Options
SANW15
SANW15 Posts: 118 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by being in a calorie deficit. Low carb isn't necessary for that.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ultimately, whether you count them or not, calories are what count for weight loss.

If restricting your carbs that low gets your overall calorie intake down below how many calories your body uses, you'll lose weight. If you eat enough non-carb calories to get your calorie intake equal to the number of calories your body uses, you won't lose weight beyond a small bump you get from reduced glycogen. If you consume more calories than your body uses, you'll gain weight no matter how many carbs you eat.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matter for weight loss and macros are for satiety.
  • SANW15
    Options
    I like low carb because the amount of fat I eat greatly reduces my hunger. I eat roughly 1200 to 1400 cal a day on low carb and satisfied when I'm not following low carb I feel like I am always hungry and that I'm always munching that's why I don't want to strictly count cals.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Cool! Like I said, calories still count. Sounds like you've found the right macros for eating. Awesome.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I like low carb because the amount of fat I eat greatly reduces my hunger. I eat roughly 1200 to 1400 cal a day on low carb and satisfied when I'm not following low carb I feel like I am always hungry and that I'm always munching that's why I don't want to strictly count cals.

How much do you want to lose weight? If you only kind of want to lose weight, then only kind of count your calories. If you actually want to lose the weight, and know you're putting the effort in to get consistent results, put the effort in to calorie counting.
  • SANW15
    Options
    I need to lose at least 50 lbs but like I've said I don't do as well when I strictly calorie count I'm still eating at a deficit by counting carbs because I eat a lot of protein and stay full.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have heard that you can continuously lose weight by doing strictly low carb under 20g a day. But then I've heard you have to count your macros.... what is everyone's take on this? I have only been counting carbs and have seen progress but not a whole lot of progress.I like low carb because the amount of fat I eat greatly reduces my hunger. I eat roughly 1200 to 1400 cal a day on low carb and satisfied when I'm not following low carb I feel like I am always hungry and that I'm always munching that's why I don't want to strictly count cals.

Ultimately, it comes down to what are your goals and how do you respond to macronutrients. For me, protein is my best friend, followed by carbs. When I cut weight, I cut fat as I am a volume eater. The problem with fats is they are over 2x the amount of calories per gram so they don't allow for volume. For others who are not volume eaters, it seems to be the complete opposite. In the end, you have to find a way that addresses satiety and your goals.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I need to lose at least 50 lbs but like I've said I don't do as well when I strictly calorie count I'm still eating at a deficit by counting carbs because I eat a lot of protein and stay full.

Why can't you eat the same way but track everything? If you have no idea what you're eating besides the carbs, you really have no idea how much you're eating.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Count calories for weight loss, count carbs for satiety. There are many people here who do both.
  • SANW15
    Options
    I input everything I eat into MFP so I do track everything I eat that's how I see how many calories I am consuming but I count carbs while actually eating but in the long run I am doing lower cals.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Those two things really aren't mutually exclusive. You can track your caloric intake AND limit carbs.

Plus, if you're not counting calories, how do you know that you're eating between 1200 and 1400 calories per day?
  • SANW15
    Options
    because I put my food into MFP!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    because I put my food into MFP!

So what's the question?