Question for entering recipe's & the results for calorie count.

Options
monkeygirl08
monkeygirl08 Posts: 2,109 Member
Hello all!

I just bought a kitchen scale (love it so far!!). So to really try it out, I made homemade noodles from scratch, an old family recipe. I've put the recipe in here months ago but 'guessed' on how many servings it makes which was 10. So today I officially scaled it & measured exactly how many cups it made which was 13 so I edited my serving size from 10 to 13. How do I know for sure if the measurements are right? I mean, it says it's 137 calories per serving/cup and that just doesn't seem right to me? Do you guys think it's accurate? I know homemade noodles are healthier, or so I've heard but it just doesn't seem right compared to other noodles. I need some help!! hahah. Answers are appriciated!

Recipe includes:
2.5 cups all purpose flour
3 large eggs
16 oz of boneless, skinless chicken
16oz shredded carrots
1 onion
celery
salt, pepper, season all, & baking powder

Also, I've been on here for 100 days & have lost 20 pounds. I would love to have more friends for encouragement so please feel free to add me :smiley:

~Heather

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I never heard of homemade noodles including chicken, carrots, onion, and celery. Would be interested int hat noodle recipe.

As for your recipe servings ... how did you come up with 13? Did you use a tablespoon, a cup, or the kitchen scale?

For myself, when I make a recipe, I weigh the finished dish and divide it by ounces. That way, one ounce is a 'serving' and when I weight it out to eat it, I go by the ounces it weighs instead of the volume it takes up.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    When I make homemade stuff with the recipe builder, I usually weigh the total amount of food and divide by how many servings I want. Let's say you finished your pasta and the total weight for the entire thing was 1,300g. You want 13 servings out of this batch.1,300g ÷ 13 = 100g per serving. So, anytime you want a serving, just measure 100g on your scale and you're good to go. It's a little less tedious than measuring out 1 cup of food 13 times. Deciding how many servings you want beforehand makes it easier. You can always change it later if you found out that you under or over estimated how many servings you though the recipe would make. You can use ounces if you prefer, but I think grams are more precise. Whatever works for you. : )

I quickly added the ingredients you had listed into my recipe builder and came up with 173 calories per serving. I just added generalized ingredients, so yours may be more exact than what I put in.
    MrsxtzU.png
  • monkeygirl08
    Options
    When I make homemade stuff with the recipe builder, I usually weigh the total amount of food and divide by how many servings I want. Let's say you finished your pasta and the total weight for the entire thing was 1,300g. You want 13 servings out of this batch.1,300g ÷ 13 = 100g per serving. So, anytime you want a serving, just measure 100g on your scale and you're good to go. It's a little less tedious than measuring out 1 cup of food 13 times. Deciding how many servings you want beforehand makes it easier. You can always change it later if you found out that you under or over estimated how many servings you though the recipe would make. You can use ounces if you prefer, but I think grams are more precise. Whatever works for you. : )

I quickly added the ingredients you had listed into my recipe builder and came up with 173 calories per serving. I just added generalized ingredients, so yours may be more exact than what I put in.
    MrsxtzU.png

Thank you! This makes me feel a little better about the calorie count of my recipe since it's close.
  • monkeygirl08
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    I never heard of homemade noodles including chicken, carrots, onion, and celery. Would be interested int hat noodle recipe.

As for your recipe servings ... how did you come up with 13? Did you use a tablespoon, a cup, or the kitchen scale?

For myself, when I make a recipe, I weigh the finished dish and divide it by ounces. That way, one ounce is a 'serving' and when I weight it out to eat it, I go by the ounces it weighs instead of the volume it takes up.

Its my grandma's recipe, it's what she called it so it always stuck. In a way, it's like a soup, but a lot thicker. Not runny at all.
    Since I measure it out in a cup when I eat it, I thought it best to measure the whole batch using the cup. It filled 13 cups up (the scale said it was 7 pounds) so thats how I figured the serving size: 1 cup= 1 serving. It just seems like the calorie is low for a cup. I was expecting it to be higher.
    I may have to try your way though, and see if it comes out differently.
    Thank you!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Weigh each raw ingredient and add it to the recipe builder. When you're done cooking, weigh the final meal (subtract the weight of the dish) and set that number as the servings.
    So if your final dish was 1500g, you can log 200 servings if you eat 200g one day, or 250 servings if you eat 250g the next day.