Meat or eggs every meal!

Options
I never really ate eggs or meat at every meal. But im going to start tracking macros on here, I have been loosely tracking in my head and my protein does not get above 70g daily. I think i might add eggs for breakfast but ive been reading a lot online about how you should eat less meat. So i was just wondering how many of you are eating eggs or meat at every meal.

Thanks

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i don't eat any red meat or chicken at all, i hit my protein goals with fish, shrimp, eggs and a lot of greek yogurt.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I hit 130g protein a day - normally a combo of yogurt, chicken, milk (fairlife) and other assorted
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I start each meal with my protein source, and then work around that. But I use a lot of greek yogurt, not just eggs and meat.
  • naomillion
    naomillion Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs and fish and got a whey protein powder to get me to my protein goal (which helped me a lot)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My meals are built up from protein+fat+vegs, but protein is more than just meat and eggs: Milk, yogurt, cheese, fish, other seafood, nuts. Pulses and grains and seeds also have protein. Even vegetables, to a lesser degree.

It's almost hard to not get enough protein.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I eat some kind of protein at nearly every meal, but in general I don't eat eggs or meat more than twice a day. At other meals it might be cheese (usually nonfat cottage cheese, though I eat other kinds), or beans.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When I'm in a deficit i eat a lot of eggs and tuna. That helps me hot my protein while staying a little full
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of eggs. May want to rethink that plan and research the abundant protein options out there. Especially if you work in a cube farm.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A useful tip I heard once is that if you're struggling to get enough protein, try building each meal around a protein-rich food. That could be meat or eggs, although there are other ways to get protein too.

This is what I normally do, and it's not always meat or eggs, could be legumes, for example.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I never really ate eggs or meat at every meal. But im going to start tracking macros on here, I have been loosely tracking in my head and my protein does not get above 70g daily. I think i might add eggs for breakfast but ive been reading a lot online about how you should eat less meat. So i was just wondering how many of you are eating eggs or meat at every meal.

Thanks

What sources are you reading and why are they saying eat less meat?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have some kind of protein at every meal...I usually do have eggs for breakfast and also oats (my coach's oats have 6 grams of protein). For lunch and dinner I usually have some kind of fish, poultry, or lean meat or lentils or legumes, tofu, etc...it doesn't all have to be meat...there are many sources of protein. I also eat Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, other low fat dairy, and a crap ton of veg and some fruit.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I try to have significant protein at most of my meals. It could be meat, eggs, or other things. Cottage cheese has a lot of protein, for example. I eat a lot of that.

There is nothing wrong with eating a lot of meat, unless it is processed meat...things like bacon, sausages, hot dogs, etc.. For those, moderation is good. But chicken, pork and fish are not a problem for most people. Non processed red meats...like a steak...I have read are not really a problem for health, but I admit there are conflicting studies on that so use your own judgment.

I also try to add in a little extra protein when I snack...things like almonds, hummus , peanut butter will help to supplement. There is not enough protein in these to base your diet on, but they are helpful if you are looking to increase.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've reduced the amount of meat/eggs I eat to an average of 1 meal per week or even less. I rely mostly on plant proteins like legumes and grains which I eat on almost every meal.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I definitely have protein at every meal, most often meat or eggs. I do get some of my protein also from cheese, nuts, etc.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I eat protein at every meal, and it's usually meat, fish/seafood or eggs.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I get the majority of my protein from eggs, fish, meats, dairy and some protein powder (but this is minimal). My meat varies - red meat is 1-2 times a week usually. I also get some from the vegies I eat, and some from grain/beans etc.

Another recommendation for planning meals stating with a protein source.
  • manisha236
    manisha236 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get the majority of my protein from eggs, fish, meats, dairy and some protein powder (but this is minimal). My meat varies - red meat is 1-2 times a week usually. I also get some from the vegies I eat, and some from grain/beans etc.

To lose weight, what percentage of protein should I be eating everyday?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    manisha236 wrote: »

To lose weight, what percentage of protein should I be eating everyday?

To lose weight, you simply need a calorie deficit. While losing weight, you want to at least meet your needs for protein (and some people find that getting more protein helps them feel fuller for longer while they're in a deficit). I would suggest starting with MFP's default and adjusting from there.