Sometimes I have to throw things away, and ban myself from "trigger foods".

Options
2»

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    If it's not something you want in your life, then avoid it. Some people moderate. Some people abstain.
    http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

Thanks so much for the link to Gretchen Rubin's article. I thought it was amusing when she said that the abstainers and the moderators try to convert each other to their way of thinking. I've noticed a lot of that on MFP.
    Reading that helped me realize that "right for me" and "right for everybody" aren't the same thing. I'm a total moderator. I can eat one square of dark chocolate and make a bar last for weeks. I can make the protein cheesecake and eat one piece of breakfast every day (for the record, it's not the best cheesecake in the world, but it is amazingly nutritious and pretty good for what it is). That's me - and I'm glad it's me. But if people like the OP find it really hard to moderate, it's 100% ok to just decide that that is who they are and set themselves up for success.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the loss so far.

This is the reason I've tried to stop baking at home unless I can make individual portion items like the protein muffins which are only 80-100 cals each. I had friends over last Friday and made some Chocolate Orange Flourless Brownies, I had a small piece on the evening and sent one of my friends home with the leftovers, if I left it in the fridge I would demolish it which would have been around 1000 calories.

I have to say I agree with a lot of other posters, in that excessively restricting yourself can land you right back in the same binging cycle, maybe resolve not to bake at home unless there are other people joining you for dinner and if you do want something sweet go out and buy a single portion of something you will enjoy and make it fit your calories.

• wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I always over eat on the dough when I make cookies. Last time I made cookies, I did it on my fast day so I couldn't taste at all, and immediately froze them in ice trays. Now when I want a cookie, I can take one out and bake it.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Did these desserts really set you back from your goal or is it something bigger?

How I handle moderating dessert:
    I don't have it every day.
    I do have the good stuff- not something I don't even like.
    I plan my consumption and prelog it.
    I eat dessert for a snack after I have met my nutritional goals so it isn't taking away from me having satisfying meals.
    I have a small family. I reduce the sizes of recipes to something manageable.
    I give it away to others so I have my taste but not the whole batch.

These are typical things "moderators" do. They have strength of character in the food arena. But as an "abstainer" myself, I can look at your list, agree with it, make a plan to follow it, and then not be able to abide by it time after time after time. Lots of striving and failing can be exhausting. I find it easier to abstain and avoid all the drama.

I'm curious if any of you food moderators are also able to moderate shopping, alcohol, or gambling. And do you manage time well?

I'm an "abstainer" who has had no success moderating sweets, but I can moderate shopping, alcohol, and gambling just fine. However, time management is sometimes a struggle.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    If it's not something you want in your life, then avoid it. Some people moderate. Some people abstain.
    http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

Thanks so much for the link to Gretchen Rubin's article. I thought it was amusing when she said that the abstainers and the moderators try to convert each other to their way of thinking. I've noticed a lot of that on MFP.
    Good article - thanks.

I'm not sure people are permanently one or the other. A lot of people just seem to end up in one group because of what's going on at the moment.