Which kind of milk should I drink for weight loss?

Options
Which kind of milk should I drink for weight loss? Whole, 1%, 2%, Almond, Cashew, or Skim Milk?

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Drink whichever you like that fits into your calorie goal.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Whichever you like and can fit within your calorie budget. I strongly prefer whole milk and if I can't afford the calories one day, I just don't have any milk that day.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Whichever one tastes the best to you and fits into your calorie goals. Generally speaking, weight loss is affected by the total overall amount of calories you consume, not about specific types of foods.
  • Flaming25
    Flaming25 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Like before, drink whichever you prefer to stay within calorie allowance. I use Almond Milk in coffee and porridge as it adds a certain something, but this is my preference and allows for extra calories in other meals.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    No specific milk will make you lose weight - pick the one that bests suits your taste and calorie goal. I use skim as I only use it to make froth for coffee and skim froths the best!
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Drink what you like and what fits into your calorie goal. Personally, I drink skim milk because I like to use those calories elsewhere.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    whichever fits your calories and macros
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I use whole milk to make kefir, and high protein whole milk to make yogurt. I drink water if I want water, and I eat and drink food if I want food.

And I use vanilla unsweetened almond milk for my vegan chocolate protein shake because taste.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I like a bit of whole milk just cuz it seems to keep me full longer but I also use almond, coconut, cashew,etc
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    We love Fairlife whole milk. My fiance is lactose intolerant and I don't enjoy plant milks in my coffee or when cooking, so we used to have 47 kinds of milk/faux milk in the fridge. Fairlife is finely filtered cows' milk, so it tastes and cooks like I expect but it's nearly lactose free so he can enjoy it too. Bonus - extra protein and reduced sugar vs normal whole milk.
    The chocolate Fairlife is a dessert unto itself - a small glass of that is a very tasty but relatively light way to end an active day.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking skim since as long as I remember. I just prefer the taste. Couple of things it isn't good for I find are for making tomato soup from the can. Just doesn't look right when done, but I use it anyway. My wife has lactose issues so she has 3 different types of non-milk in the fridge, but I go through a 4 litre of skim in about a week and a half.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I'm mildly lactose intolerance so i go for almond. Pick the one that you like fits your calories and doesn't give you massive sore stomach
  • BlueberryJoghurt
    BlueberryJoghurt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I really like the nutty taste with my coffee so Im going for almond milk, which also helps a ton by not having a lot of calories and I can have a coffee without feeling too bad!

But truly, what fits you best! (my mum for example just cannot stand almond so shes just using low fat)
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I use whole in my coffee and skim in my cereal, just a personal preference.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I tried almond milk, but it's so hard to find their utters. I buy good ol' whole milk.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegan? (Presumably not, or this would not be the same question.)

Are you lactose intolerant?

What do you like?

How much do you drink?

Do you struggle to hit protein or, on the contrary, do you tend to eat lower fat than you need?

Do you struggle to hit calories and don't have a strong preference/haven't tried lower cal alternatives?

Do you watch sat fat?

Does fat tend to fill you up (i.e., for the same calories, would you be more or less full with full fat milk)?

The answers to these kinds of questions will decide. There is no particular milk that is better.

For me, milk (of any sort) doesn't really fill me up, and I don't mind it but don't love it, so I don't drink it. I add it to smoothies or oats sometimes, and for that I like homemade cashew milk, as I think it tastes really good and it has some fat which those tend to be low on for me (it is not low cal, unlike the storebought nut milk that is mostly just flavored water). For yogurt and cottage cheese I like 2% or 1%, sometimes skim, because I find them more helpful for getting protein and more filling for the calories than full fat and I like them as well or better. For cheese I pick dairy (of course) and full fat, and focus much more on taste than nutritional profile (with the exception that feta is quite low cal for the amount that is needed, and tastes good on a salad or in an omelet).
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Dairy milk gives me drainage and has a little higher cals. I've found that I really like unsweetened cashew milk. It's 25 cals per cup and is creamier than other non-dairy mills that I've tried:)
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    When I drink milk (which isn't a frequent occurrence), it's bovine, and it's skim (I get plenty enough fat in my diet already).

Cashew/almond water (referring to it as "milk" is merely a marketing ploy) repulses me -- plus, it has virtually no protein (except for trace amounts that made it into that abhorrent concoction).

Of course, you can drink whatever you'd like (including liquor) and still lose weight.

Best of luck!