Can someone explain deficit

Options
If my resting was 1600 my excersize 200. (I'm rounding)... and my total is 1800..... explain please if I eat 1300 cals does this give me a 500 deficit?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    When you entered your information and told MFP you wanted to lose a certain amount per week it gave you a calorie goal. That calorie goal has already given you a deficit. If you exercise you get to eat another 200 calories on top of your goal. You do not have to subtract calories from your calorie goal to get a deficit.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Most , some, a few, people recommend eating back only a portion (50%) of your exercise calories as they, the exercise calories, are often over stated. Therefore, your 1600 "resting" amount should already have your 500 calorie deficit incorporated therein. So you could go to 1700 safely and stay within your desired deficit. From what you said above it looks like your deficit for that day would be about 1000 calories.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Your body uses energy all day. To keep you alive (BMR), to move thru your day (regular activity) and exercise (cardio in particular burns additional calories).

You can use Google to look up your BMR. Your 'activity' will be a function of your BMR based on how active you consider your daily life. Activity does NOT include exercise, but your job and hobbies and home life and such. If you're sedentary, then your activity would use about 20-25% of your BMR.

Based on your profile, you are female/50 and have 27 pounds to lose. I don't know your height and weight, and those factor into your BMR. Assuming 5'4" and 150 pounds, your BMR would be about 1373 so you'd burn ~1650 if sedentary. MFP uses this information in setting your intake goal. If you tell MFP you want to lose .5 pounds per week, then MFP would tell you to eat 1400 per day. This would be a deficit of 250. Your body is using about 1650, you're eating 1400 or 250 less than your body needs. The additional would be pulled primarily from fat stores causing weight loss over time.

Now if you exercise, you burn additional. That means you can eat more to fuel your workouts - just be careful as its easy to overestimate. My treadmill may say I burn 400 for a 30 minute walk. I know that is bogus. Personally I would not consider more than 150 from a 30 minute walk, based on what I know of my body, size and burn rate.

Also if you are lightly active/active in your lifestyle, then your daily burn (before exercise) would be higher. And of course this is an example based on #s I picked out of the air. Perhaps not too far off from your actual #s but its still a guess.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If my resting was 1600 my excersize 200. (I'm rounding)... and my total is 1800..... explain please if I eat 1300 cals does this give me a 500 deficit?

Yes.