Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

PCOS lifestyle interventions

Options
2»

Replies

• daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Sorry daneejlea, I've not looked down that train of thought. Oestrogen dominance is something I've come across, I think it is a question of not eliminating it. There are so many things which we are told are good for us including the contraceptive pill which stops the body being able to make its own cycles and imposes a synthetic one on any one who takes it. The female body is more complicated than the male one, many may choose not to have children but they are still living with the kit to produce them.

You could well be onto something with the historic protein levels. It is said women would forego better food, protein and things for the males who were the providers and their ability to provide was seen as more important. Though this would possibly fall down when agriculture is taken into consideration, women worked hard round the home. Lack of nutrition could have led to the historic mortality rates, and the rates child bed fever, not that this is a thing of the past. It can hit now, thankfully not often, and the only saving grace are the antibiotics.

Agree totally on the contraceptive pill. I have been taking it at the age 17-22 and since then I decided to not go with it anymore. From that time I am constantly reading and searching for a cure, which mostly feels like a searching for a holy grail :D
    I might be wrong, but I strongly believe that it's an environmental thing much more then genetical, since there is so much more of women with pcos symptoms nowadays.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    daneejela wrote: »
    Yesterday I came across an interesting reading claiming that flaxseed consumption can lower the level of androgens. There has been a study on a single case (a women age 31) reporting significant reduction of androgen levels during 4 months of flaxseed consumption.
    Obviously, studied group is very limited (1 person), but as usually, I feel encouraged to try it.

There is stuff on spearmint tea too.
  • Lgcoulter33
    Lgcoulter33 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I was diagnosed with pcos back in 2006. What I have learned is that even though it isn't curable it can be put into remission. Mine was in remission for almost five years and I was able to lose 120 pounds. However, my obgyn decided to put me on depo for birth control. It triggered the pcos again and I've been off it for almost a year. In that time I have gained back almost all the weight I had lost. So I did some research and discovered that gastric sleeve surgery, specifically gastric sleeve, can put it into remission again. I am on the first month of a managed weight loss plan to qualify for the surgery and right now I'm on adipex for the next few weeks. It's not just about putting it into remission though, it's also about changing my lifestyle and becoming healthy again.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hi I was diagnosed by ultrasound at the beginning of the year, I probably have had it much longer but I believe the combined pill I was on was masking it and only discovered I had it when exploring reasons I was gaining weight so easily and my acne came back so bad at age 34 when I came off it (plus a couple of other symptoms). I'm now firmly in the "healthy" BMI range (22.7) and my periods have become a little more regular at 5 weeks apart (although light) but I was wondering if any acne sufferers got any breaks? I've been on roaccutane, antibiotics and topical creams but nothing has worked (or has made it worse) apart from the combined pill which I can't take anymore. Currently I take vitamins D3, K2 and zinc but still not much change, I also don't count carbs only calories. xxx Would love to hear if anyone has any advice?
  • Lgcoulter33
    Options
    Hi I was diagnosed by ultrasound at the beginning of the year, I probably have had it much longer but I believe the combined pill I was on was masking it and only discovered I had it when exploring reasons I was gaining weight so easily and my acne came back so bad at age 34 when I came off it (plus a couple of other symptoms). I'm now firmly in the "healthy" BMI range (22.7) and my periods have become a little more regular at 5 weeks apart (although light) but I was wondering if any acne sufferers got any breaks? I've been on roaccutane, antibiotics and topical creams but nothing has worked (or has made it worse) apart from the combined pill which I can't take anymore. Currently I take vitamins D3, K2 and zinc but still not much change, I also don't count carbs only calories. xxx Would love to hear if anyone has any advice?

The only thing that has stopped that is my birth control pill, and it still isn't gone all the way. I can only take the very very low dose though, as the higher dosage makes me bleed for weeks on end.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

The only thing that has stopped that is my birth control pill, and it still isn't gone all the way. I can only take the very very low dose though, as the higher dosage makes me bleed for weeks on end.

Yeah same (although I can't remember the dose but it made everything run like clockwork), I still got break outs on the pill but a manageable amount and my chest and back totally cleared for the most part, now I've been off it for 19 months and it's back (although moderate rather than severe) I'm not allowed back on it because of my age and a couple of warning signs like migraines (also there's a few studies come out recently about how potentially dangerous the combined pill is, I was on Yasmin) I really was hoping that this particular symptom would sod off, and some people got it under control. lol ;)
  • Lgcoulter33
    Options

Yeah same (although I can't remember the dose but it made everything run like clockwork), I still got break outs on the pill but a manageable amount and my chest and back totally cleared for the most part, now I've been off it for 19 months and it's back (although moderate rather than severe) I'm not allowed back on it because of my age and a couple of warning signs like migraines (also there's a few studies come out recently about how potentially dangerous the combined pill is, I was on Yasmin) I really was hoping that this particular symptom would sod off, and some people got it under control. lol ;)

I was on yasmin for a while but had to be switched because I bled for 3 months straight on it. I was switched to aviane and it worked wonders and then my stupid ob said depo would be better for me and put me on that. All it did was undo all the hard work i had done. I had my primary care doctor put me on the pill a few months ago. He gave me mononessa which is a off brand of yasmin and I went back almost 3 months ago because I had my period for 23 days straight. So he switched me to lutera which I'm doing great on, except for the fact that I had to take uti meds for 10 days and it rendered it useless so now I'm on my period again for the second time this month. That sucks lol. But I'll be starting a new pack soon and I'll finally hopefully be back to the every 28 day for a day thing lol
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My doc recommended to take the pill without a break to help stabilize the hormones. Maybe you can check if this could work for you too.