Binge Eating and Logging?

Options
The_Movie_Chair
The_Movie_Chair Posts: 112 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a question and it might sound rather stupid.

Some of my "friends" here have days when they binge eat or go heavily over their calorie intake. I am no exception. I had a 1,800 calorie easter candy party not so long ago myself.

However, it seems that many (too many) stop logging in the moment when they know that they go overboard and that's the part that scares me. I needed to see the calorie intake of my "Easter party." Seeing my 3,000+ day made me angry.

Not logging isn't that almost like denial? Isn't it like saying. "If I don't write it down it didn't happen."

It scares me because I know deep down that there is a chance that I won't find my way back if I ever stop holding myself accountable here. It's so easy to just slip away. I fear that.

What do I tell members here when they write that the stop logging due to binge eating or overeating? Should I say nothing?

Replies

• The_Movie_Chair
    The_Movie_Chair Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Unless someone is asking for my help or advice, I'm not sure it's my business how they log.

Perhaps admitting that they stopped logging is asking for help?

• WonStepAtaTime
    WonStepAtaTime Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You can tell them your own experience with not logging, just as you did in your message. This may give a perspective they have not yet considered. Sometimes, when we are in denial, we do not realize it. If you bring in your own experience you can gently bring awareness to their denial without it sounding like criticism (which a lot of us do not respond to well). :)
    You have made a very good point, which has given me a reality check. Thank you for that. I hope this helps
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You definitely do the right thing holding yourself accountable. Because at the end of the day when you hit that little "diary complete" button and it says you went over your goal by x amount of calories that guilt you feel inside is what urges you to make sure you workout 6 days a week instead of 5 or eat extra healthy for the next two weeks to lose an extra pound.
    For me just the thought of having to log in a 1000 calorie meal is enough to keep me from eating it, because I will always make myself log it in.

If you think telling the people binging that they should log it and it will help them, then do it!! Just say "hey log that cheat day and use that as motivation to work harder for the next 2 weeks". They will do one of two things. One: thank you and say "you know what you're right". Or two: get upset and possibly unfriendly you.
    But do you really want to be friends with someone that isn't accountable for themselves and doesn't appreciate you motivating them? Isn't that what MFP friend and community is about?

I hope I answered all your questions.
    -K
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm of the mind to keep your eyes on your own paper - unless they directly ask for input.

Yep. Logging it works for YOU (OP) so continue that, don't worry about what others are doing. You don't know their story. How is their not logging harming you? If it does distress you then I would suggest deleting them as friends to protect your own well being.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    munkel1 wrote: »
    that guilt you feel inside is what urges you to make sure you workout 6 days a week instead of 5 or eat extra healthy for the next two weeks to lose an extra pound.

As someone who has struggled with binge-and-restrict cycles, neither guilt nor overexercising nor cutting calories further are helpful ways for me to deal with a high day. The best way for me to avoid it becoming a cycle is to go back to my normal modest deficit the next day.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I always log binges, at least I have good data to look back on.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    p0oygtfnus4a.png

See Saturday
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    munkel1 wrote: »
    that guilt you feel inside is what urges you to make sure you workout 6 days a week instead of 5 or eat extra healthy for the next two weeks to lose an extra pound.

As someone who has struggled with binge-and-restrict cycles, neither guilt nor overexercising nor cutting calories further are helpful ways for me to deal with a high day. The best way for me to avoid it becoming a cycle is to go back to my normal modest deficit the next day.

I think it just depends on what works for you. I don't mean overexercising I just mean doing an extra hour of cardio that week and don't under eat, just if you usually have a Chick-fil-A sandwich for lunch make it a grilled chicken salad. The past 3 years I've been on binge cycles as well. If I want I can eat over 5000 calories a day and I've done it multiple times. But holding myself accountable for it makes me feel guilty and I feel better about myself if I make slightly healthier choices than usual the next couple weeks.
  • prince0449
    prince0449 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree. Unless someone is looking for support, I think pointing out someone's bunges can shame them and lead to them feeling less supported
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Unless someone is asking for my help or advice, I'm not sure it's my business how they log.

Perhaps admitting that they stopped logging is asking for help?

I wouldn't interpret it that way, but they're your friends. Presumably you know them better than I do and you're also receptive to hearing their feedback if you do overstep a boundary.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that when I 'truly' *binge*, it rarely occurs to me to whip out the food scale, set the bowl/plate/cup, etc. weigh it, grab the notebook, write it down, rush to the computer, log it THEN eat it. The binges happen so fast it's like all straight forward thinking goes out the window. To stop and accurately log in the moment has rarely (rarely... happened. Most attempts at logging a binge are simply estimates/guesstimates after the fact.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When i binge i log EVERYTHIN. Mostly for the people i know are following what i eat so they can see its okay to log your entire binge. I would never say anything to someone not logging their binge unless i was asked by them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    I can tell you that when I 'truly' *binge*, it rarely occurs to me to whip out the food scale, set the bowl/plate/cup, etc. weigh it, grab the notebook, write it down, rush to the computer, log it THEN eat it. The binges happen so fast it's like all straight forward thinking goes out the window. To stop and accurately log in the moment has rarely (rarely... happened. Most attempts at logging a binge are simply estimates/guesstimates after the fact.

I think "binge" is being used in a couple of different ways in this post. I agree with you -- a true binge is likely to be, at best, an estimate. Sometimes people even report they don't have a great memory of what they ate.

But people here (and in other places) also use "binge" to mean "I ate more than I really meant to," not in the sense of BED-style binges. I think that is how OP is using it here.

Like I said above, I don't care either way what people log or don't log. The log is a tool for them, not for me. But I think reaching out to chastise someone who is struggling with BED or potential BED for not "properly" logging seems cruel.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's personal, if it helps? track every single thing, if it's to feel worse and punish yourself? forget about it, change the page and start fresh! In my case it doesn't really matter one way or the other (tried both) what's done is done, I just try my best my very next meal, and so on...But I won't undereat or over exercise, that can be a slippery slope FOR ME :)
  • Peacelily70x7
    Peacelily70x7 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old blog, but I would rather see a blog written about the benefits of blogging every bite, of faking it until I make it.. In 2008 I tracked every bite for 3 weeks before I heard the click. Then one time in the middle of my journey I fell off and gained 30 lbs; well, I got back on track by pretending I'd never stopped.. and I started tracking every bite until I became hardcore at it again. No-one could fix me but a positive blog about what I'm doing wrong helped me. It was about faking it until I make it.. I've kept 100 lbs off and today reading one of your blogs I'm ready to move past the 107 and to get to goal.. thanks to reading your latest blog.. 156-Pound Weight loss, and so much more! Thank you, it was very inspiring to both myself and my husband!