories. I love to slice apples really thin and dip in light n fit yogurt, I like to slice cucumber or carrots and dip in light Italian or light ranch, I like special k cracker chips for a salty crunchy food (28 chips for 120 cals!), 50 calorie bread for sandwiches or toast, for a sweet treat at night I found mini ice cream cones for 140cals or I love frozen dark sweet cherries and you get 140g for 90 cals..they are sweet and it takes awhile to eat the because they're frozen:)
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    plumppork wrote: »
    My advice would be; Start now cause tomorrow never comes.

START NOW.
  • plumppork
    plumppork Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am starting my journey from 325 to 180 tomorrow. Any tips to keep me sane and motivated. Excited and terrified at the same time. Really don't want to fail again. Thanks everyone!
    did you start today???

• ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options

START NOW.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

START NOW.

She wrote it yesterday, so probably has.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    How did the start go?? Remember this won't happen overnight and don't let yourself feel overwhelmed by focusing too much on the big picture. Do what you know you need to do today to start.
  • marib67
    marib67 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Definitely record everything, even if you don't want to. I'm only 5'3 and currently 318. It's been a long process but I feel so much better when I make good choices. I have a quote on my wall at work that I look at all the time.
    "Your body keep an accurate journal regardless of what you write down." That keeps me honest, even when I don't want to be.

Slow and steady and throw in a little more movement when you feel ready. Don't overwhelm yourself to start everything all at once.

You can do this!
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm on the exact same journey. I recommitted at the same weight and my goal weight is the same. My best advice, forget the scale. Don't obsess over the numbers. Hop on once in a while to check progress but otherwise forge forward without the numbers.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! So much support is amazing! Today went great :):) I can do this!!!
    Good luck!