Goal weight

Options
How did you decide your goal weight?
Or should it even matter? Or just lose until you feel good about yourself and not base it off of your weight?

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Most go based on a healthy BMI or how they look in a certain size of clothes. I chose a range, because I know I won't be xxx every single day once I hit 'goal'. The goal weight range I've chosen in the higher end of a healthy BMI for my short stature (I'm just under 5') so while I'll still be considered "overweight", I like the way I look and feel at that particular range/size.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Since I'd never been at a healthy weight as an adult and wasn't sure what I'd look like, I picked the middle of the normal BMI range for my goal weight. I may adjust +/- 5 lbs from there when I reach it. Some people get their bodyfat measured in order to determine how much more they want to lose (or if they want to recomp), which is actually a really good way to see if you're skinny fat (i.e. at a healthy weight but have too much fat).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    I vote for "lose until you feel good" physically, and psychologically, as long as one can be somewhat objective about it. (A distorted body image can be a problem for some.)

I set an initial goal weight around 10-15 pounds above the lowest adult goal weight that I'd felt good/healthy about at that time, but I had the intention to re-evaluate as I got closer. That weight had been around 35-40 years ago, and a lot changes in that much time. Also 'people say' we should be a little heavier when we're older.

I did re-evaluate, on kind of a continuous basis starting about 10 pounds or so above the provisional goal, and ended up going pretty close to my young-adult weight. Since I reduced my loss rate to a crawl by the end of the process, it was easy to evaluate how I was feeling, and coast into a reasonable, healthy goal.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I set my goal weight as the weight I'd been for most of my adult life, before menopause. (135, for 5'8"). Then I set my maintenance zone at anywhere in the 130's. That works for me.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for the high end of a healthy BMI, which is also the low weight for my adult life. It's a place where I'm content with my health and my body. I don't want to go any farther than I need to for my health.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I picked low end of the healthy BMI scale because I've been at that weight before and loved my body.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this as well. My current goal weight is 220, just into the overweight category according to BMI, and I want to hit that by summer (~25 lbs). But in looking at the healthy BMI range for a guy 6' tall, is anywhere from 140 (ludicrous) to 183 lbs. Even 183 sounds too low for my body type.

My plan is to sit at 220 for a while and work on adding muscle, then seeing how things look. I expect I'll be happy in the 190 range, but will see. I don't recall ever being under 200. I know I was, but it was decades ago.
  • BlueberryJoghurt
    BlueberryJoghurt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I set my pretty low on the "normal" range altough tbh looking at all the belly and legs I still have to lose I might go there. Pretty much just sticked to a round number at the bottom of the normal bmi but once I feel alright with it (even if its not the 60kg) Ill probably stop.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I never really had one. I had a BF% in mind and only a very uneducated guess as to what my weight would be at that particular BF%. I thought I was going to have to lose quite a bit more than I did...apparently while I was getting fat, I was also putting on a decent amount of muscle mass.
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just picked a number in the mid range of a healthy BMI for someone my height. I still have 12lbs before I reach this goal, but after I lose another 7, I might look into a recomp instead of killing myself over the last 5 lbs. It all kind of depends on how I feel when I get there.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'5" so BMI is a little off for me. The upper side of normal is 210 pounds. I had been at 208 before, so I set there, but anything under 215 is probably healthy for me. I'm currently at 205. I'm not trying to lose weight, but considering that I typically lose weight during the summer, it wouldn't surprise me if my weight goes down some. I will not go below 200 again.
  • Tacklewasher
    edited April 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I never really had one. I had a BF% in mind and only a very uneducated guess as to what my weight would be at that particular BF%. I thought I was going to have to lose quite a bit more than I did...apparently while I was getting fat, I was also putting on a decent amount of muscle mass.

What do you pick as a BF% and how do you know if you've hit it? I'm trying to figure this out now and, if I average the number I gets from online tools and my scale, using all sorts of measurements, I get that my LBM is ~168 lbs right now. So, if I can maintain that, then I will be at 18% BF once I hit 200.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

What do you pick as a BF% and how do you know if you've hit it? I'm trying to figure this out now and, if I average the number I gets from online tools and my scale, using all sorts of measurements, I get that my LBM is ~168 lbs right now. So, if I can maintain that, then I will be at 18% BF once I hit 200.

This is the chart that I've always seen thrown out when it comes to body fat % targets:

rwkq43s2o1kx.jpg

As for measuring it, I've heard the only reliable way is a DEXA scan. I know I can get one for about $100 at a couple places near me, but I'm also in a metropolitan area, so ymmv.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I'm happiest around 12-15%...not super lean, but lean enough and it's easy to maintain. It's basically about where I was in college, but I weigh more now. I've had a trainer for a few years now and he uses calipers and measures multiple points and he's also very good with just visually looking at someone.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    And that's why I'm confused. It doesn't jive with my current info and the BMI rating.
    So I'm ~245 and about 33.5% BF, judging by my scale and the tools at fat2fit (I average them out). That gives me ~ 163 lbs LBM. so I'd have to get to 11% BF% to hit the 183 the BMI says I should be.

Or am I missing something?
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm basing mine on my age (I'm not a spring chicken anymore) and what I feel like I can reasonably maintain with regular exercise so that I can still enjoy food and social drinking. I'm setting mine at 150 although I'd be happy at 155. (I'm 46, female and 5'8")
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options

I remember seeing somewhere that a lot of obese people have a surprising amount of muscle mass, especially the ones who are still fairly active with normal daily activities. I believe the quote was something like, "it takes A LOT of strength to move around that much weight on a day to day basis!". Wish I could remember the source. . . .
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    And that's why I'm confused. It doesn't jive with my current info and the BMI rating.
    So I'm ~245 and about 33.5% BF, judging by my scale and the tools at fat2fit (I average them out). That gives me ~ 163 lbs LBM. so I'd have to get to 11% BF% to hit the 183 the BMI says I should be.

At 12% I'm around 180ish...174 is the highest end of the BMI scale for me...so according to BMI I'm about 6 Lbs overweight.

I'm cutting winter weight right now and I'm shooting for 175 just 'cuz...I figure that'll put me around 10ish%...just curious more than anything and hoping to knock off a little time on my time trial series this summer.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

At 12% I'm around 180ish...174 is the highest end of the BMI scale for me...so according to BMI I'm about 6 Lbs overweight.

I'm cutting winter weight right now and I'm shooting for 175 just 'cuz...I figure that'll put me around 10ish%...just curious more than anything and hoping to knock off a little time on my time trial series this summer.

Thanks. That helps.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I chose my pre-baby weight. I find it so hard to believe that I've gained 100 pounds in my 7 years post-baby! My plan is to be back to pre-baby weight as well as more fit!