Is a 25 minute exercise video worth it?

Options
I'm starting a Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and they are about 20 to 25 minutes long which is perfect for a mom with five kids and yes I'm eating within a calorie deficit will this short amount of workout video tone me?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    "toning" you would be more to do with your body fat and how much you are eating.

It certainly won't hurt. I'm team "Something > Nothing"
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ALL exercise is worth it. When we lose weight we lose fat+existing lean muscle mass. By adding strength training while losing, you are working to keep the lean muscle you already have. This means a higher % of fat loss.

30 Day Shred is mostly cardio, but there's some strength training too.

So YES - do workouts if you can. "Tone" is just code for losing the layer of fat currently covering up your muscles. Adding muscle mass generally takes a calorie surplus.
  • naomillion
    naomillion Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 Days Shred in the beginning of my journey and although I did not get toned (too many fat layers back then) I definitely got stronger and got a better core strength. I now do 30-60 minutes of HIIT workouts 5-6 times a week and still an occasional Shred workout with increased weights and love seeing my muscles grow and my body getting stronger and stronger :smiley:
    I agree with JoRocka, some exercise is better than none. So try and find out if you like it :wink
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    I'm starting a Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and they are about 20 to 25 minutes long which is perfect for a mom with five kids and yes I'm eating within a calorie deficit will this short amount of workout video tone me?

25 minutes is better than 0 minutes, and 30DS is a pretty good work out.
  • MariannePhoto
    MariannePhoto Posts: 75 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I love 30DS I am on lvl 2 day 6 and before that did the beginner one. I am definitely stronger (can do actual push-ups now) and I just increase the hand weights for added difficulty. My shoulders and back have better definition now for sure. I also walk/jog/hike 5-6 days a week for about 3-5 miles.

With warm up and cool down it's normally 30min for me. Sometimes I add a few more moves to the end. It's 3 min of strength, 2 min of cardio, 1 min of abs three times.