Weekly weight loss goal?

Options
I have about 130 lns to lose to be at my goal. I am wondering if I should start at 2lbs a week, 1.5, or 1 lb as my weekly weight loss goal? Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I had about 50 lbs to lose and set a goal of 1/2 lbs a week for year. Heading into the end of my second year and I have 12 lbs to go. So I'd say set a goal that is livable and attainable. Good luck.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You should be ok to select 2lbs per week, but I agree with the poster above that setting a goal you can stick to is more important than going fast. Give it a whirl, if you struggle there is no shame in going a little slower. Sow and steady usually wins this race as burning out will halt progress altogether.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I suggest a 1 pound goal and patience. If you are truly in it for the long haul, there's no need for it to be white knuckle ride. Sit back, relax and track everything that crosses your lips.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    For the amount of weight you have to lose, 2 pounds a week is definitely doable for quite a while. And if you do start feeling hungry and tired, you can always lower the goal and have more calories.
  • brittnichol
    brittnichol Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Like the first person said go with something liveable and attainable but if you have a lot to lose it is okay to lose more your first month or so. As long as your not eating too low/resticting theres no reason you wont lose more than that at first but it will eventually taper out. The slower you go the more likely you are to keep it off. Dont do anything that you cant keep up when you do make your goal weight.
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I picked a 2 lb per week loss and it is working for me. I lost more the first month, but since then my loss has settled into a steady 2 lbs per week. For me what has been important is weighing and logging everything I eat, planning my food intake, and eating a balanced diet. I make room in my daily plan for a little of the higher calorie foods that I like, such as wine and small portions of some occasional sweets. I know I am in this for the long term, which helps me stay motivated.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Start at 2lbs, see how you feel with the allotted calories, you can always scale back the loss to accommodate if your finding it unsustainable.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I would start with one pound per week. It's going to give you a little bit of flexibility with calories and you shouldn't feel like you are starving. You can adjust in a month or two depending on how it goes. If you haven't already I highly suggest investing in a food scale to weigh everything you eat. It takes some time and practice to really understand what portions look like.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    You should be able to lose 2 lbs a week right now :smile:
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Being so much over a healthy weight, you could start at 2 lb per week easily.
    Actually, once you get into the groove, while you're still 100+ lb over a healthy weight you can probably safely lose more than that (I've done 5 many times), but start with a goal of 2 lb/week and see how you do.
    As you get closer to a healthy weight, drop your goal bit by bit... because it's going to be harder to lose so much.

Also be aware that it's not going to be linear. One week 5 lb will be easy, the next couple weeks you will wonder why the scale has barely budged. Just keep on eating less than you burn & you will get there.

Plus, take measurements. Because esp. in the beginning you may be losing inches but not weight due to noob muscle gains + fat loss. You'll lose inches, look slimmer, your clothes will be looser, but the scale may not change much.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Eat for a few days and see what you average in calories to feel full. Depending what I eat and how much I exercise, for me this can be anything from 1200 calories to 2200. I have my goal for 2lbs a week- which I have 155 more pounds to lose to get to my goal.
    It may take a week or two for you to find what feels the most comfortable to you calorie wise. When you have 100+ pounds to lose it is way more flexible about how much a week you can lose. The rule of thumb is aim for 1% of you current weight a week. You can also try eating around the amount that will be maintenance for you goal weight- that generally will lose decent weight when very overweight.
  • Aftronthegreat
    Aftronthegreat Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had to start at 1lb a week (I have about 150 to lose). 2lbs was too hard of a shock for me. That being said do what is comfortable with you :smile: if you feel hungry, lower your goal to 1lb / week, or exercise so you can eat more!
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would actually start at the 2lbs a week and go up since you have so much to lose. If after a week, 2lbs a week is just way too low, slowly go up. As bad as it sounds, the extra calories will sound rewarding in a way.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    kayeroze wrote: »
    I would actually start at the 2lbs a week and go up since you have so much to lose. If after a week, 2lbs a week is just way too low, slowly go up. As bad as it sounds, the extra calories will sound rewarding in a way.

2lbs a week is the safest amount of weight to lose per week even over 200 lbs. its possible at first that the losses could be higher, but a lot of it will be water weight.but no one should try to lose more than 2lbs a week,unless under the strict care of a dr for severe health/medical issues.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am 255lbs just now and on 2lbs a week depending on the week i lose between 1-3lbs just now steady and slow :)